Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Tuesday practice observations: Simmons, Muse and QBs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

New Story: Tuesday practice observations: Simmons, Muse and QBs

Aug 22, 2017, 3:29 PM

Tuesday practice observations: Simmons, Muse and QBs

With classes set to begin on Wednesday, Clemson held its final practice of fall camp Tuesday afternoon in Jervey Meadows. The media was allowed to attend for a short 30 minutes and we have several observations to pass along before we meet with the players and coaches for post practice interviews. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Tuesday practice observations: Simmons, Muse and QBs

Aug 22, 2017, 3:43 PM

:)

Aug 22, 2017, 7:57 PM

never know when a Quarter back will get hurt.

How did Bryant look throwing the ball?*****

Aug 22, 2017, 3:59 PM

the fact that i keep reading the qb competition

Aug 22, 2017, 4:06 PM

may very well still be on during the season isnt a good thing..its means bryant really hasnt separated as a passer.

The only ones saying qb competition are web site writers

Aug 22, 2017, 4:15 PM

and message boards dweebs that can't handle the decision that Dabo has made. He's named his starter,his #1 QB ,deal with it.

It's not really a bad thing. None of the QB's have taken

Aug 22, 2017, 4:16 PM [ in reply to the fact that i keep reading the qb competition ]

A snap as a staring college QB, no one knows how they'll play in a game.

That certainly is one way to look at it

Aug 22, 2017, 4:19 PM [ in reply to the fact that i keep reading the qb competition ]

Another would be that multiple QB's are performing well and as such no tremendous separation has occurred.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the fact that i keep reading the qb competition

Aug 22, 2017, 4:44 PM [ in reply to the fact that i keep reading the qb competition ]

He doesn't need to separate as a passer because he's a better runner than the other two guys.

he threw like garbage in the spring game

Aug 22, 2017, 5:25 PM

vs defenses like fsu he will need more than just his feet

He also had a torn tendon in his throwing hand

Aug 22, 2017, 6:30 PM

but don't let facts get in your way.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

The broken horse called.

Aug 23, 2017, 11:12 AM [ in reply to he threw like garbage in the spring game ]

That dead record left town months ago.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??

Re: he threw like garbage in the spring game

Aug 23, 2017, 11:42 AM [ in reply to he threw like garbage in the spring game ]

Did you see Action Jackson throw the ball last year? Because I sure didn't. But the dude won a Heistman anyway. Go figure.

ALL position competitions are OPEN during the season.***

Aug 22, 2017, 7:00 PM [ in reply to the fact that i keep reading the qb competition ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2017, 7:05 PM [ in reply to the fact that i keep reading the qb competition ]

To me it means the coaches have to keep the door open due to the talent he has already in and coming in. Leaving the door open keeps guys like Hunter around and the same will happen next year with Lawrence. You have to make those guys stay in the race or they will transfer.

Aug 22, 2017, 8:41 PM

A nice assessment by The GM.
I think that has to factor in.ESPECIALLY when there's not much seperation..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is their separation in talent with knowledge of playbook?

Aug 22, 2017, 11:30 PM

I would say yes. Look at h.s. recruiting rankings. Having said that, lets see what happens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2017, 7:05 PM [ in reply to the fact that i keep reading the qb competition ]

To me it means the coaches have to keep the door open due to the talent he has already in and coming in. Leaving the door open keeps guys like Hunter around and the same will happen next year with Lawrence. You have to make those guys stay in the race or they will transfer.

Aug 22, 2017, 8:36 PM [ in reply to the fact that i keep reading the qb competition ]

I'm pretty sure you can bank on that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2017, 9:17 AM [ in reply to the fact that i keep reading the qb competition ]

I hope that we roll up the points regardless of which QB is on the field! I am not interested in separation, I want to see excellence whether we are running or passing.

^^^ This times a thousand***

Aug 22, 2017, 4:25 PM [ in reply to How did Bryant look throwing the ball?***** ]

Re: How did Bryant look throwing the ball?*****

Aug 22, 2017, 4:30 PM [ in reply to How did Bryant look throwing the ball?***** ]

I was about to ask the same thing. Nobody ever comments on this, not even the coaches that I've heard. You'd think they would emphasize that he was throwing it well if he was since accuracy is the biggest question mark for him.

Re: How did Bryant look throwing the ball?*****

Aug 22, 2017, 5:49 PM

Actually there's a whole article on this. Hunter Renfrow explains how KB has been by far the most consistent passer we have and has been putting balls on the money every time. Compares him to "like Deshaun" with his ability to scramble to find an open receiver first and then run and that he doesn't freak out to just run if can't instantly find someone like he used to.

What? Do you read the post practice interviews?***

Aug 22, 2017, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Re: How did Bryant look throwing the ball?***** ]

Re: What? Do you read the post practice interviews?***

Aug 22, 2017, 7:17 PM

I've read every post practice report. I've read that he's been the most "consistent", but haven't specifically heard what exactly he's doing better and nothing about his throwing ability. Link me to it if you don't mind.

Linsey Graham? I thought Coach Swinney only allowed

Aug 22, 2017, 4:12 PM

Men to attend practice.

Re: Linsey Graham? I thought Coach Swinney only allowed

Aug 22, 2017, 9:43 PM

What is wrong with you dude?

Your mother should have taught you better---if you just need to be a comedian, take it somewhere else.

If you don't have anything good to say about people or to add to the content then keep your mouth shut. I don't agree with everything that Our Senator does or says, but your comment is totally inappropriate.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Linsey Graham? I thought Coach Swinney only allowed

Aug 22, 2017, 10:27 PM

LapDog Lindsey is a pitiful excuse of a Republican. He may be your Sentor but he sure as heck isn't mine. He's turned his back on his base.

He needs to be in DC doing some work instead of hanging out at practice.

Re: He does too much damage when he is in

Aug 23, 2017, 11:59 AM

DC. Keep him away.

If I'm a WR on an opposing team...

Aug 22, 2017, 4:17 PM

My head is on a swivel at all times with Simmons and Muse back there. That's just scary to think about.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If I'm a WR on an opposing team...

Aug 22, 2017, 4:49 PM

I agree. Can't wait to see them turn receivers into peanut butter and jelly. :)

Aug 22, 2017, 8:49 PM [ in reply to If I'm a WR on an opposing team... ]

Lol, them receivers b rubber neckin!

Aug 23, 2017, 10:14 AM [ in reply to If I'm a WR on an opposing team... ]

I'm telling you. We thought we saw some booming hits from J. Kearse. Muse is about to bring the pain. I'm ready for his highlight reel after he's finished with Clemson.

Aug 23, 2017, 11:34 AM [ in reply to If I'm a WR on an opposing team... ]

I think Muse and Simmons are playing the same safety spot ... Simmons will play some nickel but I expect O'Daniel to play a lot of snaps this year, I have read his coverage skills are much improved.

Re: New Story: Tuesday practice observations: Simmons Muse

Aug 22, 2017, 4:25 PM

My only fear with Muse and Simmons is the lack of game experience.

We did a much better job in 2016 than in 2015 giving up big plays. Most times those big plays were a result of being overly aggressive, and getting out of position.

Still, I think we'll be fine, and can't wait to see them line up.

The depth that has been created in Dabo's system still blows me away. He truly has created a program that can sustain this level of play for years to come.

Aug 22, 2017, 4:34 PM

All the QBs can hand off or take off and run.
We have got to have a QB that can throw it.
If just knowing the playbook means you start , then we might be in trouble.

Aug 22, 2017, 4:46 PM

Except that's not what the coaches are saying. They have spoken about his passing ability and his improvement. Every one on here acting like he needs to become the best passing QB are missing what this offense is all about. He doesn't have to the best passer.... Just good enough. He is the best runner and THAT is huge. The coaches have stressed his decision making ability is far and away ahead of the others.

Sounds clear to me.

Aug 22, 2017, 6:03 PM

This Offense has to have multiple looks ,any spread O that becomes one dimensional will not score much.

Aug 22, 2017, 6:19 PM

Golf clap....

No kidding....

Aug 22, 2017, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tuesday practice observations: Simmons, Muse and QBs ]

Golf clap....

No kidding....

Aug 22, 2017, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tuesday practice observations: Simmons, Muse and QBs ]

Sorta like the bama QB?

Aug 22, 2017, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tuesday practice observations: Simmons, Muse and QBs ]

All qbs can run? Evidently, Hunter Johnson is not a great running qb. He's a passer. The question is, can a qb outrun people. KB can.

The AAAAAAA++++receivers will make KB a better passer**

Aug 22, 2017, 5:14 PM

just like they did Boyd - ( thinking we miss TE Jordan Leggett more than anyone ?? ) last year,when DW4 didn't run much,we seemed to stall* -- Kelly is a real threat to run & the receivers will get open for the passes -- will drive a defense crazy !! GO TIGERS !!!!

Aug 22, 2017, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tuesday practice observations: Simmons, Muse and QBs ]

Here is what I'm most concerned about with any QB we have. We are called WRU for a reason. That reason is bc we have been great at getting our receivers the ball, and bc of that, that is the main reason that we bring in the best WR talent in the country with their #1 reason is that we get receivers drafted in the 1st round. Now, if we have a QB that his best traits are running the ball, what is that going to do for recruiting WRs if we don't have a QB getting them the ball enough to get them drafted in the 1st round? Will we continue to bring in top WR talent with a QB that can run his asss off. We are already being dirty recruited against, so what will coaches tell WR recruits about Clemson QB?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL next year and who knows down the road. It's all good.***

Aug 22, 2017, 5:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#1 QBs consecutive years kills that idea about recruiting WR***

Aug 22, 2017, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tuesday practice observations: Simmons, Muse and QBs ]

a QB that doesn't know the playbook is going to be worse

Aug 22, 2017, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tuesday practice observations: Simmons, Muse and QBs ]

than the QB that does. as far as we know, KB doesn't have the arm talent of Coop or Johnson, but his arm is enough of a weapon, as far as we know, to give Dabo confidence to name him the starter for game 1... and really, that's all we need to know until he goes out in a game and doesn't move the team. we have coaches that built a champion for us to enjoy, trust their process...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: a QB that doesn't know the playbook is going to be worse

Aug 23, 2017, 10:26 AM

Seriously the best comment I've seen made on this situation. Lets let the games play out and we'll see what happens. If KB goes out and kills it no harm no foul. Everyone is happy because we are still winning games.

I absolutely do NOT trust Aaron Taylor attending

Aug 22, 2017, 5:58 PM

our practices... he was such a ###### giving his analysis that day he decided to showcase his dictionary dot com word of the day... I don't trust that he would maintain journalistic integrity and not attempt to share a detailed scouting report to the domers if we were playing them this year but just might get friendly with Gus or Jimbo to spite Dabo and the team...

I know it's my personal take but he strikes me of the kind of guy that hangs with you but always flirts with your girl...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole Stoudt won the starting job over Deshawn Watson & Kelly

Aug 22, 2017, 6:36 PM

Because he had seniority

Cole Stoudt wasn't named the starter until after Chad Kelly

Aug 22, 2017, 9:04 PM

had been kicked off the team and Deshaun had a broken collar bone.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Aug 22, 2017, 6:36 PM

Our OL practicing against our DL is invaluable for both , really .
OL will only face a couple of teams this year during the reg season that even come close to the talent we have overall on our DL ( FSU, NCST, maybe Auburn ).

As Dabo is always repeating ...Iron sharpens Iron

DB23

That's working both ways, now.... OL is a top 10, too.***

Aug 22, 2017, 7:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saying NCST's DL comes close to ours???

Aug 22, 2017, 8:05 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Tuesday practice observations: Simmons, Muse and QBs ]

Did you read that in the Raleigh News & Observer?

Re: Saying NCST's DL comes close to ours???

Aug 22, 2017, 8:28 PM

IMO - yes NCSU's defensive line comes close to ours. It's not equal but close.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

There must be some reason NCSU should have won in D.V.

Aug 22, 2017, 11:45 PM [ in reply to Saying NCST's DL comes close to ours??? ]

Was it D-Line?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There must be some reason NCSU should have won in D.V.

Aug 23, 2017, 3:31 PM

No, it was Clemson coughing the ball up repeatedly in the red zone. Take away a couple of those mistakes and we are not even talking about that game.

Great Highlights Reel for I. Simmons!

Aug 22, 2017, 8:24 PM

This young man makes it look so easy. He is an athletic freak with his height and speed. He looks so graceful and smooth when he runs, and when he gets a step, he doesn't get caught. WRU is alive and well. Simmons will contribute much, IMO.

Message was edited by: Dugatiger®

I. Simmons is a DB not a WR...

Aug 23, 2017, 8:01 AM

yes, WRU is alive and well but Simmons won't be catching passes from our QB, only from the other team's QB...

Re: I. Simmons is a DB not a WR...

Aug 23, 2017, 3:33 PM

But I bet you Christian Wilkins could catch a few passes. :)

Wilkens would catch a few...

Aug 24, 2017, 3:24 PM

but i bet you I. Simmons will catch 3 passes this year... they will be called interceptions rather than receptions, but he's going to catch them... ??

Aug 22, 2017, 8:30 PM

I am so excited about our prospects! We have much for which to be thankful, not the least of which is to wake up each morning a Tiger, rather than a coot. Think they are a bit jealous?

Aug 22, 2017, 8:34 PM

That was high praise for Chase Brice.
He's sort of the proverbial " stuck between a rock and a hard place" man.
SO MUCH positive press on him.

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic