Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Tigers whipped Bama with fresh legs: Swinney's formula works to everyone's benefit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

TNET: Tigers whipped Bama with fresh legs: Swinney's formula works to everyone's benefit

May 11, 2019, 8:01 AM

Tigers whipped Bama with fresh legs: Swinney's formula works to everyone's benefit

There were Travis Etienne’s fresh legs bouncing off Alabama defenders early in the Tigers’ win over the Crimson Tide in the National Championship in January. Walk-ons were getting valuable playing time against previously undefeated NC State. And two years ago, the Tigers ran over and through a tired Alabama defense on the way to the school’s first National Championship since 1981. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love our system.

May 11, 2019, 8:16 AM

We may have had a slow start to the season with a couple of close games but by the end of the year we were far and away the best team in the country.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love our system.

May 11, 2019, 8:32 AM

We were running two different offenses for the first four weeks of the season and rebuilding in the secondary.

As for the games:

1. Any win at Kyle Field is a good one. Jimbo Fisher has always been a pain in the neck. Both teams had some really weird luck. TAMU finished 9-4.

2. Georgia Southern was closer than anyone would have liked, but that game was never in doubt because of our
defense. GSU finished 10-3.

3. Syracuse was a good team and we were playing a RS freshman, third string QB for most of the game. 'Cuse also finished 10-3.

All good points.

May 11, 2019, 8:51 AM

We were constantly rotating players on offense. We were sending out a different group of receivers on nearly every series. Chemistry is hard to develop early in the season when you do this. The QB’s rotating had a lot to do with it. Once that was settled and Trevor remained healthy the team never looked back. No game was ever in doubt in the fourth quarter.

Re: TNET: Tigers whipped Bama with fresh legs: Swinney's formula works to everyone's benefit

May 11, 2019, 8:25 AM

Dabo's formula for success is pretty simple.

1. Recruit guys who will contribute. Not just blue-chip recruits, but guys who will put the work in and be a positive influence on the team.

2. Keep your assistants happy. This leads to consistency in coaching.

3. Develop your players, both on and off the field.

4. Play everyone who has earned it. This reduces the risk of injury, reduces the consequences of injuries to the team, and leaves you fresher in the 4th quarter and at the end of the season.

Re: TNET: Tigers whipped Bama with fresh legs: Swinney's formula works to everyone's benefit

May 11, 2019, 8:27 AM

Don't be surprised if Alabama starts copying this model of playing more players and resting starters this year. Most of their games aren't tough as we saw last year, and it would be easy for them to do the same.

May 11, 2019, 8:33 AM

It takes a special staff and group of players to be this unselfish. I’m not sure Saban is as interested as building for the future or the players he recruits to his NFL factory will want to give up the stats.

You are correct many will try to copy, but just like everything else it takes a special culture to do what Dabo is doing.

null

They will. Saban has already moved away from a total smash mouth

May 11, 2019, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tigers whipped Bama with fresh legs: Swinney's formula works to everyone's benefit ]

offensive style to an offense that looks a lot more like the one that has beaten him 2 of the last 3 years in the championship. He should’ve started making the transition years ago when Oklahoma and Utah whooped that butt.

Honestly Saban is not on the cutting edge of coaching. He’s been behind for years but having the best players has kept him winning. The SEC as a whole has not evolved offensively and that’s a big reason why he hasn’t had to change. Ole Miss got him a couple of times with our style of offense as did A&M. He should’ve started changing then but he didn’t. I honestly think he may be closer to retirement than most think. I think Dabo has overtaken him. This year we will see.

May 11, 2019, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Tigers whipped Bama with fresh legs: Swinney's formula works to everyone's benefit ]

I’m surprised it took so long. This isn’t a big secret and has been color commentary fodder for years. With the talent that Bama and OK and OSU have it amazes me that they’re still behind on this.

Propaganda to distract us from Baseball...fire Bill Wilhelm

May 11, 2019, 8:31 AM

Monte Leggett for AD

SSHHHHHHHHH!***

May 11, 2019, 8:47 AM

We THREE Deep

May 11, 2019, 9:58 AM

With the great recruiting by the Tiger football coaches, we just too deep for other good teams to keep up with us. Let's go get some more championships in 2019!!

https://youtu.be/HRzTXZCUINU

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The whole season was just a practice season getting ready

May 11, 2019, 10:07 AM

for the championship game.

That's why it's great to have a coach with [the right] vision.

May 11, 2019, 10:13 AM

Damm good read!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2019, 10:27 AM

Last season about 3 games in someone here said that Alabama looked much better than Clemson. I pointed out that I agreed, but that Clemson gets better as the season progresses. They responded that they thought Alabama would progress just as much during the season as Clemson. This article explains precisely why that is not true. Dabo builds depth during the season more than any other major program. It can be frustrating as a fan sometimes when you want to pummel a lesser opponent. Dabo knows what he is doing for sure.

May 11, 2019, 10:36 AM

Dabo isn't just a charismatic guy, he isn't just a "player's coach", he isn't just a good, moral man. He also is a very smart coach, going against the conventional wisdom of "top" college football coaches like Saban and Meyer and recognizing the multiple benefits of giving more players more playing time.

I love that our feathered friends continue to call him "Dumbo". The more blind they are to the situation, the less likely they re to demand a fix (if there is one).

May 11, 2019, 10:56 AM

Opponent fans who call Coach Swinney "Dumbo" are certainly identifying one dumbo for sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2019, 10:38 AM

Two things:
I said during that N.C. State game that playing all those guys would pay off down the road. I also told everyone I talked with leading up to the NCG that we would beat Bama BECAUSE of that very day that served as a microcosm of each team’s approach.

Unfortunately, the answer to “How and when will this all end?” can be found in what I will call the Bryant/Feaster Effect. Without those two we don’t get to the CFP last season. Gotta get those guys who are all about the team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Lots of bragging these days

May 11, 2019, 12:35 PM

Let's just keep winning with class. And while we're at it keep some of our recipes to ourselves

May 11, 2019, 2:34 PM

SEC dorks will counter with Clemson plays nobody in the ACC and the SEC is all tough all the time. Of course, they don't contribute how the play the Citadel and Western Carolina and other cream puffs. Or, how Iowa beat Miss State in their bowl game proving they aren't all that tough.
SEC fans are the dumbest of the dumb and who is a fan of a conference in the first place? If it's about the south versus everybody else, Clemson is also pretty southern.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic