Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can we stop pretending these bowl games matter
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Can we stop pretending these bowl games matter

Dec 26, 2018, 3:55 PM

When a weather delay of a few hours causes the cancellation of a game, you can not tell me they matter. How ###### of the organizers to cancel after fans of these teams spent hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars to travel there etc. I mean, maybe there were only a dozen fans from each team, but still people decided to go.

Remind me to never buy a ticket to a ###### bowl, it may just get cancelled.

On that note, here is to hoping lots of lightning in Charlotte Saturday.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't want the Coots to escape with a no contest***

Dec 26, 2018, 3:56 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since they are playing Vigina

Dec 26, 2018, 4:03 PM

as bad as I would like to see one, a L prolly won't happen

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: Can we stop pretending these bowl games matter

Dec 26, 2018, 4:07 PM

I have known they don't matter for a few years. No pretending here.

Oh good grief,

Dec 26, 2018, 4:08 PM

it's not like they cancelled it simply to avoid the inconvenience of a few hours delay. Absolutely terrible weather (including continued lightning, which was the reason for delays to start with) were projected the rest of the day and into the night. Cancelling a bowl is a rare occurrence. You say the cancellation is proof of it's meaninglessness, while in the same breath noting that schools and fans spent thousands of dollars for travel, lodging, etc. So I guess to them it wasn't meaningless.

Sure, there's a relative aspect to it. There's less money involved in this than the CFP or other big bowls, and so all things considered it would probably be a financial loss for the bowls to reschedule, so they don't. But it's not like it is *entirely* meaningless if it's not CFP or NY6, it just depends on the interested parties and why they care.

Folks need to quit *needing* bowls to be meaningless - pretending to be able to declare them *objectively* meaningless from on high in order for their narrative to hold up. It matters to some even though it's not for all the marbles. Deal with it.

Here you go numb nuts

Dec 26, 2018, 10:51 PM

There was a four (plus) hour window between rain and more than that for lightning. What are the chances that a NY6 or CFP game gets cancelled? None! Why? Because they matter. When players decide to forgo the game because they do not matter, and when they get cancelled because of 2 hours worth of bad weather, they do not ####### matter.

https://imgur.com/a/NYr3L76

That gap in weather was over 250 miles. 3:21 pm was the last lightning strike in the area until 8:29 pm, but keep preaching. ??

Message was edited by: LKN Tiger®

Re: Here you go numb nuts

Dec 26, 2018, 11:30 PM

You have way too much time on your hands in front of the TV.

No, I can't.

Dec 26, 2018, 4:36 PM

Because I never started.

Dec 26, 2018, 4:42 PM

So then our Chick-Fil-A bowl victory in 2012 didn’t matter either then. Nuk should have sat out of that one to prep for the NFL too.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 possibly the turning point in our program***

Dec 26, 2018, 4:46 PM

Are you comparing a bowl with a $10+ million dollar payout

Dec 26, 2018, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Can we stop pretending these bowl games matter ]

to a bowl with a bowl game that has a $1 million dollar payout? Ok.

Re: Are you comparing a bowl with a $10+ million dollar payout

Dec 26, 2018, 11:24 PM

I agree the bowls are so watered down, it's like drinking in a cheap bar but some of these schools need the $1M just to keep their programs alive. Even as much as the ACC teams can pull in revenue from these actually helps the Tigers and our other sports. The only real college football left are the playoff and NC games. The rest is all for the $ unless it's UCF because they are playing LSU for their own NC.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2018, 11:34 PM

I like cheap bars. Additionally, I would like to add the win against LSU STARTED our run (not the ND game in 2015, sorry ESPN/Irish).

Dec 26, 2018, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Are you comparing a bowl with a $10+ million dollar payout ]

You’re of course entitled to your opinion and have plenty of folks who agree with you. In my view though it’s rather cynical and perhaps uninformed.

These games serve a number of functions beyond the revenue they’re intended to generate. Regardless of whether it’s the Peach Bowl or the Cheez it Bowl they serve as momentum builders for programs. That’s important for building a winning culture. It’s important for recruiting. The experience serves as a teacher of how to win big games. It’s a reward for all of the hard work they’ve put in together.

Beyond that, for the majority of seniors on these teams, it’s the last time they’ll EVER put on a football uniform. It’s their last time to enjoy the game, the experience of playing with teammates you’ve worked and spent so much time with, and the last time they get to go out and represent their university knowing it’s a prime network viewing event.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2018, 4:24 AM

Exactly it’s the players reward for having a winning season. It’s a chance for all seniors and juniors planning on leaving to shine. This is the last time they play as brothers. There families are there and fans have spent considerable amount of money to get there.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 27, 2018, 6:54 AM

I doubt the players are that fired up to play in the Pinstripe Bowl or the Foster Farms bowl etc. I am sure they don't get too excited about putting that bowl trophy in their trophy case.

Dec 26, 2018, 4:47 PM

First, who’s pretending they do. Second, when did they ever matter?

Dec 27, 2018, 12:03 AM

Since the new trend for some is to skip there bowl game to get ready for draft. Maybe they should make it where a player can play 4 games in the regular season plus the bowl game and still keep there elegability.

Dec 27, 2018, 6:12 AM

They matter to me. And there will come a time, maybe in five years, maybe in 15, where we'll be in a bowl like the Gator (or worse) again. Maybe not super prestigious, but fun for fans and players. Tons more practice and reps for underclassmen. Just because we're walking in tall cotton at the moment doesnt mean our fans should forget: it wasn't ancient history when we used to burn up fax machines to go to Boise.

Dec 27, 2018, 6:41 AM

evidently the fans who spent money and made the trip didn't matter , because they are the ones who got screwed

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic