Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
THE TEXTILE BOWL AND WHAT IT MEANS TO ME
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

THE TEXTILE BOWL AND WHAT IT MEANS TO ME

Oct 16, 2018, 9:18 AM

Back from 1944-1950 my Grandfather Wylie Hamrick attended Clemson University. It was a Military College then, and he graduated as a Major. He didn't serve in WWII as he was the only son and was exempted from combat service through the Sullivan Act. However, he did play football for Coach Frank Howard and his footprints can be found at Tillman Hall. My Great-Grandfather's name can also be found on the footprints as he was a graduate of the Class of 1919 at Clemson. Lyman Abbot Hamrick would later drown at Lake Summit in a boating accident in June of 1950 shortly after my Grandfather graduated Clemson. It had to be rough because he then had big shoes to fill.

My Grandfather played football with a man they called Billy "Tweet" Poe. Tweet was a Wing Back and later went on to serve in the Army. The Indoor Practice Facility is named after Betty and Billy Poe for their contribution to the school's athletic department. Both Billy and my Grandfather came from a Textile Family if I'm not mistaken. One was from the POE Mill Family, and My Grandfather was a 3rd Generation Owner/Operator of Hamrick Mills and Musgrove Mills. Both companies made woven goods. Hamrick Mills and Musgrove Mills are still in operation 6 days a week after surviving 118 years of economic ups and downs. So as you can see, the Textile Bowl against a Textile Rival such as NCST is very important to us.

At the age of 84 my Grandfather had moved into Summit Hills over in Spartanburg and was complaining about being lonely after the death of my Grandmother some years before that. I had just received my honorable discharge after serving three enlistments in the United States Marine Corps and I wanted to visit him. So, I stopped by to watch The Textile Bowl. It's a day I will never forget either. It was November 19th, 2011. The NCST Wolfpack walked the dog on us during that game in Carter Finley Stadium. It would be the last Clemson game I would watch with my Grandfather. I later deployed to Kosovo as a Defense Contractor. In August of 2012 at the age of 85, he passed away suddenly heading to a meeting at the Hamrick Mills office located in Gaffney, South Carolina.

They whipped us good that game, and every time I see our Clemson Tigers win against them I feel a sense of revenge for what they did to us that day while watching a horrible loss. So it's almost like payback when we stomp NCST. So I hope and pray for a BEAT DOWN IN TIGERTOWN THIS COMING SATURDAY! GO TIGERS!

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Great story !!!!***

Oct 16, 2018, 9:30 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Billy "Tweet" Poe

Oct 16, 2018, 9:33 AM

I had no idea Twitter was around in the 40s. I thought it was a new thing when Dabo said "Tweet that!".

Great Story!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Billy "Tweet" Poe

Oct 16, 2018, 9:43 AM

I dont think Coach Howard allowed social media posts though. There is no record of any during his tenure anyway. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: THE TEXTILE BOWL AND WHAT IT MEANS TO ME

Oct 16, 2018, 9:35 AM

BEWM!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Oct 16, 2018, 9:41 AM

Good story. My Grandfather was over Poe Mill back in the late 50's/early 60's. I remember going to their house that was across the street from the mill at the time, but it was torn down a long time ago.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That tale is

Oct 16, 2018, 9:44 AM

Definitely not 'spinning a yarn'! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That tale is

Oct 16, 2018, 10:23 AM

Salty55 said:

Definitely not 'spinning a yarn'! ;)

Well it wasn't woven from a rumor mill for sure.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller

Oct 16, 2018, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: THE TEXTILE BOWL AND WHAT IT MEANS TO ME ]

Good story. My Grandfather was over Poe Mill back in the late 50's/early 60's. I remember going to their house that was across the street from the mill at the time, but it was torn down a long time ago.

Another true story. When I made my exit from the Marine Corps before my days as a defense contractor, I went through a nasty divorce and fell on hard times. I actually live in the Old Poe Mill Store that sits across what is now a skateboarding park. The woman who owned it rented a studio space out to me. I still talk to her today. She saved my bacon by renting me a space or else I'd have been a homeless veteran. I'm of course doing much better today with a brand new house built last year. Life didn't turn out too bad after all. Heck, I had 99 problems, but she divorced me. :D

~Chesty Puller

Who would'a think it..

Oct 16, 2018, 9:51 AM

ol chesty0311 is a Linthead...??

Oorah!

Great story, btw. Thx for sharing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Re: Who would'a think it..

Oct 16, 2018, 10:22 AM

ol chesty0311 is a Linthead...??

Oorah!

Great story, btw. Thx for sharing.

The correct expression is an Ol' Cotton Top. My Grandfather always said, "if you want to earn a very small fortune, then start a textile mill."

~Chesty Puller

Funny Story About My Grandfather

Oct 16, 2018, 10:21 AM

When he played football for The Legendary Coach Frank Howard, he played both offensive and defensive lineman. They were way smaller back in those days. He was a mere 185lbs as a freshman. Well, they didn't have face masks back in those days. So he would throw a huge chew of tobacco in before he would take the field. Whenever the ball was snapped he'd spit tobacco juice in the opposing lineman's eyes and whop him in the jaw.

He was a tough man, and grew to be about 6"6" 300lbs. He didn't mess around for sure. He even tanned my hide once and that was all it took. I was about 8 years old and I was horse playing, threw a ball in the house, and it hit my grandmother. He tore my backside up pretty darn bad with a leather razor strap. I never acted out over at his house again. It felt like that whipping lasted half an hour. It took me dang near an hour to catch my breath and two additional hours to stop crying after the fact. He may have chewed tobacco, but that man didn't chew his cabbage twice.

He sure loved his family though, and would have done anything for us. If you'd have known him, you wouldn't have known that he was a wealthy man either. He was the type of man who would cook dinner for you and then wash the dishes. Very humble and very Godly to say the least. Not a Clemson Saturday goes by where I don't miss him.

GO TIGERS!

~Chesty Puller

Oct 16, 2018, 10:33 AM

Loved hearing your story. My father-in-law graduated in 1929 with a degree in textile engineering. That was the year of the stock market crash and beginning of the Great Depression. He was fortunate to get a job in Greenville (Textile Center of the World) at Union Bleachery making $13 per week. He set up the new color lab there. He moved into the Judson Mill (later Milliken) Boarding House where he met his future wife. My daughter is a 4th generation Clemson grad married to a grad.

Message was edited by: CarolinaKudzu

Oct 16, 2018, 11:03 AM

Loved hearing your story. My father-in-law graduated in 1929 with a degree in textile engineering. That was the year of the stock market crash and beginning of the Great Depression. He was fortunate to get a job in Greenville (Textile Center of the World) at Union Bleachery making $13 per week. He set up the new color lab there. He moved into the Judson Mill (later Milliken) Boarding House where he met his future wife. My daughter is a 4th generation Clemson grad married to a grad.

Message was edited by: CarolinaKudzu

My only regret in life is that I didn't attend Clemson and join the team as a walk-on. I'm still in great shape, but I'm 35 years old and that would just be creepy. I mean, I'm 215lbs 5'10 and I have a very low body fat percentage. I run and lift heavy weights. My current run time is a 18:43 3 mile run, and my bench press is 225x30 times. I can do pull ups all day, push ups all day, and I can sprint like it's nobody's business. The body hurts a little now after all of that. I'm just too old and my opportunity has passed me by. At this point, I don't think I'd even attend Clemson or a major university. I'd be the creepy old guy now. I mean let's face it, those ladies that attend Clemson are drop dead gorgeous and I'd be the distracted dirty old man and would probably fail my courses. LOL

~Chesty Puller

I'm confused

Oct 16, 2018, 11:09 AM

My father was an only child, yet went to the Phillipines to liberate Anguar and Peleliu. He never told me that he could have gotten a deferment as an only son. In fact, after securing Anguar, he and his tanks were part of the relief force that moved to Peleliu to save Chesty Puller and what was left of the marines he was getting shot up (as usual).

I looked up the "Sullivan Act" to find the familiar story about the Sullivan brothers who were all killed in the Navy after Pearl Harbor during WW2. The "Sullivan Rule" was introduced in Congress in 1950 - long after WW2, but was never passed.

https://wcfcourier.com/sullivanbrothers/sullivan-rule-an-informal-policy-that-never-became-law/article_3cd89782-36f0-5bda-a2d8-b616bc61a494.html

Re: I'm confused

Oct 16, 2018, 11:35 AM

Well, he graduated in 1950, and I'm certain he didn't continue his service in the Korean War era. He wasn't ever drafted or called up to fight. He did graduate as a Major though.

~Chesty Puller

Wylie was a good man and treated my grandparents

Oct 16, 2018, 11:31 AM

well while they worked for him for many years.

Hope you are good Travis!

Re: Wylie was a good man and treated my grandparents

Oct 16, 2018, 11:33 AM

I'm guessing that this is either TODD or Travis Bennett? I'm well, and I miss our childhood days at First Baptist Church. Those were the days man. I'd give anything for a redo on somethings.

~Chesty Puller

yep

Oct 16, 2018, 11:42 AM

Todd

Yea I'd take some redo's as well lol

but FBC was good to me and set a good foundation for me.

Re: yep

Oct 16, 2018, 3:27 PM

I'd agree with that.

~Chesty Puller

CUTIGERBOB's Dad Worked At Hamrick Mills For a Lifetime

Oct 16, 2018, 5:27 PM

CUTigerBob's dad was an amazing human being who had a heart the size of Death Valley. There have been many men who have had hearts of gold to work at Hamrick Mills and Musgrove Mills. I'm honored to have met many of them, and proud to be part of a family legacy that treats employees with love, honesty, fairness, and family-like quality. At Hamrick Mills we are all just one big family. GO TIGERS!

~Chesty Puller

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic