Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Tigers have that familiar, and uncomfortable, Sunday Regional feeling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

TNET: Tigers have that familiar, and uncomfortable, Sunday Regional feeling

Jun 2, 2019, 8:01 AM

Tigers have that familiar, and uncomfortable, Sunday Regional feeling

Clemson’s baseball team is in all too familiar situation heading into Sunday. For the fourth consecutive year, Clemson opened postseason play with a win on Friday. And for the fourth straight year, the Tigers dropped the second game of a regional, setting up a possible three-game stretch of win-or-go-home for the Tigers.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baseball is full of dumb statements and excuses, but....

Jun 2, 2019, 8:42 AM

the interview with Monte Lee is trying to set a new standard. For him to say "we didn't have many opportunities" is ridiculous. I believe we had as many opportunities as Ole Miss did. Ole Miss made things happen with their opportunities, we didn't. For us to deal with reality, Monte's coach-speak should have conveyed the idea that we didn't do much to help ourselves and we can't wait for luck to help.

Talk like that interview suggests that baseball is mostly a game of chance and that luck plays an important roll. There is always some luck in any competitive sport, but by and large, skill, effort and teamwork are the main differences between success and failure. If Ole Miss had more opportunities due to luck, it was because they were lucky to draw us as an opponent. The truth is that they were a much better team in terms of hitting and pitching and they whipped our butts.

Baseball has many facets, but we are woefully ragged at too many of them, starting with pitching and hitting..... and there is nothing that can be done at this point in a season to correct it. The time for that is in recruiting and coaching - which is where we appear to me to be falling short.

Monte's insight is correct about the rest of this tournament..... we'll need a whole lot more "opportunities" to succeed.

End of rant..... can't wait to hear the next interview of ..... "Bottom line is"......

Answers start with the questions...

Jun 2, 2019, 8:51 AM

When was the last original question a reporter ever asked? Frankly, it's all a waste of time. Clemson loses because a guy pitched really well. When Clemson wins, people still gripe because Clemson isn't getting respect. Jeebus...WTH do folks want to hear/read?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Answers start with the questions...

Jun 2, 2019, 9:01 AM

I didn't hear much in the way of answers - only excuses.

Yes, the Ole Miss pitcher threw a good game, but as usual, we struggle to hit good pitching..... and can't find good pitching of our own.

Our hitters can hit fastballs over the fence, but do not have a good eye for the ball and strike zone as it comes off the pitcher's hand - and as a result put their highly styled swings on a whole lot of air entirely too often.

I was glad to see us trying to swing earlier in the count and not take so many strikes while looking for a particular pitch, but if a batter doesn't have an eye for the strike zone, swinging at everything doesn't do much good..... and swinging for the fences is often a disaster.

Whatever, I'll be cheering for 'em next game.

Re: Baseball is full of dumb statements and excuses, but....

Jun 2, 2019, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Baseball is full of dumb statements and excuses, but.... ]

And that’s the truth! Excellent post Columbia tiger66

Re: TNET: Tigers have that familiar, and uncomfortable, Sunday Regional feeling

Jun 2, 2019, 9:47 AM

Win today, and we will have to face that same pitcher from yesterday in the second game with Missy, but our guys will beat him if they face him again!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2019, 10:15 AM

You think they will pitch him with 2 days rest after over 110 pitches? Have doubts that we can beat their #3 starter with our #4 though, so they won't have to make that decision.. (Hoping to put the hex on my prediction).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2019, 11:06 AM

Yeah, no way he pitches again but they’ve only had to use two pitchers in the tournament. I was a little surprised they didn’t jerk the day 1 starter since they jumped to a big lead.

A little shocked that Monte left Askew in but he could probably still go.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2019, 1:10 PM

Several times the past two days the game announcers stated that Clemson baseball fans expect to win. That’s correct in my opinion, but I wondered if the expectation was warranted. A quick search reveals that Clemson has made 12 trips to the CWS since it began in 1947, an average of once every 6 years and tied with Florida in 11th place for most appearances all time. So yes, I think the expectation is warranted and the growing dissatisfaction with not having returned to Omaha since 2010 understandable.

Jun 2, 2019, 1:31 PM

Just go out and be competitive today , didn’t have much of a chance to beat ole Miss any way.
But at least if we play them again, make them work to win this regional.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic