Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Steelers got jobbed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Steelers got jobbed

Dec 17, 2017, 7:21 PM

that crossed the line...TD

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Steelers got jobbed

Dec 17, 2017, 7:22 PM

Didn’t have possession. Ball moved. That’s the rule

Dec 17, 2017, 7:23 PM

Didn't have possession? He was able to turn around and dive for the line - crossing it for a TD - poor reversal.

Dec 17, 2017, 7:24 PM

That’s the rule in the NFL. Have to maintain full possession through the catch

Dec 17, 2017, 7:26 PM

He did. His right hand was under the ball. The ground cant help him maintain the possession. Sorry but this league is a dumpster fire.

His left hand came off the ball, and

Dec 17, 2017, 8:23 PM

the ground helped him maintain possession.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And that definition is changed from game to game...

Dec 17, 2017, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Steelers got jobbed ]

Too many non football people making decisions on rules of the game

He had possession long enough. If you agree with that rule

Dec 17, 2017, 7:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Steelers got jobbed ]

You’re just as effed up as the nfl

Dec 17, 2017, 7:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Steelers got jobbed ]

Nope. It was a catch, it was a poor interpretation of the rule. He clearly made a football move which finalizes the catching process, if anything it would have been a fumble which the ground cannot cause (and he had already crossed the line for a TD). Agree to disagree here - I saw the catching process complete when he turns and dives for the endzone, it was a junk call, and I could care less about any NFL team.

That is exactly how I interpreted the rule

Dec 17, 2017, 7:34 PM

dumb call

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Completely agree

Dec 17, 2017, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Steelers got jobbed ]

Pats always benefit from crap calls, e.g. the TUCK rule crap.***

Dec 18, 2017, 7:58 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pats always benefit from crap calls, e.g. the TUCK rule crap.***

Dec 18, 2017, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Completely agree ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2017, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Steelers got jobbed ]

That’s the rule in the NFL. Have to maintain full possession through the catch

That’s what I don’t understand. Ref said ball didn’t

Dec 17, 2017, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Steelers got jobbed ]

Survive the ground. He possessed the ball before that and made a football move to get it over the goal. Had the ball popped out and not been over the goal line, would it have been a catch or incomplete pass? Stupid rule. You know a catch when you see it, ball was caught

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That’s what I don’t understand. Ref said ball didn’t

Dec 17, 2017, 9:22 PM

He was falling when he started catching it and didn't control the ball all the way down. Good call.

That rule is BS. That’s the point.***

Dec 17, 2017, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Steelers got jobbed ]

I agree. It was the correct call by the refs, based on the

Dec 17, 2017, 7:28 PM

rule; they did not "cheat" for the Patriots (I was pulling for the Steelers). Still, it's a bad, ridiculous rule, and that by everything that's right and holy, should be a TD. He had full control for long enough for it to be a catch, in my mind.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I thought the rule was you possessed ball and made a

Dec 17, 2017, 7:31 PM

football move. Isn’t that exactly what he did? Think that was bull crap

You may be correct, but I've seen it called this way on

Dec 17, 2017, 7:40 PM

numerous occasions. What constitutes a football move is apparently open to extremely broad and liberal interpretation, and therein lies the problem. In a world based on common sense and commonly understood usage of the English language, that was a catch and a TD.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yeah they couldn’t even agree on the earlier play

Dec 17, 2017, 9:42 PM

Did he have possession when

Dec 17, 2017, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Steelers got jobbed ]

his knee hit?

Does one knee equal 2 feet?

Did the ball break the plane after possession?

If you run a completed pass into the end zone and spike the ball is that an incomplete pass?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yes, the ball moved when he hit the ground. But the ball

Dec 18, 2017, 12:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Steelers got jobbed ]

was clearly in his possession when it crossed the goal line. That doesn't count in the pros?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

most times that's a ball caught in field of play and dat

Dec 17, 2017, 7:29 PM

plane was broke=td

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the way I think it should be. He had control, made a

Dec 17, 2017, 7:35 PM

"football move", and as soon as he crossed the plane, play over! The play should have already been deaded when the ball hit the ground. Its a dumb rule.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: That's the way I think it should be. He had control, made a

Dec 17, 2017, 7:37 PM

Once the ball crosses the line (in possession) it is dead. The problem is apparently the refs never believed he had possession watching it in slow mow replay. They are incorrect and ignorant.

I don't disagree, but the way I understand the rule,

Dec 17, 2017, 7:48 PM

possession must be maintained throughout the catch (whatever that means); if not, he never had possession in the first place. I think that's a stupid rule, and I don't agree with their interpretation of it, but that's why I think they ruled it incomplete. Once they judge that he did not maintain control throughout the catch, which they did, then it is correct to rule it incomplete.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: I don't disagree, but the way I understand the rule,

Dec 17, 2017, 8:37 PM

Yes, the issue is what constitutes a catch? Apparently it is still too subjective. To me the catch was completed when he turned with ball secure (a football move). When he crossed the line it became a TD and the play is dead. I agree if he hadn't secured the ball prior to crossing the line it would be incomplete..my contention is that he did everything he needed to do by rule for any sane official...which they initially did.

It doesn't look good for the NFL. They would have come out better if common sense had prevailed. I guess it was irritating because I finally was watching an enjoyable game and then they mess it up like that by thinking about it too hard.

Re: That's the way I think it should be. He had control, made a

Dec 17, 2017, 7:50 PM [ in reply to That's the way I think it should be. He had control, made a ]

I'm a Pats fan and I agree. I absolutely believe the rule needs to be changed, but as the rule is written, it was the correct call.

Dec 17, 2017, 7:32 PM

This is why I have only watched about 10 minutes of the NFL outside of when Watson was playing. Rome is about to fall.

The problem is...

Dec 17, 2017, 7:47 PM

There have been three similar plays this year in Patriot's games, end zone mini-bobbles involving the Jets' tight end, Pittsburg's tight end tonight, and the Patriot Cooks's catch in the end zone that beat the Texans, and every single booth call has gone the Patriot's way. If that bobble overturns TDs for the Steelers and Jets to win New England games, why didn't it overturn Cooks' catch that won them a game? This favoritism in that ref booth is getting on my nerves. (repost)

Dec 17, 2017, 7:48 PM

https://twitter.com/MikePereira

Message was edited by: Tigs577

Dec 17, 2017, 8:19 PM

I disagree with him, he completed the catch. Its not like he caught the ball while diving into the endzone. He caught the ball turned and "lunged" forward.

If it were Hunter Renfrow making that same catch a few weeks from now this board would be absolutely bonkers. It wouldn't just break fax machines, or mail towels...it would be something we have never seen before.

Dez concurs***

Dec 17, 2017, 7:50 PM

The rule should be simple: If the receiver catches the ball

Dec 17, 2017, 7:58 PM

in bounds and takes one step or maintains control for at least 2 seconds, it's a catch. That's the way I remember it being when I was a kid and it worked just fine. A lot less room for human error and interpretation when trying to interpret vague terminology and overly-complex rules.

- H. L. Mencken

Dec 17, 2017, 8:32 PM

Wrong thing to get mad about. Ought to be mad about the fake spike call.

But it wasn’t a catch considering he dropped it when he hit the ground (hand coming off ball)

Dec 17, 2017, 8:32 PM

Nt

Message was edited by: 12BravoCU09

Dec 17, 2017, 8:41 PM

Here's why it's a BS call....

If he caught it at the 5 yard line and ran untouched to the goal line and dived, cross the plane and the ball comes loose...TD, it's called a TD 1000 times out of 1000. Guys do somersaults all the time over the line on a pass play and the ball comes loose. TD

Pittsburgh guy did the same thing, only from the 1. He stretches which, in my mind, is no difference than the example above in terms of a football move, crosses the line and the ball moves. Not a TD???

Idiotic

Dec 17, 2017, 9:24 PM

He didn't catch it turn and dive. He caught it while diving.

Dec 17, 2017, 9:31 PM

Could have fooled me. He didn't catch it WHILE diving lol

Dec 17, 2017, 9:36 PM

He reached out for the ball and was falling as he made the catch and when he hit the ground the ball came out. How is that a catch?

Bad Rule / Good Reversal***

Dec 17, 2017, 9:38 PM

Re: Bad Rule / Good Reversal***

Dec 17, 2017, 9:41 PM

I don't think it is a bad rule. He was falling as he caught the ball. He didn't catch the ball turn and take 2 steps them dive and the ball come out. He was basically turning and diving as he was making the catch.

Dec 17, 2017, 9:45 PM

When you say that he caught the ball, in your explanation of why he didn't catch the ball. It's a bad rule.

Dec 17, 2017, 9:48 PM

He caught it falling to the ground and the ground knocked it out. The ground can cause it to be incomplete. You have to control the ball to the ground. I don't think that is a bad rule. To each is own though. I wish it would have been a TD but it was the right call and I like the rule. I can see why you do not like it and atleast you agree it was the right call just that you don't like the rule.

Dec 17, 2017, 10:12 PM

When a player has shown control of the ball. The ground shouldn't be allowed to cause an incompletion. If he was hit by another player and the ball came loose... incompletion.

Dec 17, 2017, 11:17 PM

If the ball pops out when the player hits the ground then he didn't have full control of the ball.

Dec 17, 2017, 11:33 PM

Per the rule... not sound logic otherwise

That video should be the Poster Child on why this rule

Dec 18, 2017, 7:41 AM

needs to be changed, pronto. In this case, as well as Dez Bryant earlier, receiver clearly had control of the ball, and was stretching for extra yardage when the collision with the ground came. How much more possession can you have than both hands completely covering the football like a vise? Sad, sad rule that takes away from the legitimacy of pro football. (If pro football had much legitimacy left to begin with.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

zzzzzzzzz....***

Dec 18, 2017, 8:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic