Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should undrafted Underclassmen be allowed to return?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Should undrafted Underclassmen be allowed to return?

May 8, 2019, 3:46 PM

Every year there are a good # of early entries who go un-drafted. This year 49 of the 144 underclassman who declared early for the NFL Draft did not get picked. There are alot of reasons for declaring early, but some of them just get plain bad advice, make the wrong choice betting on themselves, or just have a bad day at the Combine. Should there be an avenue for undrafted players that dont sign with an agent to return to school? I could see this possibly being an issue with scholarships and roster space (recruiting)?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Should undrafted Underclassmen be allowed to return?

May 8, 2019, 3:47 PM

I don't think so.. if that was the case everyone would declare as a junior just to test the waters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly

May 8, 2019, 6:58 PM

Every major program in the country would be missing key pieces in the spring. If you declare for the draft you need to be gone if for no other reason than team chemistry. Aside from that the moment you declare you become a professional football player IMO. If you don’t make it in your profession then that’s on you.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You make a good point***

May 9, 2019, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Should undrafted Underclassmen be allowed to return? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

YES...but only if there is room on the roster

May 8, 2019, 3:53 PM

Signing day is in Feb...draft in april. Coaches fill their scholarships knowing who's leaving. If a roster fills up and a school is out of room then too bad...find another school

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 4:02 PM

Absolutely! I see no reason those young men shouldn’t be able return to play. It’s a “no harm no foul” situation.

We'll there is the problem of giving schollys

May 8, 2019, 4:22 PM

Based on who is leaving. Say you have 10 declare and 10 don't get drafted but you give 5 schollys away. Someone is screwed.

But I'm all for letting them know if they declare, there is no guarantee of coming back to same school. They can go somewhere else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely not! Every Junior would come out just to see,

May 8, 2019, 4:09 PM

leaving the school to wonder where it stands. If anything, rules should tighten to discourage players form entering the draft early.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I don't like the idea of placing more restrictions on the

May 9, 2019, 1:46 PM

players. It's their right to make the choice, even if it ends up being an incorrect one.

May 8, 2019, 4:13 PM

Only if their slot is still open, and the coach wants to renew their scholarship. In other words, that should be left totally up the HC!!!

May 8, 2019, 4:47 PM

No, but anyone that can keep Brent Venables off the field for years, should be rewarded with 15-20 plays a game.

that would end up being a nightmare for coaches if every

May 8, 2019, 4:15 PM

junior went missing from January to April. They'd miss spring practice, spring games, and recruiting would have alot of question marks during that stretch.

And would be missing from classes too

May 8, 2019, 4:31 PM

Which is an eligibility issue everywhere but the REAL Carolina

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.

May 8, 2019, 5:23 PM

And the reason should be obvious.

Re: No.

May 8, 2019, 6:48 PM

If they declare and their scholly is gone when they want to come back, then the transfer portal would break and Scottie would be pissed trying to fix it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

/\/\ This***

May 9, 2019, 3:55 PM [ in reply to No. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

May 9, 2019, 7:39 AM

My personal opinion is once you declare you are gone, but let me throw an idea out there. What if once you declare, if you go undrafted you can return but only on a partial (max 50%) scholly. This would still deter some on the fence.

May 9, 2019, 10:25 AM

I think once you say you are out, you are out regardless of the result. College coaches must be able to manage their roosters by knowing exactly how many open spots they have and at what positions so they can make them a priority when recruiting. If the system were to change, I think you would see it get out of control as agents would go into hyper drive offering bad advice to “potential” clients.

Would be a nightmare scenario

May 9, 2019, 10:34 AM

Especially for the lower ranked recruits in a class. If given the choice of one more year of a starting caliber player vs 4-5 of a guy who might turn into a starting caliber player after 2-3 years, almost all coaches are going to bump the scholarship from the incoming freshman to get the returning senior back on the team assuming there’s not character concerns etc. so then you’d have all these recruits who signed with schools that 2 months later told them they don’t have a spot and now probably all the other schools they were interested in would be full too so they either grayshirt or play way down for a year then transfer back up to their appropriate level.

Would cause chaos.

May 9, 2019, 10:44 AM

Aside from the scholarship issues that have been mentioned, another problem would be do you allow players who don't like their place in the draft to return as well.

It should not be a bad thing to get drafted in the 7th round.

If only undrafted players can return, then you are penalizing those who are drafted but not as high as expected.

If you allow anyone who doesn't like their place in the draft to return, then major changes would have to be made to the draft to allow teams to not lose one of their few draft picks.

Baseball can handle missing a pick because there are so many rounds, but in football if your 3rd rounder decided to return to school you are missing a huge piece of your draft class.

May 9, 2019, 10:54 AM

Absolutely not.

Every junior with a pulse would declare for the draft. Most sign with an agent. They'd have nothing to lose if they came back.

Yes and why!

May 9, 2019, 1:02 PM

Yes. They should be allowed to return. In the hypothetical situation you propose(don't think some people got that). It would be "OK" for a player to return as long as the school hasn't filled the void. Because, I agree, team chemistry would be affected. And outlook on projected starters, etc. If you thought you were good enough and went undrafted (as long as there is a roster spot) I don't see why not. You would not have signed with an agent. Most players who don't get drafted were not expected to go in the 1st round. Don't hire an agent just in case and to me: "there should be no problem if the team wants you back and has a spot for you"!

Question would be: if the team you played for didn't have a spot and you didn't get drafted - could you go play for another school? In this scenario of course. All hypothetical; so no wrong answers really!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2019, 7:51 PM

NO ___________NO ___________JMHO*

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic