Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Ten Years In: Swinney promised bold moves with 'nothing to lose' as interim
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

TNET: Ten Years In: Swinney promised bold moves with 'nothing to lose' as interim

Oct 9, 2018, 1:06 PM

Ten Years In: Swinney promised bold moves with 'nothing to lose' as interim

Ten years ago this week, on a Tuesday, the Clemson football program took a giant leap forward when Athletic Director named a little-known wide receivers coach named Dabo Swinney as the interim head coach. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The birth of the best coach ever at Clemson

Oct 9, 2018, 1:19 PM

Love you coach Swinney. I have had dreams of playing college ball for you and I wish I could change time around to do so. In another life perhaps. Thank you for everything you've done for Clemson, the players, the fans, and the staff! All In!

Re: The birth of the best coach ever at Clemson

Oct 9, 2018, 2:40 PM

10 years later he's still going full speed, putting the players first and still making BOLD moves. Great job Dabo!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Ten Years In: Swinney promised bold moves with 'nothing to lose' as interim

Oct 9, 2018, 1:23 PM

So hard to believe it’s been 10 years already, here’s to another 10 years

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Ten Years In: Swinney promised bold moves with 'nothing to lose' as interim

Oct 9, 2018, 1:37 PM

:) ;)

Funny how

Oct 9, 2018, 1:48 PM

Carol Goldsmith and Geoff Hart didn't really know how to pronounce Dabo Swinney's name. Now he's the greatest coach in Clemson history and probably the only person in Clemson who the majority of the city would do almost anything for...Hope he stays forever.
Name everything after him. Frank Howard won't mind.

Not so fast.

Oct 9, 2018, 1:59 PM

The field continues to bear the Howard name and the stadium continues to be named Memorial Stadium with the nickname Death Valley. That shall not change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So Dabo can have The Rock then.

Oct 9, 2018, 9:00 PM

:D

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Funny how

Oct 9, 2018, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Funny how ]

He will go down in history as one of the best ever. This is Germans, but he embodies all that is good about college sports.

Re: Funny how

Oct 9, 2018, 3:02 PM

He definitely does embody the best of college sports. Best is the standard starts at the top. The way he treats the players is the reason he continues to bring in elite talent. Who wouldn’t want their son in his program?!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Build around the east endzone above The Hill

Oct 9, 2018, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Funny how ]

"The Dabo Swinney East Zone"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Oct 9, 2018, 1:49 PM

The first I heard was Philpott posting that the interim coach would be the wide receiver coach who was very popular with the players. I confess I really knew very little about Dabo at the time. Guess it turned out ok, huh?

Oct 9, 2018, 2:04 PM

I’ll confess. My first thoughts were “great another head coach with little or no head coaching experience. We want to be big time, but the last three HC hires had 4 years of HC experience between them”
Glad I wasn’t on the hiring committee. Great hire by TDP.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hahaha I felt the same way!

Oct 9, 2018, 2:27 PM

I will keep my day job and stay out of football operations.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was pulling into the parking lot of The Flat Rock Grill...

Oct 9, 2018, 5:38 PM

in Asheville for a meeting with several business partners when my son called me from his dorm room at Clemson and said "Dad, did you hear that Tommy Bowden just resigned". My first response was "I hope they hire Dabo Swinney as the head coach". I had a gut about Dabo mainly from his ability to recruit and his gung ho, never say no attitude.

Great hire TDP! GO TIGERS!

As long as we're waxing nostalgic...

Oct 9, 2018, 3:17 PM

This ESPN article opens with Dabo's breakfast with the BOT when he told them he didn't want to be like Georgia or Florida. Couldn't find the video clip of Dabo telling the story but here's the article.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/15195553/how-dabo-swinney-turned-clemson-model-program-not-being-alabama

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

And this epic tweet...

Oct 9, 2018, 3:21 PM

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/819920704908890113

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

The Muschamp Mistake

Oct 9, 2018, 3:44 PM

Wow - what a dodged bullet. I had forgotten that, as Geoff Hart mentions at the 5:40 mark of the first video, how the "Texas Defensive Coordinator" was a candidate for our job. At the time, that was none other than Will Muschamp.

Funny how life works out sometimes ;).

Re: The Muschamp Mistake

Oct 9, 2018, 7:31 PM

I remember reading the Sports Illustrated article after Dabo's first game, a 21-17 loss to Georgia Tech, which basically dismissed any thinking that he had a chance to land the job permanently. The 2 names floated as possible candidates for head coach: Will Muschamp & Lane Kiffin!

Great Look Back!

Oct 9, 2018, 4:04 PM

I love reminiscing. Huge thank you to AD Terry Don Phillips for giving our man, Dabo, a chance! He saw something in him that probably nobody else in the entire world saw. Hard to believe it was 10 years ago... I remember exactly where I was when the news broke of Tommy's ousting. Those were uncertain times, and back then I had only dreamed of where Coach Swinney would take our program over those next 10 years! What a ride! So proud to be a Clemson grad.

"All About the Players"

Oct 9, 2018, 4:41 PM

When Coach Swinney made the statement that his tenure at Clemson would be "all about the players" he immediately moved himself ahead of the 3 previous coaches. And no words have ever been more acted upon.

When it comes to players he does not see problems, he sees potential - no matter background, status, or economics.

When it comes to pain, he sees healing but always with experts leading the way.

When negative nonsense starts to fill the airwaves, he sets those responsible straight.

When it comes to color - he only sees one, orange (with maybe a little purple and white thrown in).

Simple, straightforward, genuine. Not the stuff that exotic novels are written about but a lot can be written about one of the winningest football programs in the country with no end in sight.

All in. The BEST!

Message was edited by: CaliforniaTiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2018, 5:31 PM

What we saw 10 years ago is what we see now.
The focus on growing players into men, graduating those players, recruiting well and winning championships. All that holds true today.

Compare this to the 'Chump down the road'and his head coach hiring press conference.
His biggest sound bite was being able to 'sell ice to eskimoes'.
On second thought...that still holds true also...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo Came In As A.....

Oct 9, 2018, 6:50 PM

Junkyard dog. Now he has a pedigree that few an touch . Many can try to emulate his program but there's only one Dabo and he belongs to Clemson .

Like many I was worried what would happen when TB left . Then I thought I like this Dabo feller' when the season ended; he seems to have enthusiasm for the program and the players . That feeling was cemented after the LSU win. I knew TDP had picked a winner .

Re: Dabo Came In As A Junkyard Dog

Oct 9, 2018, 7:02 PM

No, his papers may have been misplaced for a while when he was rehomed from AL, but he's always been a Golden Retriever.

With all due respect, I wish people wouldn't refer to

Oct 10, 2018, 12:25 PM

Bowden's dismissal as 'resigning'. You don't resign and take a colossal buyout with you.

Re: With all due respect, I wish people wouldn't refer to

Oct 10, 2018, 12:46 PM

The “people” you refer to are the two principals involved - Terry Don Phillips and Coach Bowden. Are you calling them liars?

He was allowed to resign. TDP treated him well and paid his buyout. Maybe one of the reasons Clemson can attract good coaches to this day is we are fair and treat people fairly.

10 years later, $3.5 million seems like a good deal for Clemson to pay Tommy for:

- hiring Dabo when he was out of coaching (Thank you Tommy Bowden!!)
- improving our recruiting markedly over the Tommy West years
- starting the ball rolling on convincing the administration we needed improved facilities to compete
- leaving gracefully and recommending Dabo for the interim role

You could argue that the contract extension was a mistake, and that Clemson should have let Bowden go to Arkansas if indeed there was a legitimate offer for him there. But then, we probably don’t end up with Dabo Swinney as our coach. So it all worked out.

Finally $3.5M doesn’t seem so colossal when compared to the $32M Auburn would owe Malzahn to make him disappear.

K. "Treated him well and allowed him to resign"?

Oct 10, 2018, 3:38 PM

Having been in management for a long time, I'm well aware that people get terminated and it's called a resignation to save face and resume', especially at high levels of employment.

The rest of your argument has absolutely nothing to do with the fact he was let go. It's simply the same old argument of how great he was for Clemson, which I did not refer to what he did or did not do. I can tell you this, while he may have been an improvement over West and Hatfield, that really wasn't a stretch to reach that point.

He improved some things, but he was a divisive figure and that fact manifested itself in the fact that Dabo had to unify the team and the fans. He would've made a good athletic director but he was NOT a good coach. If he was, he'd have gotten at least one offer at another school. He took money, yes, a colossal amount of money, that he did not earn. And Bowden 10 years ago has zero to do with Auburn or Malzahn or Saban or Mickey Mouse. Coach salaries are exponentially higher than they were then.

I know a little more about him than you may realize. You have no idea who I am or what I know, so save your Bowden love rhetoric for someone who cares.

Re: K. "Treated him well and allowed him to resign"?

Oct 10, 2018, 4:37 PM

You are obviously a very important person who is too important to share who exactly you are.

Interesting paragraph here from today’s SI article on the Bowden to Swinney transition:

“Bowden had first met with athletic director Terry Don Phillips around six that morning. Though the semantics remain up for debate, the gist of the conversation isn’t. Phillips intended to fire Bowden at the end of the season. After reflecting for a little while on what Phillips had said, Bowden met with his boss again. “If I’m the reason we’re not having success, I need to remove myself now,” Bowden remembers telling Phillips. Then the two men began discussing who would shepherd the Tigers for the remaining seven weeks of the season. “I said, ‘I myself would recommend Dabo.’ When I said that, he just kind of sat back in his chair and got quiet,” Bowden says. “I could tell I kind of threw him for a loop a little bit.”

Guess some could call it a firing, others a resignation. But since Tommy took matters into his own hands, I believe resignation is the best fit.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic