Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spurrier on why he left the coots......OUCH!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Spurrier on why he left the coots......OUCH!

Dec 21, 2018, 8:46 AM

Steve Spurrier is coaching football again.

Spurrier’s Alliance of American Football team, the Orlando Apollos, hosted an event in Gainesville, Fla. Thursday. While the event was aimed at getting Gators fans interested in the Apollos, Spurrier made an interesting comment about stepping down from South Carolina during the 2015 season.

“I didn’t leave South Carolina because I disliked coaching. I left because we had a mess of a team, and I was the head coach and I created it and made a bunch of mistakes,” Spurrier said, per Graham Hall of The Gainesville Sun. “Players didn’t like each other, coaches didn’t like each other, and it was time for me to get out of there.

“No one wants to leave under those circumstances, but that’s the way it happened.”

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spurrier on why he left the coots......OUCH!

Dec 21, 2018, 8:46 AM

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/south-carolina-football/steve-spurrier-blames-himself-for-south-carolina-being-a-mess-when-he-stepped-down/

Dec 21, 2018, 9:02 AM

He kept saying how he was going to hang it in a couple of years every season, hard to get recruits to come if they think you'll be gone.

I’ll give the man credit. A lot of “I’s” in that statement.

Dec 21, 2018, 9:07 AM

Maybe late, but still taking the responsibility for the debacle.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’ll give the man credit. A lot of “I’s” in that statement.

Dec 21, 2018, 9:59 AM

I didnt iniw ge had it in him. I'm really pretty impressed.

Re: I’ll give the man credit. A lot of “I’s” in that statement.

Dec 21, 2018, 1:04 PM [ in reply to I’ll give the man credit. A lot of “I’s” in that statement. ]

In all fairness, that place was a debacle long before the ole drunk arrived.

Dec 21, 2018, 9:07 AM

I thought Spurrier wanted to retire long before 2015 but kept sticking around at the behest of the coot admin. As a result, he figured the best way to allow the admin to let him leave was to tank it. He saved the next incoming coach the trouble of tearing down his sandcastle so that rather than having a new coach come in and be blamed for the fallout, he took the knock because in the coaching fraternity, the next guy would get a bonus if he hit the 7-5 mark in his third year.

Dec 21, 2018, 10:39 AM

He left because he knew Dabo was going to hang it in his A ss

Dec 21, 2018, 11:30 AM

I think he didn’t want to be another USC coach without a winning record against us. He was lucky a couple of our games to get a win...we lost the game with fumbles, interceptions, etc....choked!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2018, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Spurrier on why he left the coots......OUCH! ]

Dabo, and therefore Clemson, will forever be indebted to that old son of a gun though.

Geri Spurrier befriended Kathleen Swinney and mentored her in finding joy in the bright lights as the wife of a successful head coach, when Kathleen was a very private, shy person. If Kathleen had not been willing to become a more public person in support of her husband, Dabo could never have been happy no matter what else Clemson did for him.

What an A whole

Dec 21, 2018, 9:20 AM

He made the mess, quit mid-season because he didn't want to get embarrassed by Clemson AND hung around for another year in COLA collecting over $125k a year from USuC. He had no problem doing that.

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Dec 21, 2018, 9:22 AM

I don't get why Tanner doesn't get more heat for this. It's pretty much been confirmed that Spurrier told him he was going to retire the year before and Tanner begged him to stay.

dumpster fire gonna dumpster fire, doesn't matter who's HC***

Dec 21, 2018, 9:25 AM

Dec 21, 2018, 10:04 AM

This is why South Carolina will never win football championships. They hire coaches who don't care about the university or the players and only care about their own selves. They were even so desperate to hire a winner, they gave Spurrier a more than generous golden parachute where he continued to take advantage of them and gouge them out of a lot of $$$$$$ while he was no longer their HC. I'd be p- if I were a USuC fan.

Dec 21, 2018, 10:11 AM

You could take Saban and the whole Bama team to cooterville and dress them in those chicken suits and

in 3 weeks they would lose to North Texas and all be up at 5 points getting drunk and arguing

on why they are losers .

My respect for Spurrier just increased. Good on him for owning it.***

Dec 21, 2018, 10:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

And the coots I unfortunately know still love him.

Dec 21, 2018, 10:20 AM

"well he beat y'all five times in a row!"

That and a Heisman trophy are all they have.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I think we all knew this

Dec 21, 2018, 10:22 AM

I wonder if he gave up because he realized it was impossible

Dec 21, 2018, 10:32 AM

He gave it 100% and the pinnacle was a sub-BCS bowl against Michigan with the benefit of a once in a lifetime DE in Clowney. I can see the guy thinking this is impossible, I give up.

And I do think it is impossible. Take away the names on the stadium and buildings and assume you're an athlete set on playing in the SEC, winning championships and enjoying 3-4 years of college. Can you see anyone other than a born and raised coot choosing SCAR over UGA or FL? Their only solution may be a very good bagman.

He completely quit ...

Dec 21, 2018, 11:24 AM

on the University, the coaches, the players, the recruits, and the fans and yet they still named the new indoor practice facility after him. You can't make this stuff up.

u5c fans clearly aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. In fact, if you took their collective brain cells, they could be counted on one hand. However, there is no denying, they sure are good for a laugh.

When they were handing our rivals, Clemson absolutely hit the jackpot. The comic value alone is priceless.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

In other words, Spurrier said.......

Dec 21, 2018, 11:32 AM

"I quit on my team, on the fans who supported me and the game that made me rich and famous. Yall should be OK with that because I'm still funny."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that reflects more poorly on him than even SCAR.

Dec 21, 2018, 11:32 AM

And I was REALLY hoping to score some good insult material on them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2018, 11:48 AM

Didn't he quit about 3 months after this....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elEjpgqa2EQ

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought he left to get away from the stench...

Dec 21, 2018, 11:55 AM

... I guess when it gets on you, it’s hard to get it off.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2018, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Spurrier on why he left the coots......OUCH! ]

"Would you stop clicking that?"

John Thompson

Dec 21, 2018, 2:28 PM

"It's great to work for Steve Spurrier from January to August".

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic