Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Unsure what some are complaining about
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Unsure what some are complaining about

Jun 23, 2018, 9:27 AM

This class is now ranked #3 on 247.. and i think most everyone agrees its going to be a big class. Probably 5-10 more scholarships to give out. This is a great class. GO TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unsure what some are complaining about

Jun 23, 2018, 9:28 AM

There will be at least 10 more in this class.

Some people in this world.....

Jun 23, 2018, 9:37 AM

can not be happy unless they have something to complain about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some people in this world.....

Jun 23, 2018, 9:58 AM

Also, by January, many of these 3* will be 4*.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Some people in this world..... ]

THE SKY IS FALLING, AND THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Some people in this world..... ]

^

T
H
I
S
^

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 23, 2018, 10:09 AM

I think we also have to realize that its unrealistic to expect a class of all 4 and 5 star guys (esp at this point in the recruiting process). Those high star guys want to play, and not many will commit 1) this early 2) into a situation where they would be coming in with several other guys that could take away playing time. Seems to me the staff is stocking up on high quality kids (some may end up 4 star guys that can redshirt) and leaving room for several 5 stars to commit in Dec. This class is about depth, which we will need.

Jun 23, 2018, 10:22 AM

Macrotiger said:

I think we also have to realize that its unrealistic to expect a class of all 4 and 5 star guys (esp at this point in the recruiting process). Those high star guys want to play, and not many will commit 1) this early 2) into a situation where they would be coming in with several other guys that could take away playing time. Seems to me the staff is stocking up on high quality kids (some may end up 4 star guys that can redshirt) and leaving room for several 5 stars to commit in Dec. This class is about depth, which we will need.

If your post were true teams like Bama and O31O would only have good recruiting classes every 3 or 4 years. The truth is the great players want to compete with other great players. Simply put the stars were not aligned for us this year but that is ok as this will be a very good class. Last year was a monster year although we should have taken 4-5 more players. Next year also appears to be a monster year. This year is about depth and we are more than meeting our goal

Jun 23, 2018, 11:43 AM

I think this IS a very good recruiting class. One inline with those Ala and OH. These recruiting sites are about making money. At the end of the recruiting cycle the name Alabama and Ohio adds at least 0.25 to their avg star rating. Thats why we are competing against those teams with 5 yr composites that are at least 5-8 spots lower in the rankings.

The stars didnt align?

Jun 23, 2018, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Unsure what some are complaining about ]

When did I miss signing day?

LOL, good call.***

Jun 26, 2018, 10:32 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Unsure what some are complaining about ]

There are only like 30 5-stars, and about 400 4-stars...the rest? 3 stars or lower. In classes when we could only take 15 players, we would turn away those 3 stars and focus on the big fish, since we had to be selective. This year we don't have to turn those guys away and in fact, we can't because we have to accumulate depth. We're taking over 30 guys. The last few years we've had 3-4 five stars per class out of 15 or so. This year we take 30, so expect at least 3-4 more 5-stars. Also, people don't seem to realize its JUNE. Tee Higgins didn't commit until July and Big Dex didn't commit until December, lot of time left folks

You won't hear a Alabama, Ohio State, or Georgia say it is

Jun 23, 2018, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Unsure what some are complaining about ]

it's unrealistic to expect recruiting classes of 4 and 5 star guys. They demand it of their coaches year in and year out and will accept nothing less.

We're solidly in that Tier 2 level (Bama the only T1) with 7

Jun 23, 2018, 1:03 PM

4-star recruits in this class so far. Lots of spots and targets left to add still. Where were we this time last year?

I would also put our 2-star booming lefty punter Aiden Swanson up in that category but it's not allowed for special teams. He's going to be a dude from the get go.

Dabo and Company are in the midst of pulling a Mr. Miyagi with this class by the time it's all said and done but most people don't see it because of the ratings distractions.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well since I haven’t talked to every Bama, Dog and

Jun 26, 2018, 10:36 PM [ in reply to You won't hear a Alabama, Ohio State, or Georgia say it is ]

buckeye fan I will just have to take your word for it?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LoL....demand it do they?***

Jun 27, 2018, 8:56 AM [ in reply to You won't hear a Alabama, Ohio State, or Georgia say it is ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 23, 2018, 11:40 AM

Everybody knows that all the really good players always hold out until the last minute anyway. There's still a long time to go and a lot of uncommitted players.

Jun 23, 2018, 11:41 AM

We are 18th by average star ranking so sitting at no. 3 right now is very deceiving. We won’t stay there.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 11:49 AM

Glad you pointed this out. Recruiting is all about average star rating. I know this is a big class and will help with depth. I also know with a big class you take a few projects with high upside. The problem with this class is we are and have missed on many of our big targets. This class is good but not on par with Bama. The good news is on the whole the 2019 class isn’t strong. I expect 2020 to be a great class, especially if TLaw and that D can get us a championship.

Some Clemson sites said 2019 would be a great class as well

Jun 23, 2018, 12:14 PM

Clemson would pull elite kids from Georgia:

Nolan Smith
Owen Pappoe
Keiondre Jones
Kevin Harris
Harry Miller

I remember reading of Mickey Conn's ties as a Georgia high school coach would pay dividends for Clemson.

Re: Some Clemson sites said 2019 would be a great class as well

Jun 23, 2018, 12:19 PM

I don’t disagree with you but out of those kids we didn’t lead for many. Pappoe and Miller we did. Pappoe got Auburned. I don’t know for a fact like I did about the RB recruit that ended up at UGA but the rhetoric is Auburn is in one of their buying a championship modes.

Miller I have no idea what happened and OSU passed us but that one is one of the biggest losses of this class.

The Conn connection is over. Those kids weren’t coached by him and the new coach at Grayson isn’t connected to Conn. He is here bc he’s a good coach.

Jun 23, 2018, 1:03 PM

I disagree. Of those five, we led or were in the lead group for all of them. Clemson sites were saying it was a matter of time before Nolan Smith flipped. We had a strong lead for Kevin Harris.

I also believe Auburn is as dirty as they come however Georgia is pretty close. The bulldogs are cheating their ### off. Kirby Smart can recruit and his ENTIRE staff can as well. Sam Pittman is an elite OL coach that can recruit. Take a look at the players recruited by Dell McGee.

And I strongly disagree on Mickey Conn. He was at Grayson for 16 years and the recruiting territories were changed to allow him to recruit an area he was familiar with.

Go Tigers.

Jun 23, 2018, 1:12 PM

Ya I agree we were in the lead group for all but not the stated leader but for 2. Who knows about Smith maybe he still flips but hat talk has cooled.

And yes UGA is probably dirty. I know of a players mom asking for money from clemson and obviously didn’t get it. Don’t know if Georgia did anything but he signed there so connect the dots.

Also I agree with you... orange bias aside this class is extremely underwhelming and that’s a concern. I just hope 2020 plays out different. Good news the next 3 years TLaw can cover up a lot of problems similar to that of DW4.

Jun 23, 2018, 12:49 PM

This is the worst 3rd ranked recruiting class Clemson has ever had. (dripping with sarcasm)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are 3rd today because we have more commits than about everybody.

Jun 23, 2018, 1:47 PM

Once the others get the same number of commits, they will blow by us if our star average stays the same as it is today. One factor is the re-ranking of our commits and the chance they move up which will strengthen class. Who knows??

Re: We are 3rd today because we have more commits than about everybody.

Jun 23, 2018, 1:56 PM

Ya it’s not a hard concept to understand how rivals does the rankings and project our class out. I really hope (and think we do) land Booth. Ideally we can add a few other pieces like the DT from west coast, Crouch, and the OL from WV who we will get on campus coming up. We need some big fish to keep the rank in the top 5 that’s for sure.

The way I've judged our signees and classes is by looking at

Jun 23, 2018, 1:06 PM

who else was recruiting them. In days past, we would be get kids that chose us from KY, GT, Appalachian, etc. You could get a feel for how good they were going to be. In the Danny days, we would compete and get some blue chippers. Then fewer during Hatfield and Tommy W. Bowden stepped it up, but now most of our guys are choosing between us and the other elite programs nationally.

Look at who these "terrible" 3 stars are being recruited by, then stop complaining. We are at a high, high level that Clemson has never been to before.

Re: The way I've judged our signees and classes is by looking at

Jun 23, 2018, 1:47 PM

Offers like Citadel, Coastal, ECU, Georgia State, and Kent State? I mean not even the brightest orange glasses can overlook that take. I hope the kid turns out great but let’s be honest with ourselves. Look at the recruits from 2018 and who we beat and 2019 and who we beat. This class has been good but don’t act like it was great. Good news is 2018 was great and hopefully 2020 will be great and that will allow time for a few of these recruits to become junior and senior contributors bc outside of a few there aren’t any ready made players.

Been watching this a long time. Back in the day, that's how

Jun 26, 2018, 8:30 PM

we could tell if our class was going to be goo or not.

Jun 23, 2018, 1:32 PM

There is a big difference in taking 3s that you want now as opposed to settling for 3s at the last minute.

Jun 26, 2018, 8:35 PM

Lack of quality offensive linemen!

Let me explain my only complaint.

Jun 26, 2018, 8:43 PM

It's not football season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's fairly insignificant where the class ranks right now

Jun 27, 2018, 7:47 AM

The way the rankings work is that every recruit has a point value. The point value of your top 25 recruits is scored and any additional recruits beyond 25 best in the class are ignored. Right now the teams with the most commits (we have 18 trailing only Ole Miss and Purdue at 19) have an advantage, but once everyone ends up with around 25 signees the rankings will fall more in line with the average star rankings. We are currently 19th on Rivals in that category which suggests that our class will likely finish somewhere closer to 15th than 3rd.

Right now it's more of a quantity over quality thing, but that will change as classes fill out around the country.

That is an inflated ranking

Jun 27, 2018, 9:10 AM

We are that high right now because of the number of commits we have which skews the number because you get a set number of points for each commit so while the number of commits nationwide are so varied, the biggest classes get a boost in their rankings despite having not as strong of a player average.

I agree, it will be a fine class. But the opinion of

Jun 27, 2018, 9:52 AM

recruiting experts doesn’t matter much. The class ranking matters even less. All that really matters is what they do on campus

But the higher the player ranking the more likely they

Jun 27, 2018, 10:23 AM

are to succeed on campus. That's just the way it works.

Probably because we always seem to have several 5* players

Jun 27, 2018, 10:10 AM

in our smaller classes but not so much yet in this larger class.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What have ya got ?

Jun 27, 2018, 9:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic