Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Special teams question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Special teams question

Sep 16, 2019, 8:56 AM

I have noticed this for awhile now and wondered if anyone knew the reason.

When the other team punts we usually rush two or three players to the punter. But they seem to pull up right as they get to the blockers regardless of the punter has kicked or not. And seems to me it has been a long time since we even blocked a punt attempt. My question is this...is this planned or something just to keep the other team honest?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is planned

Sep 16, 2019, 9:27 AM

It is to protect against a fake punt. The odds of blocking a punt vs a good return are in favor of a good return. Also a running into or roughing the punter penalty usually results in the other team retaining possession. I have no stats for the penalty vs a blocked kick, but I'd wager on more penalties than blocked kicks. The main idea is to get the ball back.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Special teams question

Sep 16, 2019, 9:52 AM

I also noticed ,as I’m sure our coaches did ,that Syracuse didn’t rush any one, and had it been necessary they would have been a team that could have been vulnerable to a fake punt

Sep 16, 2019, 10:40 AM

I saw that too, our punter could have taken 2 steps and took off with 3 lead blockers every time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei.

Sep 16, 2019, 10:07 AM

I think it was either last season or 2017 we partially blocked one of Bama's punts.

I think we send a guy or two when we think we have a chance instead of trying every time.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic