Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: From the Press Box: Breaking down the California trip
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

TNET: From the Press Box: Breaking down the California trip

Jan 22, 2019, 8:13 AM

From the Press Box: Breaking down the California trip

The view from the press box in Santa Clara was better than expected and the attendance was better than expected. The final result was even better than expected.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The radio show with the Bama beat writer...

Jan 22, 2019, 8:53 AM

Was that before or after the game?

I can’t imagine anyone saying Bama would win 5/10 after that showing!

davidhood®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We went by the San Jose State football stadium the morning

Jan 22, 2019, 11:42 AM

of the game to check out where the Tigers had been practicing while in Cali. The SJSU baseball team had just finished up a workout on the field and the several that we spoke with told us good luck and that they were pulling for the Tigers. Just some of the support we experienced from the locals out there.

The PLANNERS for this game DODGED a HUGE bullet!

Jan 22, 2019, 12:14 PM

The weather cooperated, the normally soggy field held up, and some of the most dedicated fan bases in all of college football followed their teams out to this unlikely part of the country ... all contributing to a great spectacle in what could have been a total disaster.

Hopefully they won’t press their luck down the road. The game should never be held in such a risky venue again.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: From the Press Box: Breaking down the California trip

Jan 22, 2019, 12:44 PM

A couple thoughts...

-San Jose is a nice city. Definitely has a SF feel to it (with far less homeless) and it's bigger than I expected but most everything was in walking distance from the hotel. Some good breweries, restaurants, and sports bars. They also had some great multi-vendor food halls. Enjoyed my stay there.

-It was probably 55/45 in terms of Clemson/Alabama fans in the stadium (maybe even 60/40), but it felt like 80/20 in San Jose on Saturday and Sunday. Similar to Tampa and Phoenix.

- I don't like the idea of permanently having the NCG in Dallas. Sure, Dallas is convenient, but I'm not a fan of any stadium/dome where you have to drive 30 minutes outside the city to a stadium that's sitting in the middle of nowhere. Arlington was 30 minutes away with no traffic. It wan an hour drive back after the game. The best venues are in/near the city. I'm not a fan of the city of Atlanta, but the stadium's location is great-- it's right downtown, you can walk to/from hotels and restaurants. New Orleans and Nashville are ideal as well.

Jan 22, 2019, 12:54 PM

Nashville in January? Yes you could drive but the weather is iffy and cold. Keep it in a good spot easily accessible by everyone.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2019, 1:25 PM

Hey, we lucked out with Santa Clara on gameday. Could have been WAY worse than it was. Sunday felt like a hurricane was blowing through.

Jan 22, 2019, 1:02 PM

Had a really good time at the game, as someone else said they dodged a huge bullet... travel was ridiculous, hotels were ridiculous... I went thru Phoenix with an airline switch to make it somewhat affordable...

How they made a game the same time as the largest Pharma conference on the country is beyond poor planning...

getting to/from the game was surprisingly easy and the pre game Kieth Urban concert with direct entry to the stadium was a welcome touch...

Going to the game it was 99% "hope you guys beat Bama", on the way home 99% "congrats on a great game, glad you beat 'bama" ...

Wonder if Clemson will have that bullseye on their back going forward .... hope the fanbase stays grounded, this is special time to be a Tiger fan.

overall positive experience...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice write-up. Good to hear the insider prospective

Jan 22, 2019, 3:42 PM

We were blessed to go to both the Cotton and Santa Clara and will add:

Cotton:
* Bigger city but locals seemed more into football in general and college (although more pro football)
* Stadium is extremely nice - sight lines, food, restrooms, etc. Stadium staff were also extremely nice.
* Stadium location in the middle of nowhere - no mass transit. Pretty much had to drive and park or if Ubering have a ride back planned.
* Not much to do but eat (not that's bad I like outdoor activities)

Santa Clara:
* Was somewhat dreading this because of the long flights (and weather problems getting there), wary of the environment, etc. We ended up really enjoying - partly because we had very low expectations.
* Even though the surrounding area was smaller, locals seems almost oblivious that there was a college football championship in the midst.
* Nice stadium with weird fan allotments. On the flight path for San Jose so lots of low flying (literally wheels down) aircraft. Got really lucky with the weather.
* REALLY NICE fun things to do within 1-2 hours drive - Monterrey, Redwood forests, etc.

Both:
* I think Alabama fans live in rabbit holes around the country - you hardly see any out an about before the game and then they magically appear in the stadium 15 minutes before kickoff

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic