Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should players be paid? Obviously...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Should players be paid? Obviously...

Apr 23, 2018, 3:55 PM

... this is a controversial question. I’ve heard some pretty convincing arguments from both sides. What says TNET?

What are the consequences of paying players? Increase talent gap between the top/mid/bottom tier? Close it? I could see cap limits, then you wouldn’t be as likely to land multiple major recruits in a class. A lot of interesting things to think about on this point.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should players be paid? Obviously...

Apr 23, 2018, 4:00 PM

They already are. My college education was not free.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 9:22 PM

I agree that they are already paid. I don’t know the percentages but I imagine a majority of CU non athlete graduates have student loans to pay for several years after graduation plus many work part time jobs as well. Of course workouts and practice offset part time jobs. Athletes get other perks other students don’t have also. Having said all that, I appreciate the athletes. I’m happy for them because many of them would not have the Clemson experience without football.

Just my two cents worth

The biggest perk for scholarship athletes is the

Apr 24, 2018, 10:44 AM

Fact they are in school at all.

Most would not even sniff acceptance at these schools.

Clemson just turned away thousands of academically qualified students while some other kids with 700 sat scores get free rides.

Typical modern day... it isn't about what I'm getting, I deserve more and more and more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Apr 23, 2018, 4:02 PM

They get over 100k worth of scholarships plus a stipend that is at least $400 per month. What more could they possibly want?

Plus they get treated like royalty on campus. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me

^^^this***

Apr 23, 2018, 6:10 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The get paid now imo.

Apr 23, 2018, 4:03 PM

Housing
Tutors
Food
Medical
Tuition
etc

I wonder what all of the adds up to over 3 to 5 years. Some of the players even get their masters.

Apr 23, 2018, 4:06 PM

I am no lawyer.. but can you imagine the cluster bomb that would go off if FOOTBALL players got a stipend and BASKETBALL players got a stipend..(MEN)...and baseball and (the biggie) WOMEN DID NOT get the same stipend...and most schools do not have the revenue flow.... I rest my case...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Title IX Wont let that happen

Apr 24, 2018, 12:11 PM

Under Title IX schools don't have the latitude to pay a stipend to some athletes but not others. Now if the school were to declare them "employees" there might be some flexibility but I don't see that happening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not? The return they give the school is fare greater than what they are given.

Apr 23, 2018, 4:08 PM

A full scholarship is a great start, but I’ve heard way too many stories of student athletes taking out loans to cover their basic living expenses. Additionally, the exposure Clemson receives from coverage of our football program is much greater than if we paid for it.

This isn’t a hill I’ll die on, but I’m for paying the kids.

Loans for what?

Apr 23, 2018, 4:17 PM

Don't they have everything covered and get a stipend as well? Also, do you pay all of the players equally? All sports? Does a school like Clemson pay players more than a San Jose State pays their players? How does it all work? I think they get paid as is. So they take out a small loan if needed. That's pretty normal for a oollege kid if they really need it.

Re: Why not? The return they give the school is fare greater than what they are given.

Apr 23, 2018, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Why not? The return they give the school is fare greater than what they are given. ]

Didn't you have to pay for your basic living expenses? How much of a loan did you have to get to pay your expenses during college? I know my daughter just finished college on a softball scholarship and still had to take out loans for over 50K to complete her degree and that's with her living off campus for the last 3 years. That by the way is not part of her student loans. If the football or basketball player wasn't playing what would he have to fork out to go to college including living expenses? It's well over 100K for 4 years of college with all expenses. That equates to well over 25K a year and they get to continue to pursue a chance to make it big in the sport they play. I'm betting that's a lot more than they would be getting had they not had the chance to go to college. If they want to complain let them live off what the junior military are living off of. I know first hand how many of our military are living on welfare because the pay is so bad. That and they actually do go into battle and risks their lives so the average American can sleep at night knowing they are free and safe.

Message was edited by: bloodrunsorange63®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The return they give the school is far greater

Apr 23, 2018, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Why not? The return they give the school is fare greater than what they are given. ]

than what they are given"

This may hold true for 3-4 players per yearr. Individually that wouldn't count their redshirt year right? And rarely would it include other years in the case where they are underclassmen and not significant contributors. Dang sure doesn't apply to the other 80+ kids on full scholarship.

Easy statement to make, but dig in and I don't think it holds true.

Watson for his entire tenure? I'll agree to that. The average player? Nah.

Re: Why not? The return they give the school is fare greater than what they are given.

Apr 23, 2018, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Why not? The return they give the school is fare greater than what they are given. ]

Yeah but Clemson is one of the few programs where this is the case.

Apr 24, 2018, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Why not? The return they give the school is fare greater than what they are given. ]

They take out student loans because they are suspended payments, then they go buy vehicles and pay for off campus housing. Otherwise they would not need any student loans. I know football players that have done that. Then they complain about student loans when out of school because they didn't make it to NFL and now have to live in real world

Do you pay them based on performance?

Apr 23, 2018, 4:15 PM

Do players get "raises" as their performance improves?

Do highly ranked recruits come in at a higher pay grade than veterans based on potential?

Or are we saying just give everyone the same stipend?

If so, then peak performers aren't going to be happy and 5-star recruits are still going to be seeking and getting offered money under the table by lots of programs.

It just gets too complicated and will still inevitably lead to escalation of bidding for top recruits and paying the great players more .... some how, some way.

I say *NO* to any kind of formal pay for players in college. See that they get a free education and that they don't "go hungry" or lack a roof over their heads and let that be it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you pay them based on performance?

Apr 23, 2018, 6:42 PM

That's the way it works in the business world. But it won't work in college football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Apr 23, 2018, 4:20 PM

So when do you start paying High School players that are 5 stars and packing the stadium?

Apr 23, 2018, 4:26 PM

One of the big benefits that no one speaks about and is not quantitative
is being accepted to a college. I think it is fair to say that probably 75%
of the kids on sports scholarships at Clemson would not get accepted otherwise.

I know my niece who was almost straight A and almost 1200 on the SAT
didn't get accepted.

That is worth a good bit by itself without all the other free room, food,
books, trainers, medical, tutors, and facilities.

Apr 23, 2018, 4:34 PM

They are being paid. Take the entire cost of the football program per year, personnel and facilities, and divide that by the number of players on the team. Add to that, lets say in state tuition, room and board. That's how much each player is being paid per year. Saban estimated about 3 years aga at UA that this figure was about $750k per the 4 years the average player was there, perhaps $200k per year now, what with his new toothpick guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They already get paid

Apr 23, 2018, 4:34 PM

a lot.

Apr 23, 2018, 4:35 PM

So if you pay your stars big money, does this mean the backups only get a partial scholarship? Is that fair to most of the team that are not big names, will not fill the stadium and probably not have an NFL career to pay for part of their education while the "stars" make extra money?

BTW, many other teams do not give full scholarships. The track team only has 12 scholarships per each team (men/woman). So most runners who get money only get partial scholarships or maybe just books.

Apr 23, 2018, 4:48 PM

No, in addition to what others have already said I would add:

1. College is an opportunity to prepare for your career. Research, internships, co-ops all benefit the university and companies more than the student. Additionally students are paid far less than market value for those skills (even less than football scholarships). Once they complete their training (graduate) they are usually paid more than had they not participated in these activities. College football is no different.

2. Royalties, TV money, etc. are not the responsibility of Universities. As it stands now high school players would not have the opportunity to show what they have to the NFL without colleges. If the players want to be paid, go another route and see how successful you are. If people feel this is unfair, then the NFL should take responsibility and provide another path.

null

Hello IRS***

Apr 23, 2018, 5:40 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hello IRS***

Apr 23, 2018, 5:57 PM

To elaborate, if paid a salary they become employees. At that point the value of all benefits would be considered compensation thus taxable

yes***

Apr 23, 2018, 5:59 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2018, 6:11 PM

Consequence of paying players? Maybe a bidding war to teenagers... Schools with old money like OU and Texas A&M, Alabama they'd be unstoppable. Smaller schools like Clemson wouldn't have the revenue flow to compete due to how many less Alumni/boosters we have.

Apr 23, 2018, 6:23 PM

Most schools can’t afford paying players except for the major conference teams and even some of those are questionable. Also 98% of players are being compensated correctly with a free education. Those 98 percent will never play in the NFL.

The other two percent are giving more back than their education pays for but you can’t just pay them and not pay the rest.

There for paying players is a bad argument

Apr 23, 2018, 9:43 PM

You can bet your bottom dollar if college athletes were paid, the price of tickets would skyrocket and many fans like you and I will say, "it ain't worth it". It would essentially become a minor pro league and lose the appeal as the old college game for students and alums. Each year there would be a salary increase due to increase in cost of living until the Athletic Department would have a budget in excess of the remainder of the university. I believe it would eventually lead to the demise of collegiate sports as we now know it.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Worst idea ever.

Apr 23, 2018, 10:06 PM

They already get paid a bundle if they are on scholarship. Academics for many athletes are already an inconvenient afterthought; paying them to play football will only push things farther in that direction, and it's the wrong direction. Do we really want a team that is "Clemson" in name only, comprised of people who have less and less in common with the general student population, and whose only real connection to the university is the uniform they wear? I think it would spell the end of college athletics, particularly football, as we know it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 23, 2018, 11:27 PM

TitleIX would make it prohibitively expensive. Then you’d probably have to pay anyone on any kind of scholarship. There are kids in the science labs that develop things that make the university lots of money too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Apr 24, 2018, 10:26 AM

If you want to pay players, ok that's fine. But if that's the case then take away scholarships and give them a dollar amount for what their tuition/room and board is worth.

Title IX makes things very tricky here because football and basketball are the only revenue generating sports in MAJOR Division 1. And by Title IX, if football players get paid then so would every other program all the way down to the Women's Soccer program. It's just not feasible nor is it justified.

No***

Apr 24, 2018, 10:40 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Apr 24, 2018, 10:46 AM

I think facilities would suffer but I’m sure the players would rather have money in their pocket than nicer facilities.

Depends on how the payments are structured that would determine the talent gap. If schools have to pay every player equally it won’t change anything. But if there is a cap limit and you can offer different amounts it would reduce the talent gap.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Get rid of special admittance policies.

Apr 24, 2018, 10:50 AM

Every 1 gets in to school under the same standards.

Then have tryouts from the student population.

Re: Get rid of special admittance policies.

Apr 24, 2018, 11:57 AM

That would be ideal for us :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic