Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spending for basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Spending for basketball

Apr 1, 2019, 2:19 PM

how much more does Clemson need to spend to win in basketball? A newly renovated LJC and a staff larger than UNC's. What do you need more money for? The only thing you could spend more on is paying players and Clemson doesn't do that.
So the only thing that needs to happen is to win more games next year and the person who most controls that outcome is the head coach and his staff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spending for basketball

Apr 1, 2019, 2:21 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

I don't understand what Clemson fans think can happen at

Apr 1, 2019, 2:30 PM

Clemson. We're on the same level with the same teams pretty much every year. We never dip into the cellar. We compete with about who i think we should compete with. This year we just underachieved. Last year we overachieved. But we're really right where we always are.

ONly way you can get better is pay MORE for a coach. And the coaches are probably going to have baggage or are goign to require a hefty increase.

I for one don't think we'll get to that place so, i'd just keep Brad. Ricky Pitino is a sure thing but he's got baggage. But he'd have us in the final four in four years. Most people will scoff at that but if you're scoffing then you should be fine with Brad. The majority of smaller school coaches will just be Brad substitutes.

I guess we can just play the coaching carousel game forever....

Re: I don't understand what Clemson fans think can happen at

Apr 1, 2019, 3:13 PM

I have to agree that there is more cheating going on in college Basketball than any college sport. I guess the way to win consistently, is to find the best coach at cheating and hope that he never gets caught, LMAO, or stick with doing it the right way and stay about where we are now!!!;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What people think can happen at Clemson is what has happened

Apr 1, 2019, 3:28 PM [ in reply to I don't understand what Clemson fans think can happen at ]

at places like: Virginia Tech (football school, poor facilities), Texas Tech (Lubbock, Tx for goodness sakes), Auburn (Football school), Florida St. (Football school), Butler (Who-exactly), Iowa State (Ames, freaking Iowa).

None of these programs have basketball “history” in the modern era.

What they all do have in common is coaching (or Butler did have when it went to 2 back to back final fours.

Oh, and Wichita State too.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 2:39 PM
Cash.gif(87.2 K)

Apr 1, 2019, 3:03 PM

better talent evaluations... kid from Dalzell never even got a look... ons of talent out there, gotta go find it. Can't confirm it, but I bet Izzo and MsU don't pay to play either.... TT and Purdue? doubt it, Edwards was crazy good...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 3:18 PM

So much wrong in this thread

UNCheat spends 2x Clemson so they have more staff even if not listed in their directory

The kid from Dazell was not missed. He was evaluated and passed. Basically everyone in college passed except a couple of programs. FYI basketball coaches do cannot see the future so they evaluate on what can be seen

To answer the original question, we spend +/- 5MM now and we would likely need to double that to insure a top 15 type of program. We would also need to find a way to admit both jucos and mouth breathers with questionable academics

This argument about Clemson spending

Apr 1, 2019, 3:32 PM

Dollars being the reason for poor team play is funny to me. So we finished 20-14 and very well could have been 24-10...a great year by most non blue blood standards. One group say the $$$ puts us over, but it wasn’t $$$ costing those flipped losses. It was bad luck, bad plays/fouls at wrong time and when losing a 19 point lead to NCS....bad coaching. More $$$ not the solution...paying the right coach the present money is the trick. Still let’s see what happens next year. Go Tigers!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This argument about Clemson spending

Apr 1, 2019, 3:45 PM

Funny when Clemson went to the final 8 last year no one said we were not spending enough money on basketball. But lose some close games and the blame is not enough money.

Re: This argument about Clemson spending

Apr 1, 2019, 7:02 PM

16, not 8. The same people thought the same thing last year and many years before that. We just didn’t have a message board full of experts saying fire Brad, he’s the problem, which solicits differing opinions. That opinion is that CU has always undervalued BB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 3:51 PM

I don't think it's a question of money, but rather that of talent.
I like to think that Brad Brownell can recruit basketball players, but does he really know what a "basketball playmaker is"?

Apr 1, 2019, 5:10 PM

WHY DON'T YOU SHOW HIM.I BET YOU KNOW.

Apr 1, 2019, 6:00 PM

Actually, I don't know, but when I read about a young kid from Sumter S.C. who was recruited by a Mid Major school in the Ohio Valley Conference(Ja Morant of Murray State)that Brad Brownell didn't even look at, I have to wonder what other potential "playmaker" type players in the South don't even get evaluated by our Coaching staff.

Apr 1, 2019, 7:25 PM

Great point. If you have a staff and they do not at least give the HC enough insight to offer the kid, you need to check your staff. I also wonder if the kid’s talents would have been used to maximum value by our staff. On another note, I see talent with C. Trap and I’m hoping he gets the coaching needed now til next season to take over this team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Spending for basketball ]

Gotta pay for talent these days. Ex Duke, Carolina, Mich, Tenn, Aub, FSU, KY...
All buy players. Clemson doesn’t. NCAA basketball is corrupt. Period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic