Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sometimes I think that coaches
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Sometimes I think that coaches

Apr 2, 2019, 9:21 PM

Try to make the game to difficult for young players. Even at the collegiate level. Switching pitchers and hitters to lefty vs. righty etc just messes up the game. For the most part, we are talking about teenagers at this level of baseball. Some coaches must watch to much professional baseball and believe they have to be like Alex Cora or Aaron Boone. Let the kids play the game! Infield shifts are another thing that just doesn’t fit into amateur ball game. There too much coaching and not enough solid, smart play. imo

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dont overthink tonight too much . . .

Apr 2, 2019, 9:38 PM

In a nutshell:

We played a good team. We gave up 5 hits and 3 earned runs. We left one runner on third with one out. We only got 4 hits ourselves and scored three earned runs. We pitched well enough to win. We didn't hit it well at all and certainly didn't field the ball cleanly enough.

We didn't earn the win tonight. Frustration I understand . . .

Shake the dust off and get our heads on straight because there's another series coming our way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: dont overthink tonight too much . . .

Apr 2, 2019, 9:53 PM

Very well said as usual. That fella is a legit chunker. You’ll see him in the pro’s one day. Wish we had been a little more patient at the plate in the early innings. He grooved a couple to Teo late but he just swung underneath it... that’s baseball.

I reviewed every game that fella has pitched this season and unless I overlooked something, this is the deepest he’s pitched this year. He’s also given up 3-4 hits max each game and his lone loss was a 1-0 game.

Go Tigers! Get the birds this weekend!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So playing percentages is bad?

Apr 2, 2019, 9:41 PM

You dont think major college staffs have analytics telling them how a particular hitter or pitcher performs against a righty or lefty?

Re: So playing percentages is bad?

Apr 2, 2019, 9:45 PM

I’m sure that they do and where does it get them? I suggest that that kind of data works less than half the time.

That seems like one of those statistics

Apr 2, 2019, 9:52 PM

You just made up.

This year alone I've seen tons of times that we, or the opponent, hit directly into the shift. Of course thats anecdotal, but it's supported by the fact that the folks who are paid to make the decisions continue to choose to play the odds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 2, 2019, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Re: So playing percentages is bad? ]

You probably wouldn’t have liked Monte’s pregame interview. Radio was laughing (in jest) at the overwhelming analytics he was chunking at em. Different game these days but the percentages actually bear out they work more times than not.

That being said, very few coaches come along like Wilhelm that just has a feel for the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2019, 11:08 AM

Feel for the game in the old days meant that the coach was such a smart guy that he knew these trends by watching what was going on.

It takes a baseball genius to be able to retain that sort of information in his head.

By all accounts, Wilhelm fit into that category.

I am not old enough to have followed him, but I have heard stories that he never forget anything that he saw happen in a game.

"Feel for the game" today is often short for, "I don't want to follow data because I'm old school and want to do it the way I want to do it".

The playing field is leveled now because instead of guys like Wilhelm having a huge advantage in terms of thinking the game, every coach can look at data and trends and see which approach will give him the best chance to win.

Re: Sometimes I think that coaches

Apr 3, 2019, 11:13 AM

So you are saying you want "smart play" but you don't want fielders to shift to pull when the batter hits 90% of his balls-in-play to the pull side?

In the old days, when the coach told the center fielder to move over because the batter pulls the ball all the time, it was called feel for the game.

Now because the center fielder AND either the short stop or second baseman also move then it's overthinking?

Just my .02 on the shifts...

Apr 3, 2019, 12:02 PM

IMO it requires that the pitcher locate the ball properly so the shift works. Pitching to the wrong side of the plate allows the batter to go opposite field other than what we possibly expect. I've seen times that the shift was on and the batter went with the pitch and went opposite of what everyone thought would happen.

Coaches get paid a lot so I guess we expect them to look like they're coaching, whether it helps or not.

I've listened often to a coot relative that complained that their coach never coached, and just stood in the dugout. When they lost, he complained that their coach was not really coaching.

Re: Sometimes I think that coaches

Apr 3, 2019, 12:03 PM

I am sure that BV made it "impossible" for Tua. But that is a different discussion.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic