Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
South Carolina Scouting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

South Carolina Scouting

Nov 22, 2016, 3:24 PM

It's that time again folks. After the wind took my perfect prediction and took the 3 FGs attempts off the field (you can read it here, http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=20482630 ) I was still only 9 points off from that game. I'm back to be accurate again this week, and I am thankful to the good lord that I only have to infect my computer with this much Coot football the week we play them). Happy Thanksgiving to everyone as well but without further ado:

KEYS

Offense

1) Run the da## ball (QB run, Gallman, Gallman, Gallman (got the point yet?), Jet Sweeps with Artavis and Ray Ray, Screen game to Williams and Renfrow)

- I’m going to make this very simple for us this week. Usuck is giving up 198.5 yards a game ON THE GROUND. For the season, they are giving up an average of 4.9 yards/carry. That’s awful folks, and it’s not like they have played any great offense this year either. Case in point, even when they made UGA one dimensional (gave up only 29 yards passing, 5 completions) but gave up 326 yards on 50 carries that game. The best offense they have played all season to this point? Missouri……. LOL (and they had 565 yards of total offense against Usuck as well. Run the ball, specifically to the right side of our O-line (Don’t even get me started on Hearn’s run blocking……. Crowder>>>>>>>>>>> Hearn). One additional thing to mention is the running game is Elliott’s tendency to run towards the side with the TE (if Leggett/Williams go in motion, more often than not we run to that side of the field). If Elliott can set them up by doing this early, and then making an adjustment later in the game (if needed, I’d love to save this until the playoff but if we need it we need it) to playaction off of it deep or run to the weak side of the field (if they show blitz to our strong side, aka a run blitz), we got em, and we got em good.

2) QB run game IN THE REDZONE

-It’s very hard for me to be happy when we pass in the redzone, especially near the goal line. QB run game gives us the advantage with an extra blocker, and we eliminate the chance of a turnover (more on that later).

3) Do NOT turn the ball over, convert 3rd downs

-I’m going to be very specific here. We are going against a young team (8 of their starters on offense are Sophomores or Freshman) that is average at running the ball (140 yards per game, 3.8 yards/carry). The more unforced chances they have, the more confidence they will gain (they average forcing 2 TOs a game). Do not turn the ball over, convert 3rd downs (they are terrible at that by the way), and make this game a blow out by half time. (Can it be? Absolutely, will it? We’ll get to that).

Defense

1) Stop their running game

-An obvious one, but the most crucial aspect of this entire game. A running game takes pressure off the QB, and their QB tends to force the ball on 3rd and long. Stop their average running game (3.8 yards/carry on the season), and the rest will take care of itself.

2) Discipline in the Back 7

-Usuck has a very good TE (#81, 6’5” 250lbs) who they featured a lot this season, but he was mostly used as a blocker in the Tennessee game. I expect to see Usuck take the gameplan that Pitt used (you know where this is going) and shovel option to him approx. 8 times this game. Boulware, I’m looking at you big man. You have got to step up your pass coverage skills this game. You, me, our fan base, their fan base, heck the ENTIRE nation probably knows your lack of pass coverage skills. Coach V needs to help you by dropping you into coverage with a member of the secondary to help support, and I think with that adjustment, you will get an INT this game when they run an ill-advised wheel route expecting you to bite and you won’t.

3) Hit, Hit, Hit, Hit, Hit Bentley

-Here is where it gets fun for us (hehehehe). Bentley has been sacked 17 times in his 5 starts (0 against WCU and 2 against UMass). That makes 15 sacks against Tennessee, Missouri, and Florida combined. If Missouri and Tennessee’s defenses (who both got a lot of pressure WITHOUT key starters in the game that were out due to injury) can get pressure, the over/under could be 8 sacks in this one with it easily being over (don’t be surprised if we have 10 sacks in this game, the right side of their offensive line and the lack of recognizing pressure by Bentley are the perfect storm). Ex. Tennessee got most of their sacks on only 5 man rushes, mixing up the looks pre-snap and blitzing only one LB at a time with the front 4 rushing the QB. Bentley never adjusted to the blitz on any of the sacks.

4) CROWD NOISE

-This is our job as fans. I'll be in the upper deck like I have been for every home game this season, yelling my rear end off. Usuck is 6-5 this season, but are 5-1 at home and only 1-3 on the road. Again, 1-3 on the road. ONE AND THREE ON THE ROAD. The only road win was against Vandy to start the season. We can rattle them, and we will. Young Bentley has only played 1 game on the road so far and that was at Florida, and he was rattled most of that game. No TDs, 1 Pick, under 60% completion percentage for that game. The team didn't even score until less than 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

MISC
(I added this to include any that don’t fit just the offense or defense specifically, includes Special Teams)

1) Return one kick off for a Touch down

-The opportunity is going to be there this game. Usuck has given up 3 TD returns this season to 3 different teams. Artavis, looking at you big man. CJ Fuller, could be yours as well. Even if we don’t return one for a TD, field position should be solid. 48 Kickoffs, only 17 touchbacks on the season. Expect 90% of our drives to be 70 yards or less for a TD.

2) Keep Usuck out of the red zone

-As bad as Usuck has been at times this season, I’d be lying if I said they haven’t done anything good. On the season, they have only 1 turnover in the red zone, but have only scored 27 TDs all season, but 22 of those have been in the red zone (out of 37 red zone attempts, so even when they get into the red zone they have only scored a TD 59% of the time). (read that line again, it’s very important). If we keep them out of the red zone on the majority of their drives, this game will NOT be close.

PREDICTION

1st Quarter

-Usuck will struggle to move the football. Coach V is going to bring pressure on 1st down time and time again. They will be behind the chains most of the quarter; however, we will have a bust in coverage which will lead to a Usuck TD (Bentley has the ability to throw the deep ball, and it by far the best QB on their roster, even as young as he is. He will hit a couple throws this game that we will just have to tip our hat and move to the next play). Our offense will have little trouble moving the ball, running the ball right at English (he's quick but small, Crowder has 100lbs on him folks) scoring 14 points in the opening quarter. 14-7 end of 1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

-This is when we will see us put some distance on these guys. Usuck will continue to struggle moving the ball, particularly running the football. Coach V will start playing more coverage on 1st down, bring some pressure on 2nd down, and rush 5 consistently on 3rd down (the extra rusher coming from the LBs on occasion and the Secondary the others). On one key 3rd down about half way through the quarter, Coach V will dial up an overload blitz up the middle and will drop both DEs into the flat, Bentley will check it down to the flat, and one of our DEs will blow the play up. Offensively, Williams and Leggett explode and rip the Usuck defense a new one. 35-10 halftime. (NOTE: I know we are not as good in the 2nd quarter as we are in the first, but Usuck is decent in the 1st quarter, but awful in the 2nd (outscored 55-75 this season). This will look similar to the Louisville game for us offensively in that 2nd quarter.

3rd Quarter

-Both teams will make adjustments. Both teams will turn the ball over. Expect this quarter to be fairly even. Usuck has outscored opponents 43-42 this season in the 3rd quarter while we have 69-54 in the 3rd as well. Towards the end of the quarter, you will see Gallman breakthrough for another TD. 42-13 end of 3rd quarter.

4th Quarter

-Ball control, Ball control, Ball control. Run out the clock, get Nick in the game under 10 minutes to play. Get Feaster some much needed carries, he will break off a TD run around halfway through the quarter to end the scoring for the game.

49-13 Final

Stats and Other Key Info

• 6-5 Overall, 3-5 in Conference
o Wins over Vandy (13-10), ECU (20-15), UMass (34-28), Tennessee (24-21), Missouri (31-21), Western Carolina (44-31)
o Losses to @ Mississippi State (14-27), @ Kentucky (10-17), Texas A & M (13-24), UGA (14-28), @ Florida (7-20)
• Offense (per game)
o Scoring
? 20.36 points
? Points off Turnovers = 61 (5.55 points/game)
o 1st Downs
? 18.1
o Total Offense
? 347.2 yards
• 111th in the country in Total Offense (just to explain how bad this is, KANSAS is 104th, UTEP is 106th).
? 67.45 plays
o Rushing
? 140.5 yards
? 3.8 per attempt
? 37.45 rushes
? 1.64 TDs
o Passing
? 206.7 yards
? 6.9 yards per attempt
? 0.73 TDs
? 30 attempts
o Turnovers (giveaways)
? 15 Fumbles (10 lost) on the season
? 4 Interceptions
• Only 1 thrown by Bentley
o 3rd Downs
? 55/158 (season)
• 34.8%
• Only 11/35 in the 1st quarter
o 34.8%
• Only 8/35 in the 4th quarter
o 22%
? In their 5 losses, they are 17/70
• 24.2%
o Penalties
? 5.18/47 yards per game
o Sacks given up
? 33 on the season (3 per game, KEY STAT HERE)
? Bentley in 5 games (0 against WCU so really 4) has been sacked 17 times (15 not including Umass game)
• Defense (per game)
o Points given up
? 22 points
o 1st Downs
? 21.27
o Total Defense
? 387.6 yards
? 71.27 plays
o Rushing
? 198.5 yards/game
? 4.9 yards/carry
? 40.81 rushes
? 1.36 TDs
o Passing
? 189.1 yards
? 6.2 yards/attempt
? 1.09 TDs
? 30.45 attempts
o Turnovers (takeaways)
? 19 Fumbles forced (11 recovered) on the season
? 13 Interceptions
• 3 each for #3 Chris Lammons, #11 TJ Holloman, #7 Jamarcus King
? Averaging 2 Takeaways per game
o 3rd Downs
? 64/158 on the season
• 40.5%
o Sacks
? 20 on the season
• 1.82/game
• Darius English has 9 of their 20 sacks by himself
• Special Teams
o FGs
? 12/16
• 8/8 under 40 yards
• 3/6 from 40-49 yards
• ½ from 50+ (made 55 yarder to beat Vandy in the opener)
o Punts
? 65 punts on the season (approx. 5 punts per game)
? Only 3 TBs but 25 inside the 20
o Return Game
? 11 Punt returns, avg. 3.7 yards per return
? 21 Kick Returns, avg. 28 yards per return
• 1 TD (Deebo Samuel)
• HAVE GIVEN UP 3 KICK RETURNS FOR TOUCHDOWNS THIS SEASON
o Kickoffs
? 48 kicks, avg. 63.4 yards/kick
? 17 TBs, 1 out of bounds
• Depth Chart Notes
o Pollard will be starting, will be going against English
? Pollard has the benefit of Crowder to help when needed (Crowder has 100lbs on English and his a
o 3/11 of SCs starters are Seniors (1)/Juniors (2), those 3 all on the O-line (51 and 77 though are not good at adjusting to D line stunts and recognizing pressure)
o Edwards (#89) has a height advantage over our entire secondary (average 3 inch height advantage), Receiver
o Expect to see Pitt’s game plan executed by SC (watch TE #81 Hayden Hurst, 6’5” 250lbs)
o SC’s depth chart only lists starters, but in a Nickel set (4-2-5 scheme)
o Their DTs are the size of our lightest OLs
o Their DEs are light but quick (English is only 245lbs but he’s 6’ 6” with a long wing span and is quick off the ball, he has 9 sacks this season for a reason)
o Artavis is listed above Ray Ray at starter for Punt Return (big adjustment that we needed to make, even with the “or” status)
o Wilkins will be tested at DE in this game, he’s lining up against #74 Mason Zandi (this dude is 6’ 9” 315lbs and is better than their RT by a lot).
• Misc Notes
o 5-2 @ home, 1-3 on the road
o 25.71 Points/game @ home, 11 points per game on the road
? 13, 14, 10, 7 points scored on the road
o 27 TDs, 12 FGs on the season
o Scoring by Quarter
? 1st – 73 to 55
? 2nd – 55 to 75
? 3rd – 43 to 42
? 4th – 53 to 70
o Coots have forced at least 1 turnover per game in 9/11 games
o Most yards given up to one player in the running game was Nick Fitzgerald (Mississippi State) @ 195 yards on 28 rushes.
o Most TD passes given up against ECU (3 TDs)
o Most rushes by an opponent (50, Kentucky (YEP, Kentucky…..)
o 30/37 red zone scoring (only 22 TDs, 8 FGs) on the season
o Only 1 turnover in the red zone all season
Specific Game Notes

Tennessee
-OL was dominated when Tennessee rushed 5 (blitzed 1)
-Right side of the O-line struggled (#51 and #77)
-Entire line struggled to adjust to Tennessee D linemen running stunts
-Bentley is NOT good at adjusting his protection to protect him (this falls into Coach Venable’s Hands, he excels are shifting pressures)
-As young as Bentley is, if given time, he will complete some downfield throws (have to give credit where credit is due, he is by far the best Coot QB on their roster, even as a True Freshman, and he’s taken care of the ball, even when blindsided 3 times in this game)
-Terrible on 3rd Downs (5/16)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In0RsLN2x1k

Florida
-rushed 30 times for 43 yards for 1 TD
-completed 18 of 33 passes for 213 yards ZERO TDs 1 Interception
-Were dominated by the Florida defensive line
-3/13 on 3rd downs

References
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2579/south-carolina-gamecocks
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/scar/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/stats/season_stats.pdf

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope you are right..but doubt it. I say 38-24 Tigers.***

Nov 22, 2016, 3:53 PM

Re: Hope you are right..but doubt it. I say 38-24 Tigers.***

Nov 22, 2016, 3:55 PM

the only way this game is close is turnovers. I've watched more coot football in the last 2 1/2 days than I ever have, and I NEVER want to do that again, but game week calls for it. Even when they've lost by double digits, the only reason those games were not worse is because they forced turnovers. Take care of the ball and we blow them out.

Nov 22, 2016, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Hope you are right..but doubt it. I say 38-24 Tigers.*** ]

Can we see the Executive Summary? Just kidding.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2016, 6:34 AM [ in reply to Hope you are right..but doubt it. I say 38-24 Tigers.*** ]

Nice write up, I'm going with 49-7.

Vegas is giving 24 points - you can get rich with plenty of

Nov 24, 2016, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Hope you are right..but doubt it. I say 38-24 Tigers.*** ]

points to spare

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: South Carolina Scouting

Nov 22, 2016, 4:37 PM

good stuff as always man. I like seeing some analytics on here similar to STS.

appreciate it***

Nov 22, 2016, 11:47 PM

Nov 22, 2016, 5:05 PM

Great analysis. I mostly agree with you, and look for a blow-out... 45-20 Tigers... normal circumstances. If we turn it over more than twice, 34-24. If we don't turn it over, and Dabo wants to respond to MusCoot's comments on Ms. Dabo, we might be looking at a track meet... something on the order of 65-10.

I'll go for the middle ground at 45-20. That's enough for a good 'ol Chicken pluckin'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My boss says he needs this in a slide for an executive leadership team meeting

Nov 23, 2016, 6:53 AM

Do you mind putting this into a single PowerPoint slide? Also need to limit to no more than 5 bullets. Or you could just put in a bunch of pretty charts that day nothing.

Love my job.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My boss says he needs this in a slide for an executive leadership team meeting

Nov 23, 2016, 4:55 PM

bahahaha, staff work is a pain! I've gotta start making the copy and paste from word to this forum work better.

Right on the money!*************

Nov 23, 2016, 6:37 PM

Nov 23, 2016, 9:34 PM

Like the work! Close game is out the window is we can run and have NO Turnovers inside the red zone. My final score is 42 to 19 as USuck drives but is unable to finish beyond field goals except for score. Clemson needs to play their most complete game, especially for CFP, our recruiting and fan's enjoyment over the next 365 days!

Go kick butt Tigers!

Sign me up.***

Nov 23, 2016, 11:31 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

awesome work

Nov 24, 2016, 9:09 AM

Thanks for doing this!

Good Analysis....

Nov 24, 2016, 9:38 AM

And for the most part, I agree with your keys.

On the tendency to run to the TE (strong) side: Most teams have the same tendency, since the TE is an extra blocker - if he does his job.... if not, he's just in the way and clogging up running lanes. We need to show some improvement here.

Once you establish the run to the strong side, the LBs and safeties start to cheat and the defensive front starts to lean to the strong side. That's the time to motion strong and come back with the counter to the weak side, a play we use, but not enough - because we aren't as effective as we should be running to the strong side. If we can get good blocking to the strong side, then I agree with your notion that we should THEN run weak-side and it should go for big yardage. We could also run an option counter following a successful strong-side run that reverses the TE to an underneath route from his motion - something I "think" I've seen us do with Leggett this season. If the play works, the TE's route takes him 180° against the flow of the defense's back seven - which could be huge.

Since I played the position in the days of single wing football with two TEs (or one tight, one split), I may be the biggest proponent of using the TE more, but whatever we do, I'll be in my usual seat, making noise!

Re: Good Analysis....

Nov 24, 2016, 2:05 PM

agree 100%. Running to the strong side is definitely a common trend, I'd like to see us setup the weak side and playaction a little better (for later in the game, adjustments are not always our OC's strong suit).

I'll be in my seat losin my voice this weekend as well man!

45-24 is my prediction.*****

Nov 24, 2016, 3:16 PM

Thanksgiving night bump***

Nov 24, 2016, 10:44 PM

Friday bump***

Nov 25, 2016, 5:04 PM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1