Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sick of WCPP defending Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Sick of WCPP defending Brownell

Mar 20, 2018, 3:04 PM

All of them are like we told you this would happen. We all said he shouldn’t have been fired...

That’s all fine and good now but this is the same station that wanted to keep Bowden.

Brownell probably should’ve already been fired due to results. Don’t act like you are so smart WCCP

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They just don't like you and trying to get on your nerves...

Mar 20, 2018, 3:06 PM

don't let them trigger you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're members of the media, of course they aren't going

Mar 20, 2018, 3:10 PM

to burn bridges for potential interviews and call for the current coaches to be fired. Especially with them being the "flagship" station for Clemson athletics.

It's just how it goes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sick of WCPP defending Brownell

Mar 20, 2018, 3:20 PM

I wouldn't let it worry you. Most talk show personalities know just about everything. They can ask you to come on the air and voice your opinion and to them, your opinion is wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

some of them literally ride with the team/coaches to

Mar 20, 2018, 4:25 PM

Away games or announce sporting events for the school so they're going to be for the coach. It is just indicative of the flagship station. BB led us to a great season and nobody predicted this.

Call the police. . Clearly they have a gun to your

Mar 20, 2018, 3:20 PM

Head. .. the police can help more than tnet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Mar 20, 2018, 3:24 PM

Im sorry that your radio is broken and wont change channels.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 20, 2018, 3:48 PM

So are you saying he doesn't deserve being defended? Ultimately, if he is meeting the demands/goals of the school, he should be kept. I'm not sure why he shouldn't be defended. Hell, maybe the light came on for him, as things sometimes do with all people!

Bowden was a different story. Good talent yet inconsistent underperformance in a weak football conference at the time. Brownell hasn't had the talent in a strong basketball conference and yet has finished in the middle of the pack in most years.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:10 PM

Way to go WCCP. Some folks will never admit they were wrong

Batting .500 will get you in the Hall of Fame.***

Mar 20, 2018, 4:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Batting .500 will get you in the Hall of Fame.***

Mar 20, 2018, 4:57 PM

So will striking out! Babe Ruth did it 1360 Times!

So your opinion counts more how??***

Mar 20, 2018, 5:09 PM

It only took a decade to get Brad going.

Mar 20, 2018, 5:14 PM

Imagine what Clemson can do after he's been here 20 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It only took a decade to get Brad going.

Mar 20, 2018, 5:34 PM

A Sweet 16 and maybe the final 8.
Pretty good huh!

Mar 21, 2018, 12:31 AM [ in reply to It only took a decade to get Brad going. ]

He has the highest conference win % of any coach in our history.

Mar 21, 2018, 12:28 PM

I don't mean this post as anything negative towards Brownell, but this IMO is where stats don't tell the entire story. The stat you mention is true of course, but to show my point, let's compare him to Purnell. Purnell took over a horrible program, and went 3-13, and 5-11 in the ACC over his first two seasons. Brownell took over a tournament team and went 9-7, and 8-8 over his first two seasons.

From that point on Purnell went 42-38 in conference which is a winning percentage of .525. Since his first two seasons, Brownell has gone 50-58 which is a winning percentage of .462. I'm not saying that makes Purnell a better coach or anything. I'm only saying that stats don't always tell the whole story.

Also, this is a matter of opinion obviously, but I don't think the ACC schedule is as hard today as it was back with only 9 teams. Yes, there are still some great teams in this conference, and this year there were 9 tournament teams. On the other hand, that also means we had 6 teams not reach it. We finished in the top 5 this year, and only played 3 of the other 4 top 5 teams(UVA, Duke, Miami) once. It's still a very tough conference to play in, but going .500 in conference today doesn't seem as difficult as it was 10 years ago.

Mar 21, 2018, 1:36 PM

Where you at tiggerz04®, Judge Keller, Clemalum07®, CM Shack?

Mar 21, 2018, 1:49 PM

lol the clown who thinks 5 out of 7 isnt consistent and thinks that 9-7 10-6 9-7 and 9-7 isnt plateauing is trying to call me out...

That is rich.

Mar 21, 2018, 9:21 PM

There's no way you're this ignorant.

Like the poster above said, you can't judge Purnell on his entire tenure because of what he inherited. By the time his program was established he was at or above .500 in the ACC. The coach before Purnell had a .250 conference winning percentage.

Mar 21, 2018, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: It only took a decade to get Brad going. ]

You still haven't answered the following:

- How my statement regarding KJ was a "slap in the face"
- How going one and done 5 out of 7 ACC tourneys, 1 out of 3 NITs, and all 3 of the NCAA Tourney's (virtually all of them being the higher seed) isn't "consistency"
- As Clemalum07® mentioned how the last 4 years staying the same record wouldn't be considered "plateauing"

Still sort of waiting on those answers.

Mar 21, 2018, 2:06 PM

Be careful when he is proven wrong he will call you a racist.

Seems to be the trend, if you don't agree with someone

Mar 21, 2018, 2:08 PM

that isn't the same ethnicity as you then it's obvious that the white guy must be a racist.

Mar 21, 2018, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Re: It only took a decade to get Brad going. ]

Someone with talent like KJ would have succeeded and turned into an NBA player no matter where he went to school. To give all the credit to Brownell is laughable....

Considering what Purnell inherited the program he built was impressive. It's hilarious that you dog what he did in SEVEN seasons but give Brownell a pass for SEVEN seasons of missing the NCAA's.

Like I said....there has to be other factors at play here. Maybe you're his wife or something...

It really is too bad that you fail to acknowledge what Brownell inherited.

Mar 21, 2018, 9:55 PM

And please don’t regurgitate the “NCAA Tournament three years in a row” line. All was clearly not as it appeared. Consider:

-A vastly overrated 2009 recruiting class. Milton Jennings, a 5 star, and Noel Johnson, a 4 star, were both very overrated
-Only ONE recruit signed for 2010
-A fairly empty cupboard for 2011 and beyond
-Horrible team chemistry, including several players in 2010 who threatened to transfer from Clemson if Purnell returned
-Poor team GPA and graduation rates
-Poorly developed basketball players in terms of basketball fundamentals
-Inconsistent support from administration for basketball
-No real donor base of alumni (i.e., Purnell had not addressed it or built it)

Look, Purnell did some great things for Clemson. He greatly improved our program from what Shyatt had left him, and we had some success. But things had clearly plateaued with Purnell, and there were some significant issues on the team and behind the scenes that Brownell had to fix.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 21, 2018, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Re: It only took a decade to get Brad going. ]

I look at records from the previous 4 years as a huge hump BB couldn't get over moreso than a plateau. Hopefully those types of seasons will be anomalies from here on out.

Message was edited by: orangecoloredglasses®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2018, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: It only took a decade to get Brad going. ]

Regarding the number of teams in the ACC, expansion was in 2005.

Coincidentally OP's record changed dramatically post-expansion, so I'm not sure that we get to use that card, especially considering the first teams in the expansion were Virginia Tech and Miami, followed by Boston College (which was good at the time but took a downturn quickly).

The expansion that Brownell has had to deal with added Louisville (perennial power), Syracuse (at the worst an above average program), and Pittsburgh (with Jamie Dixon as coach).

Of course it's again, an opinion, but one could argue the second round of expansion far exceeds the level of team that was added in the first round, therefore making the conference harder.

Add on to that the extra games, which means an additional road game, and any difference in the skill level of the league would be negligible. Of course we don't have to play Duke and UNC twice every year now, but we replace those games with a game against Louisville, or Syracuse, and it's just as tough.

Mar 21, 2018, 2:39 PM

My post wasn't clear on this, but on the conference expansion thing, I wasn't using that in favor of Purnell, but rather in factoring in past coaches such as Barnes or Ellis. As I said, it's all an opinion, but it just feels easier to go .500 today compared to the way it was with 9 teams. I hate to use the word easier, because I'm not suggesting that it's easy, but rather just not quite as difficult as it once was.

I don't have any real stats to use to show this, but it just felt like going 9-7 back then was a much bigger thing than going 10-8 today. Again, don't take any of that as me trying to take anything away from the wonderful job Brownell has done this season. He may very well use this for an extended run of great seasons, and go down as the best basketball coach we've ever had, and I hope he does. I just don't he's there yet, even though you could use a few stats to suggest he is. I just don't think those stats tell the entire story is all.

Mar 21, 2018, 2:42 PM

Of course, it's just I see that as a crutch to down play what Brownell has done this season saying the ACC is "easier" now that there are more teams.

I certainly didn't mean to accuse you of anything, just offered a different perspective on the expansion. The ACC is clearly still the premier conference in college basketball, and going 11-7, finishing tied for 3rd was a tremendous accomplishment.

Like you said, time will tell how things end for Brownell, but I remain hopeful that this trend will continue and we can build on this success.

Mar 21, 2018, 2:55 PM

No doubt. This season has been great, and who knows how much better it would have been had Grantham not gone down with an injury. That just adds to how impressive this season has been IMO, and really we've been in every game this season down to the final minutes except the regular season game with UVA. This season has been a huge success even if we don't advance any further.

So perhaps using the word "easier" wasn't fair on my part. Perhaps it's more fair to say it's hard for me to compare his conference winning percentage to past coaches simply because the conference is much different.

Mar 21, 2018, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: It only took a decade to get Brad going. ]

And for the record, I was never in the fire Brownell camp. I'll admit to not objecting to it following last season either, but I'm usually stubburn when it comes to firing coaches, as I even late to join the get rid of Bowden crowd.

I probably do find myself still defending Purnell though, because I remember a lot of fans calling for him to be fired because he was losing in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament. With our lack of basketball tradition, I just couldn't believe we had been to the tournament 3 years in a row, and had fans wanting to replace the coach for not doing more. Losing in the 1st round is frustrating of course, but I always thought that would be like Duke football fans wanting to fire their coach for making the ACC Championship game 3 years in a row and losing each time.

He of course ended up leaving on his own, but he deserves to be remembered fondly IMO.

Mar 20, 2018, 6:58 PM

I go to WCCP for all my Kansas State football news. They have a really good coach

Mar 20, 2018, 11:31 PM

I love Dabo, but had Tommy had the resources and money that Dabo has I think his success would have been different. I dont think the administration was all in, especially with $$$$, when it came to Tommy.

please don’t compare basketball to football.. obviously

Mar 20, 2018, 11:59 PM

Our basketball coach should garner more leeway than our football coach. As long as he’s making strides and improving. Brownells teams seem to always perform at or above expectations. He’s always picked to be lower 3rd of the conference and usually exceeds that. Unless we start going 2-14 in conference we’re good

Mar 21, 2018, 12:26 AM

Greenvillealum09,

Let me say several responses to your post were directly about the flagship station’s defense of Brownell, but reading between the lines you obviously think he wsn’t worth keeping. Perhaps you need to discuss Tiger BB history in order to begin to understand just what Brownell has overcome.

Your critic attitude is evident, but I have seen far worse Basketball since Tates Locke and beyond. Brownell has had ONE losing season at Clemson and taken the program to the tournament twice and the NIT twice in eight years a part of which we were renovating LJC!

There are schools with far better legacies who would love his performance and all you want to do is complain? I too want consistent winning and if this year is any indication Tiger BB will grow and continue doing so under Brownell.

Give the team and staff their due. Respect their accomplishments, especially in adjusting to the loss of Grantham and then Mitchell for several games. I for one admire the work and effort to produce the outcomes.

Go Tigers!

Has to double check to make sure this was from today, not 2015***

Mar 21, 2018, 12:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I Hope Brownell Gets A Lifetime Contract

Mar 21, 2018, 11:17 AM

Just to #### you off

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoa now Cobb! I mean I realize your upset

Mar 21, 2018, 11:38 AM

When you say that and I admire your opinions! But let's not go crazy here! I'm incredibly impressed with what BB has done this season and I know he will get the obligatory raise and extension but let's avoid the lifetime contract talk for a bit!! I just think most coaches tend to perform a little better without tenure! Lol. (Hopefully you were speaking in jest)

Mar 21, 2018, 11:56 PM

How honest do you expect him to be? A radio show host who admits to being wrong often wouldn't last long.
If Walt called for Brownell's firing and is now acting like they didn't do it, that is one thing, but if they've been supportive all along then let them have their day in the sun.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic