Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After 50+ years, "instant" replay sucks worse than ever
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

After 50+ years, "instant" replay sucks worse than ever

Nov 12, 2018, 5:13 PM

In what might be the greatest fraud ever perpetrated on the American sporting public, "instant" replay was sold as an aid to officiating which would only be employed to correct obvious egregious errors by officials.

If that criterion were still employed today, I would be instant replay's biggest supporter.

In a classic example of mission creep, however, it has mutated into a forensic exercise repeatedly called upon to "settle" the most trivial issues. This tragicomedy seems now to be nothing more than an excuse to have talking heads view along with us and say, "Oooooo..." at the time the producer hits "stop" on the replay.

Meanwhile, momentum is killed, players cool off and the fans have to sit in limbo. And, to top it all off, half the time there is no reversal of the original call!

High school football has no official replay and to my mind, is a purer, more enjoyable form of football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After 50+ years, "instant" replay sucks worse than ever

Nov 12, 2018, 5:16 PM

I agree. Replay is actually laughable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Instant Replay needs

Nov 12, 2018, 5:37 PM

instant analysis. 20 seconds is enough with all the cameras they have. Sheeeesh....

Still better than no instant replay... that sucked***

Nov 12, 2018, 5:41 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The biggest problem is...

Nov 12, 2018, 5:52 PM

even with instant replay, the officials still manage to get it wrong and that happens far too frequently.

The very obvious fumble in the Alabama/Mississippi State game is a perfect example.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I hate replay in its current form

Nov 12, 2018, 6:08 PM

If the purpose is to get things right, then things like, I do not know, RUNNING INTO THE PUNT RETURNER, should be reviewable. Also, why go with conclusive evidence? So, if you are 90% sure that HD, slow motion replay from various angles contradicts the original call, you are going to go with the original, real time call that probably had a worse angle because it is not 100%? Make zero sense. Go with what is MOST PROBABLE, this is not a court of law. Like most things, "smart" people fail to get it right and do what makes the most sense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hate replay in its current form

Nov 12, 2018, 6:22 PM

It is time to update the role of instant replay. There are too many times every one except the officials on the field know the correct call.

That's because they are all on the payroll...

Nov 12, 2018, 6:56 PM

and they have bosses who are also on the payroll.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic