Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The 4 team playoff is perfect IMO.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

The 4 team playoff is perfect IMO.

Dec 4, 2017, 10:53 AM

We are complaining about who should be #4. To me, that means the playoff is working.

The goal is to find #1.

Ohio St, Bama, and USC are just placeholders. There are plenty of examples, like this year, where 3 teams are deserving of #1.

There's never a year where #5 deserves to be #1. And extremely rarely does #4 deserve to be #1. That's the primary reason why you only need 4 teams.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you only had 4 major conferences, i'd agree...

Dec 4, 2017, 10:57 AM

but they scewed it up having 5 power 5 leagues and only making 4 spots.

no other sport/league in the world leaves out 1 of their major winners.

in my opinion, USC has just as big as a gripe as anybody else today

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: if you only had 4 major conferences, i'd agree...

Dec 4, 2017, 11:06 AM

I think it depends on what your goal is. My goal is simply to find who is #1.

I'm not sure there will ever be a year where you could argue that #5 deserves to be #1. There has always been separation.

USC, Ohio St, nor Alabama has any argument IMO to be #1. They are simply a placeholder. Sure, bama now has a chance, but that's just part of it.

The goal is to put 4 teams in a playoff to figure

Dec 4, 2017, 11:11 AM

Out who is #1 on the field

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I'd argue UCF has the biggest gripe

Dec 4, 2017, 11:07 AM [ in reply to if you only had 4 major conferences, i'd agree... ]

Why play in a division of a sport where no matter if you win every single game you have zero path to the title?

But USC's gripe certainly makes more sense, to me, than Ohio State's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UCF should've scheduled someone decent.

Dec 4, 2017, 11:10 AM

At least Houston played Louisville and Oklahoma.

While I agree with the sentiment

Dec 4, 2017, 11:13 AM

That's not as easy as it sounds sometimes.

But I'm not weeping over UCF being left out, just don't understand why we'd have a system where a team literally has zero chance to play for the title. Why even consider them a part of FBS division if they can't win it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think in a perfect world, we should only have 64 teams

Dec 4, 2017, 11:16 AM

eligible to win the National Title.

4 16 team conferences. The other schools would have their own deal. But thats a different argument.

Re: I think in a perfect world, we should only have 64 teams

Dec 4, 2017, 2:53 PM

The issue is, you'll have years where a team plays the bottom 8-9 teams of those conferences and cake walks into the playoffs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But they can win it...If they schedule top 25 teams***

Dec 4, 2017, 11:42 AM [ in reply to While I agree with the sentiment ]

the Gamecocks have zero chance to win a title

Dec 4, 2017, 2:07 PM [ in reply to While I agree with the sentiment ]

But you don't see them complaining

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They did have GT scheduled, but that was canceled on account

Dec 4, 2017, 3:45 PM [ in reply to UCF should've scheduled someone decent. ]

of Irma. However, that wouldn't have helped them...

SC gripe falls on deaf ears. ND 49-SC 14. Same with Ohio St.

Dec 4, 2017, 11:09 AM [ in reply to if you only had 4 major conferences, i'd agree... ]

Iowa 55 OSU 24.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In this years case, 2 champs proved to be wanting

Dec 4, 2017, 11:10 AM [ in reply to if you only had 4 major conferences, i'd agree... ]

Each with horrible losses to their credit, they would not compete as well as Bama will. More than 4 will water the whole thing down.

Also, what other sport in the world has a postseason as awesome as CFB? Our postseason is built to support a regular season where every game matters (except of course the cupcakes), whereas all other sports can get in by losing many games, in some cases, and still win a title. If you miss the playoff, you can make a major bowl game with lots of excitement and pageantry.

The bigger the playoff, the less the season will mean. Because with 8 or more teams in the playoff, teams could lose 2 games and just make sure to win their conference to make it. Now, teams must try to win all their games, and therefore every week matters. Not just the last couple weeks of the season to see who is close.

You could also argue that having a quality OOC loss on

Dec 4, 2017, 12:17 PM

your resume, i.e. O31O with Oklahoma this year, will start negatively affecting the regular season as Power 5 schools start shying away from scheduling these games in lieu of more cupcakes. The recipe works for Bama. Why shouldn't others follow?

Having said that, Bama seems to me a clear #4 today regardless, but a B1G champ 12-1 OSU with a win over Mercer early season instead of an OK home loss puts them in without question.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You could also argue that having a quality OOC loss on

Dec 4, 2017, 1:29 PM

The thing is, if Ohio State had beaten Iowa, or at least been within one score I think we would see them in at #4. The way they lost that game was the biggest negative impact.

For instance, Auburn had two losses but since one of them was to us it didn't have that great of an impact. Of course they also beat two teams ranked #1 at the time which helped.

I thought number 4 would have been USC.

Dec 4, 2017, 11:14 AM [ in reply to if you only had 4 major conferences, i'd agree... ]

I was shocked to see them left out, and at number 8. The PAC12 must be weak.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Dec 4, 2017, 11:32 AM [ in reply to if you only had 4 major conferences, i'd agree... ]

I don't disagree with this. Make #4 and #5 have a play in game the week before the semi-finals. Puts the lower seeds at a disadvantage, which is fair in my opinion. Drop one of the ooc games for an extra bye week.

Don't know about USC. They lost by 35 to Notre Dame. About the only good thing ND did was lose to Uga by 1.

I agree. Needs to be a 6-team play-in.***

Dec 4, 2017, 12:06 PM [ in reply to if you only had 4 major conferences, i'd agree... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 1:26 PM [ in reply to if you only had 4 major conferences, i'd agree... ]

In general you get one mulligan, we have Syracuse, Oklahoma has Iowa State, Georgia has Auburn (which they avenged), and Bama has Auburn.

I can certainly see the gripe that OSU and USC have based on them playing an extra game and winning, and it certainly isn't fair that while we had a scrimmage against Miami that Bama got to sit on their couches, OSU and USC shouldn't have lost twice, and once by 4-5 scores.

If the goal is to find Number 1 then you can leave out

Dec 4, 2017, 11:01 AM

anyone who is second in their conference.

No you can't. You could easily have 2 incredible teams from

Dec 4, 2017, 11:08 AM

the same conference. That's not out of the realm of possibility.

There could be a year where Clemson's only loss is to FSU. That shouldn't automatically exclude them from consideration.

If FSU beats Clemson, then FSU is better than Clemson.

Dec 4, 2017, 12:01 PM

The OP stated that the play-off should be for finding out who is #1

In your hypothetical:

If FSU beats Clemson, then FSU is better than Clemson.

Clemson could be left out of a four team CFP but finish the year ranked #2.

In your hypothetical, why would you want a committee or formula to figure out who is number 1? Why not just take the results on the field.

Why do you want everyone to get a "do over". These are grown men playing big time college football.

The flaw in your reasoning is your definition of "deserves"

Dec 4, 2017, 11:09 AM

Bama didn't "deserve " anything.

They played their way out of the playoffs on the field, where it should matter.

The other 3 teams played their way in via conference champ games.

1 sat at home on the couch eating bon bons. You shouldnt be able to Pegg Bundy your way into the playoffs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Bama, Ohio St, nor USC "deserved" anything. That's my point

Dec 4, 2017, 11:13 AM

But you have to choose someone as the 4th place team. All of those teams are extremely flawed.

The goal, however, is to determine #1. Oklahoma, UGA, and Clemson deserve that chance.

Many years, you have 3 teams who deserve that chance. It's why you must have a 4 team playoff. the #5, 6, 7, or 8 teams do not deserve that chance. Keep it exclusive.

You are using the fact that uga, Clemson, and ok

Dec 4, 2017, 11:38 AM

Did the right thing to justify bam a doing the wrong.

I agree cu, uga, and ok s should be in. Not because they "deserved" it off eye test.

They played their way in by winning their division On the field. They earned their slots by winning their conference champ game ON the field.

I'd have no problem leaving oklahom, uga, Clemson out if they lost their champ game.

Wow, this is such a short sighted and callous opinion

Dec 4, 2017, 11:49 AM

Ohio State or USC just may have been able to pull it off. Likely no, but the same can be said of Syracuse-Clemson. It happens and that's why the game is played. Rewarded for staying at home and watching everyone else play in a conference championship is questionable and worth a debate (not a complaint).

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plenty of teams can "pull it off". It's why we love

Dec 4, 2017, 11:55 AM

college basketball tournament.

That doesn't mean those teams are deserving to be #1.

It's pretty clear this year. Ohio St, USC, and Bama are flawed when compared to Clemson, UGA, Oklahoma.

The fact that we have to let one of those teams in sucks. Imagine having to let in a 3 loss Auburn team in an 8 team playoff. That makes absolutely zero sense.

Somehow I feel like many, perhaps you, would be upset...

Dec 4, 2017, 1:03 PM

...if Clemson has been in the same position as USC or Ohio State. The simply solution is a 6 team or 8 team playoff. I'm not sure why you would be opposed to a 6 team playoff and why you would suggest that that is must worse than a 4 team playoff.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The playoff works in the regard you speak, which is a HUGE

Dec 4, 2017, 12:05 PM

improvement over the BCS. I preferred the old bowl system over the BCS it was so flawed.

However, with the advent of CCG's in all 5 Power 5 leagues, this additional weekend of play-off / play-in / play-out / play-for-league-title-only just doesn't jibe well with a simple top 4. It's clunky and unbalanced, and to me that takes away from the process.

I have NO problem whatsoever if the Power 5 leagues agreed to do away with CCG's and use that weekend for regular season champs + 3 at large over 4 games, instead of the 5 games we have that weekend now.

From a personal standpoint, I don't like the division structure in leagues at all and want to see conferences lose them altogether. For Clemson, having to play BC, Syracuse, and Wake every year at the expense of UNC, the Virginia schools, Miami, Pitt, etc. on a more equal basis takes away from more interesting regular seasons. Losing CCG's would allow for divisions to go by the wayside, and 4 games instead of 5 on CCG weekend would be an improvement.

FWIW, Ohio State still would not have made it in this year under that format. Wisconsin owned a 9-0 league record and at #8 in last week's CFP poll, Pac-12 regular season champ USC (#10) would have claimed the 8th spot. Also, we would have been an at-large as Miami would have owned a common league opponent tiebreaker over us (Syracuse) and thus claimed the ACC's auto-berth.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The answer to your concerns is to do away with divisions and

Dec 4, 2017, 1:21 PM

let the two teams with the best record play for the conference championship.

It works in the Big XII.

Not if TCU had won. Both would have been out. Just like B1G.***

Dec 4, 2017, 1:23 PM

In 2014, #4 Ohio State was actually #1

Dec 4, 2017, 12:26 PM

But would TCU or Baylor have been #1?

Maybe, we will never know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So the NFL playoff can be dropped to 2 games?

Dec 4, 2017, 12:30 PM

Sweet. I’ll write Goodell to let him know.

Under the BCS it seemed like losing 1 game was very hard to

Dec 4, 2017, 1:22 PM

recover from.

In the NFL, losing 1 game is no big deal.

In fact, losing 6 games is no big deal.

Can't agree - there are a number of teams...........

Dec 4, 2017, 12:32 PM

outside of the Top 4 that could win it all. By going to 8 teams, for example, the question would be removed.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic