Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
HVACdiagnosis.net
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 441

HVACdiagnosis.net

Jan 17, 2019, 11:17 AM

So last night I smelled a faint electrical burning smell...realized it was coming from the air return vents in my house. (I have a gas furnace...one of those big all in one outside deals)

I also realized that there was no air coming from the vents, even though I leave the fan in the "on" position all the time for re-circulation. Initial thought was a bad blower motor.

Just for giggles, turned thermostat down below room temp, and turned on A/C. Fan came on, no problem. That led me to partially, but not completely rule out blower motor.

Turned heat back on, heat came out normally, shrugged, went to bed. Woke up to 65 degree house.

Left entire system off for thirty minutes, turned back on.....house immediately heated up as normal.

I think it's one of two things:

1) A draft inducer motor going bad, and triggering a safety cutoff for the system. However this component is separate from the ductwork...I'm not sure how I would smell this component burning up from the interior vents.

2) A blower motor on the way out. This would make sense for the smell, but it turns on perfectly when the setting isn't on "heat".

What gives?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty simple, really.

Jan 17, 2019, 11:24 AM

You have a delaminating transconducer coil causing a failure in your bivalve manifold switch.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well, duh, but WHICH bivalve?***

Jan 17, 2019, 11:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's always the left one.

Jan 17, 2019, 11:27 AM

ALWAYS.

What if you look at it from the other side?***

Jan 17, 2019, 12:37 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure why you'd be interested in looking at the HVAC

Jan 17, 2019, 2:40 PM

system once you're dead.

Re: well, duh, but WHICH bivalve?***

Jan 17, 2019, 2:44 PM [ in reply to well, duh, but WHICH bivalve?*** ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'ma say that you

Jan 17, 2019, 11:33 AM

prolly know more about it than most HVAC repair doods. Guarantee atleast 1 outta 3 of'em say, "It's the compressor" and you know it's boolshid.

Mebbe the "heat" setting ain't drawing enough power to the blower motor, kinda like a brownout, causing the motor to overheat? So blower motor going bad? Or is there a sensor tripping the motor off?

A brownout you say ( ?° ?? ?°)***

Jan 17, 2019, 11:57 AM

whoah.........***

Jan 17, 2019, 11:58 AM

Regis, I'm gonna have to poll the audience.

Jan 17, 2019, 12:16 PM [ in reply to A brownout you say ( ?° ?? ?°)*** ]

I'm not sure what the new meaning of brownout is, 'cuz I'm old and ain't with it anymore. I use to be with it, then they went and changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it. And what's it seems weird and scary to me...it'll happen to you!

If you're that old you've had a few brownouts

Jan 17, 2019, 12:54 PM

recently.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: A brownout you say ( ?° ?? ?°)***

Jan 17, 2019, 3:43 PM [ in reply to A brownout you say ( ?° ?? ?°)*** ]

https://youtu.be/nTd5ghvMkvI

Re: HVACdiagnosis.net

Jan 17, 2019, 12:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa1ez7yL_T4

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was waiting on this, but that's pretty weak.

Jan 17, 2019, 12:27 PM

We're just talking about flames, and deadly flammable gas, and my family, and your first instinct is to call a professional? What kind of puzzzie do you think I am?

isn't the blower motor fairly easy replace

Jan 17, 2019, 12:28 PM

call grainger

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just don't know which blower it is.

Jan 17, 2019, 12:29 PM

And I have a home warranty, which means I pay $600 a year to pay someone a $75 deductible to come out and replace this $100 part on Saturday (two days after I called them, assuming they don't have to order the part---they will).

Sorry.

Jan 17, 2019, 12:27 PM

I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

You could have flame rollout causing your flame rollout switch to trip.

Jan 17, 2019, 12:44 PM

The burning smell would happen before it actually tripped shutting off the furnace as a safety feature. If it is flame rollout it could be holes in your heat exchanger or a dirty heat exchanger. But you would have to look to see if there was evidence of flame rollout in your furnace. Just a guess, but someone’s gonna have to look at that sucker.

you could easily be drunk and making that up, but

Jan 17, 2019, 12:48 PM

it sounds credible. I will look into that.

ghana have to get amperage reading on both fans to tell***

Jan 17, 2019, 12:52 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sell the house.***

Jan 17, 2019, 12:55 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No idea if that is it or not, but when the unit finally does

Jan 17, 2019, 1:29 PM

kick the bucket, just order one online and put it in yourself. Those gaspacks come precharged and are simple as h#ll to put in. At least half price of what an HVAC company will charge you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Good lord people

Jan 17, 2019, 3:16 PM

CHECK THE LINT TRAP!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 441
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic