Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Catching up with Clemson great Woody Dantzler, a mentor and role model
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

TNET: Catching up with Clemson great Woody Dantzler, a mentor and role model

Jun 25, 2019, 1:46 PM

Catching up with Clemson great Woody Dantzler, a mentor and role model

Woody Dantzler is a familiar face around the Clemson football facility, where he acts as an observer, a former player, and a friend. His most important job, however, comes with the words of his dad echoing in his memory. Be more than a football player. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I loved watching him play for the Tigers. He was electric

Jun 25, 2019, 2:00 PM

and you never wanted to quit watching for fear of missing a great play.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I loved watching him play for the Tigers. He was electric

Jun 25, 2019, 2:33 PM

He should have won the heisman

Re: TNET: Catching up with Clemson great Woody Dantzler, a mentor and role model

Jun 25, 2019, 2:01 PM

I definitely DEFINITELY want to hear from Woody on Tnet as a regular contributor. That would be fantastic!

Re: TNET: Catching up with Clemson great Woody Dantzler, a mentor and role model

Jun 25, 2019, 2:27 PM

yep. will never forget his huge games vs GT and NCSt. Electric is almost an understatement

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of my all time favorites at CU

Jun 25, 2019, 6:04 PM

You knew everytime you watched him play, there was a chance you’d see something that made your jaw drop.

Jun 25, 2019, 2:25 PM

Glad to see he enjoys his role as a former player to help mentor our current ones. What a player he was, I will always remember his pass to Gardener to set up the winning field goal against sc.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2019, 2:52 PM

That has to be the one that the only thing the coots could say about the play was that Gardener pushed off on the defender, they didn't see the defender grabbing Gardener, and Gardener pushing to get loose from him, they have always saw just one side of the play, and that was of Gardener pushing off!!! But the coots never break the rules do they ;)!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was there that cold night...ancient history now

Jun 25, 2019, 7:04 PM

But, I had ridden the coot bus with my coot ex-wife and old D.Rad was there too if memory serves, along with many other illustrious dirt peckers not worth mentioning. Man, I slept with a smile on my face on that long ride back to Cootlumbia. That was just before the beginning of the good years of 0-21 with Lou. I was also sitting right behind R. Tanner when we put the 63-17 beat down in '03. Good seats!

So many good memories ????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2019, 2:38 PM

To have been a Clemson QB, he was as good of a QB/RB as any QB that we have ever had that could also run or pass the ball... Woody could do both equally as well as any we've had at that position at Clemson, and he was very hard for defenses take down once he got moving!!! That old saying that said, he's a tough Nut to Crack, that saying fit Woody to the T!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2019, 3:17 PM

Would love to see Woody in the offense from the last few years and see what he could do. All the weapons we have had his numbers would be off the chart. One of my favorite Tigers.

Jun 25, 2019, 3:50 PM

#1 of the best I’ve ever seen.

Jul 3, 2019, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Catching up with Clemson great Woody Dantzler, a mentor and role model ]

He would have probably been a lot like Kelly Bryant. Very similar skill sets.

KB definitely had some Woody 2.0 moments, especially against NC State, UofSC, Miami, and Texas A&M.

Named my chihuahua Woody D!

Jun 25, 2019, 3:44 PM

Because of his speed and uncanny ability to change direction. Woody is now deceased but I was able to tell Dantzler on the radio once. He laughed pretty hard when he asked what kind of dog and I said Chihuahua.

my favorite Tiger of ALL time***

Jun 25, 2019, 3:56 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Woody was the man

Jun 25, 2019, 4:27 PM

Before DW4 and TL16 (aka GOAT 1 and GOAT 2), Woody was the man. And as exciting and pro-ready as these GOATS are, Woody was as exciting to watch as any QB who ever suited up for Clemson. Kind of a Lamar Jackson-Tajh Boyd hybrid IMHO. Watching Dantzler play against Ga Tech's Joe Hamilton was as good as a regular season game can get.

Glad to see Woody engaged and look forward to hearing more ... Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Woody was the man

Jul 3, 2019, 11:45 AM

GT had the best offense in college football and one of the worst defenses that year.

That was a 47-44 shootout in an era when it was rare for one team to score 40. We would have won that too, if we hadn't spotted them a 21 point lead before Streeter got hurt and Woody came in.

Re: TNET: Would love to

Jun 25, 2019, 4:32 PM

hear from Woody throughout the season. I'd be very interested in hearing his breakdown of TL and the offense as a whole. Hope that happens!

The more Woody Dantzler the better***

Jun 25, 2019, 4:40 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Jun 25, 2019, 4:48 PM

I'd sure like to have a highlight disc of Woody's big plays! I thought he was the best in open field there's ever been!
Definitely should've been invited to New York.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 8:21 PM

You Tube has alot of Woody.

Jun 25, 2019, 5:09 PM

He was never an amazing passer, but he could extend plays with his running ability, and he was fast. As good as I can remember he was somewhat like Michael Vick in that regard. I don't remember him being a bad passer, just somewhat average. Let's face it though, until DW4, Clemson just did not have much of a chance at attracting 5* players then. It has now gotten where Clemson is going to get top tier talent every year.

More please . . .

Jun 25, 2019, 6:10 PM

!

Best individual performance ever was given to us by Woody

Jun 25, 2019, 8:17 PM

Up in Raleigh, 2001!!!

Got tickets right behind our bench from a high dollar NCSU Sales Rep of mine . . . Took my Dad . . . Had a blast!!!

Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/gZ-BYMc1UTo

(Sorry about the poor video quality!)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best individual performance ever was given to us by Woody

Jun 25, 2019, 11:01 PM

I enjoyed that!
Man there was a lot of big names on that Tiger team!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best individual performance ever was given to us by Woody

Jun 25, 2019, 11:04 PM [ in reply to Best individual performance ever was given to us by Woody ]

2008?

Nice catch . . . Fixed it. . . .

Jun 26, 2019, 12:54 AM

2001 . . . Much more better!!!

Here's a link to the entire game should you care to watch:

https://youtu.be/qf1M0BoWZIc

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like he could suit up at LB***

Jun 25, 2019, 11:02 PM

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

Jun 26, 2019, 12:01 AM

There was nobody that I had rather see with the ball in their hands with a 4th and 3 with us needing a score at the end of a ball game. He would find a way to get it every time!

Thanks to Tommy Bowden I had a field pass

Jun 26, 2019, 1:27 AM

For the games against NC State and Georgia Tech that year and I couldn't have picked better games to see Woody play on the road that season.
He was incredible! The bomb to McKelvey right before the half vs Tech and then Woody's victory run to beat Ga Tech in Atlanta!! Wow!! He was an incredible athlete! Today's game with these vulture agents would've tried to convince him to go pro a year early but Woody would've been too smart for that.
Thanks for the memories Woody Dantzler!! I recall talking to him after some games and I couldn't believe how short he was but that just seemed to add to his elusiveness!!
We have been blessed with great qb talent over the years here at Clemson!!
I still remember Coach Bowden calling the defense over telling them just stop them one time just one time!!!
Pissed Reggie off but he knew TB was right. Our D cost us so many games that season.

Jun 26, 2019, 7:25 AM

Woody Dantzler one of Clemson's all time great! Incredible talent, really before his time! Look forward to hearing his thoughts this year! Always great to hear from the past great ones!

Thank you very much. What a great article!***

Jun 26, 2019, 9:35 AM

Jun 27, 2019, 4:10 PM

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic