Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sports have games & games were meant to be fun...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Sports have games & games were meant to be fun...

Jun 26, 2019, 6:47 AM

Happy Wednesday all, and some casual reading to begin your day anew, unencumbered by your old nonsense[$1 to Emerson] as it seems that maybe, just maybe, some of you, you know whom you be, might care a bit... too... much?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/all-the-rage/201612/the-inciting-word-sports

The Inciting Word of Sports
Ryan Martin Ph.D. - All the Rage

... Well, because it’s a pretty well documented fact that people get angry over sports. People often find themselves getting too riled up when things don’t go their way,... football has been known to lead to fights between fans of rival teams and accidental property damage (e.g., a broken TV) when things don’t go your way.

Such football and other sports rooted rage often leaves others wondering why. After all, it’s only a game, right? Well, as it turns out, there are several basic psychological phenomena that make anger a likely reaction for some when they watch sports.

Basking in Reflected Glory: One concept, originally described by Robert Cialdini and relevant to sports viewership, is the tendency of people to bask in the reflected glory (BIRG) of successful others. You often hear this in the language they use to discuss their favorite team. Fans respond to victory by saying “we” won, “we” played great, and who do “we” play next. Even though they themselves have done nothing concrete to have earned the victory, they still see themselves as part of the team and, therefore, partially responsible for the victory. Sports enthusiasts are not the only people who BIRG. We see it amongst political supporters, in the workplace, amongst teenagers trying to identify with popular kids, and other groups.

Tension: Once you acknowledge that fans care about the outcome because they identify with the team (i.e., they BIRG), it’s easy to understand the tension that accompanies viewing a sporting event. This becomes even more true as the stakes get higher. The more important the game, the greater the tension and, people experience greater anger in response to negative events if they are already feeling tense or on edge.

Elevated Status and Meaning: It is not uncommon to hear fans describe sporting events as hugely important or even monumental occasions, elevating the status and meaning of the events well beyond their actual implications. Attaching so much importance to an event will certainly lead to frustration and anger when there is an undesired outcome. In other words, if someone thinks that watching their team win will be the best thing that ever happened to them, watching them lose will probably feel like the worst thing that has ever happened to them.

Perceptions of Unfairness: Anytime a sporting event is decided by just a few points, it’s easy to find controversy or some reason why the outcome was not fair or deserved. Ambiguous calls by officials, poor play by a player, or poor coaching all fall into the category of reasons why a team “should” have won and otherwise “would” have won. It all feeds into the feeling that the desired outcome was taken from the fan and gives the fan a specific target to be angry with (e.g., coach, referees).

Secondary Gain: Finally, for some, the outcome of the game has actual consequences. Typically, these consequences are manufactured by the person ahead of time through gambling, fantasy football, or even just through banter with a friend who supports the opposition (i.e., “smack talk”). For such people, the outcome has very real financial or social implications and it is easy to have an emotional reaction to the idea of lost money or damaged pride.

THE GOOD NEWS is that no one is doomed to feel angry every time his or her team loses. There are some fairly simple steps that can be taken to help decrease unwanted feelings of anger.

Keep it in Perspective: It is important, not just during the game but in the time leading up to it, to remember the real implications of things not going the way you want them to. It may be easier said than done but try to keep in mind what it will really mean if your team loses or wins.

Awareness and Relaxation: Being aware of feelings of tension and anger in the moment and introducing relaxation approaches can be a valuable way to decrease unwanted anger. Useful relaxation approaches can include deep breathing, counting, progressive muscle relaxing and others.

Limit the Banter: Friendly banter can become unfriendly in a hurry so it’s a good idea to remember not to dish out any more than you can take. Adding damaged pride to a loss only makes it worse and there’s a good chance that the targets of your excessive smack talk will come back at you when you are down.

Avoidance: Ultimately, it might make sense for people to consider whether or not they want to invite something into their life that makes them so angry. Watching sports is a choice, even for people who are really passionate about them, and you can choose not to watch if it isn’t healthy for you or the people around you.
_____

So, what say you push those in the wide, wide world of sport that inflame you so, you know whom they be, away for a few days, set them & those aside, breathe deep, gather your strength, then come back the new & far more resilient you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When it comes to Paul Finebaum, I use avoidance.***

Jun 26, 2019, 6:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sports have games & games were meant to be fun...

Jun 26, 2019, 6:55 AM

Yeah, but if I never got angry at Tommy Bowden through the TV, we never would be where we are right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Staying away is easy to do in June...

Jun 26, 2019, 7:05 AM

But I challenge cutigerbob® to stay away August - January.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

bob's built a nice, comfortable vicarious life for hisself..

Jun 26, 2019, 7:29 AM

he's a BIRGer, probably lives a shire or two over from Bilbo and all those other little peoples.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Staying away is easy to do in June...

Jun 26, 2019, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Staying away is easy to do in June... ]

He’ll eventually get the hint and leave if you keep deleting his articles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

TL/dr

Jun 26, 2019, 7:35 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

In review, if you & your over indulging friends believe...

Jun 26, 2019, 8:29 AM

hanging's too good for the game officials, then you should likely step away.

I @cutigerbob® 'd it for you and the others whose lips move when you read.

attach more pictures next time, Cof94 can't reed that whale.***

Jun 26, 2019, 8:47 AM [ in reply to TL/dr ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: attach more pictures next time, Cof94 can't reed that whale.***

Jun 26, 2019, 10:02 AM

That’s nice - Myfav .... looking out for Cof94 that way !! -:D

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jun 26, 2019, 8:40 AM

"Even though they themselves have done nothing concrete to have earned the victory, they still see themselves as part of the team and, therefore, partially responsible for the victory."

Well this is definitely not true, its proven that every single thing that every fan does, at home or at the stadium, has a direct impact on the game. That's why I wear the same shirt for every game if we haven't lost, you can thank me directly for the championship this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Troof, I don't know what I'll do this time to get banned...

Jun 26, 2019, 8:44 AM

but it's tried & true I was not on TigerNet during any of Clemson's three Mens Varsity Football National Championships.

Jun 26, 2019, 8:46 AM

That green man looks angry!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2019, 10:04 AM

Yes - BIRG’er of the highest order !!

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jun 26, 2019, 10:05 AM

Interesting article - dsp .... But - who on TNet is not a BIRG’er ... of the highest order ?!? -:D

Too many to name, but mo importantly, if you do...

Jun 26, 2019, 10:10 AM

you know, name them, @B-Meist® & @Crump® for whatever reason, consider that a wanton, personal attack & outside the stated rules.

It's within all of you to be the bigger person, save bob of course.

So...with regards to Bob

Jun 26, 2019, 11:31 AM

Isn't picking on a short person a form of discrimination...or is the fact he has a 'carry permit' for his scythe an offset? I'm puzzled...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no regard what-so-ever for bob...

Jun 26, 2019, 11:36 AM

let's hope that clears things up.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic