Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, nothing about Jon Stewart and the hearing today?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 552

So, nothing about Jon Stewart and the hearing today?

Jun 11, 2019, 10:47 PM

What is it republicans don't like about the bill/act?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like he got really angry. I’m looking forward to the media’s

Jun 12, 2019, 8:09 AM

mockery of him for being unhinged and for the SNL parody. I’m just assuming that that will happen for someone who gets angry about something that he is not directly affected by, since it was appropriate for Kavanaugh for getting heated as he was called a serial rapist. Sounds like Jon was really upset about the lack of attendance. I guess as a big celebrity he expected a better audience. What an unhinged lunatic, am I right?

On the topic itself, I claim ignorance. I don’t know enough about the fund, the costs, what other compensations first responders get, etc.

null

Typical “I didn’t watch it but” response

Jun 12, 2019, 8:41 AM

It couldn’t have been less about him.

His point was, the gallery was full of first responders that were medically harmed by literally running toward danger to save others but most of the hearing committee couldn’t be bothered to show up for a discussion on renewing funding to provide heath care and disability for these heroes.

Making an impassioned plea on behalf of others in no way compares losing your cool in a “job interview”

Watch the clip, you won’t catch libturd cooties and you might be impressed.

#1) lol. Job interview. You are crazy. The man was being accused

Jun 12, 2019, 9:02 AM

of being a serial rapist on national television. Don’t diminish it.

#2) I don’t have to watch the video. Stewart is always impressive.

null

The complications of committing to fund and...

Jun 12, 2019, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Sounds like he got really angry. I’m looking forward to the media’s ]

continue to fund the benefits for emergency responders is complicated. Evidently people other than first responders are filing claims. This opens another can of worms if congress is asked to fund healthcare for everyone who have health issues due to the terrorist attacks. I'm not talking about buying health insurance for them I'm talking about congress assuming the liability of their illnesses.

I'm not positive about the following assessments but from what I assume asbestos was involved in the collapse of the buildings. If there was a worst part of the decades of problems caused by asbestos it was the children of the boat builders being exposed when their fathers got home and contaminated their houses.

The 9-11 terrorist attack has possibly become a generational problem which means, if possible, it's more serious now than first believed.

The air is so thick with politics it's almost impossible to get to the truth. These people have no limits when it comes to a political win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The complications of committing to fund and...

Jun 12, 2019, 12:40 PM

I have no doubt it is a very complicated issue and like you I'm frustrated that there seems to be a lot of politics in play here. I honestly don't know whether it's dems trying to take advantage of an emotional issue to get other agenda items or a larger umbrella pushed through...or pubs trying to take some sort of stand on an unrelated principle. Whatever the reasons, those men and women directly affected deserve all the help we can muster. No different in my mind than Vietnam vets fighting for help with illnesses associated with agent orange, etc. Why can't Washington just draft a bill/act without all the pork, etc weighing it down?

I'm not pointing a finger at either political party.

Jun 12, 2019, 1:03 PM

I'm impeaching the integrity of both. Say what you want but house pubs could work with dems on this despite the dumbasz hearings which show how desperate they are for power.

The division in DC is outrageous when people deserving help are ignored by both parties over a lover's spat. The only think that surprises me about congress' polling at 16% is that it's so high a number for such a pack of putzes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not really what was going on

Jun 12, 2019, 2:15 PM

People need to stop lazily blaming Congress for everything

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not pointing a finger at either political party.

Jun 12, 2019, 2:46 PM [ in reply to I'm not pointing a finger at either political party. ]

I'm impeaching the integrity of both. Say what you want but house pubs could work with dems on this despite the dumbasz hearings which show how desperate they are for power.

The division in DC is outrageous when people deserving help are ignored by both parties over a lover's spat. The only think that surprises me about congress' polling at 16% is that it's so high a number for such a pack of putzes.

Well said, couldn't agree more. The depressing part is that we American's re-elect incumbents at a rate of 95%.

We get what we deserve.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Such a silly mindset***

Jun 12, 2019, 2:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Such a silly mindset***

Jun 12, 2019, 3:13 PM

We re-elect incumbents at a 95% rate. That's what's silly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why?***

Jun 12, 2019, 6:48 PM

You can read the Ranking Member's statement here:

Jun 12, 2019, 2:14 PM [ in reply to The complications of committing to fund and... ]

https://republicans-judiciary.house.gov/press-release/collins-statement-on-reauthorization-of-september-11th-victim-compensation-fund/

I don't think either side was trying to play this hearing up for a political win, but Stewart got pissy about the fact that not a lot of subcommittee members cared enough about his testimony to stick around until the very end of the hearing. You wouldn't have heard anything about this hearing if Stewart hadn't gotten mad.

1st off, I don't like Jon Stewart. Just another celeb that

Jun 12, 2019, 9:08 AM

thinks because of his celebrity he should have a larger voice than anyone else.

That said, Stewart was on point on this one. I thought it was shameful that so many congressmen failed to show up. The clips I saw only had brief shots of the bench and it appeared that there were many absentees from both sides of the aisle.

Go-Nadler was there. Maybe he could hold his committee in contempt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

No, it was not on point

Jun 12, 2019, 2:01 PM

It was yet another one of these things where somebody made a show of their indignation against the nebulous "them" of politicians, but which actually just played on people's ignorance of Congressional process.

I responded to someone I believe might be interested in...

Jun 12, 2019, 11:01 AM

more than politics. It seems for once you guys could get off the troll boat and take a look at a problem.

just more fake news from the libbies***

Jun 12, 2019, 11:17 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Is this a partisan issue?***

Jun 12, 2019, 11:56 AM

no it's not***

Jun 12, 2019, 12:21 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: Is this a partisan issue?***

Jun 12, 2019, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Is this a partisan issue?*** ]

Not in my mind. I guess my question could have been phrased better...just interested in what the objections are.

The objections are similar to when...

Jun 12, 2019, 1:08 PM

a man ask his wife where she wants to eat while they are driving toward the cluster of restaurants and she says 'I don't know, what do you think.'

Knowing that she's about to pick a fight the husband insist that he doesn't care and the choice is entirely hers to make.

When the man tires of the discussion and picks a place the woman goes apechit and reminds him of that time when he looked at her sister twice. The entire thing is about a division and neither party wants to work together on anything.

Not really, but...

Jun 12, 2019, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Is this a partisan issue?*** ]

Some Republicans were skeptical of this program when the bill was originally debated because it was projected to cost $7 billion, and would be a new entitlement. The hearing was likely called by the chairman of the subcommittee as a sort of favor to the people who were on the panel, and as a way to generate press. It was an informational hearing without votes, so it wasn't particularly important for everybody on the subcommittee to be there. Because these kinds of hearings are usually scheduled by the Chairman (from the majority party), you're more likely to get members of the majority party there than the minority party. So that might explain why most of the Republicans weren't there.

There may also have been votes going on in the House, which would be more important for Members to be there for. We also don't know if there were other events (like other hearings) that might've been prioritized.

Probably the most important thing to point out is that there are only 14 people on the subcommittee that called this hearing, so the room was always going to look mostly empty.

Here's the Ranking Member's statement, which makes it seem like Republicans support reauthorization: https://republicans-judiciary.house.gov/press-release/collins-statement-on-reauthorization-of-september-11th-victim-compensation-fund/

Message was edited by: camcgee®

The rant was stupid

Jun 12, 2019, 1:54 PM

It was a subcommittee hearing in a room with far more chairs than there were members of the subcommittee. It was also just an informational hearing on an issue that's not really all that controversial, so I'm not sure why Members would prioritize coming to the hearing. Stewart also was the very last person to speak on the last panel, so other Members may have left by the time he spoke.

Replies: 22
| visibility 552
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic