Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question. Would schools that consistently sign full
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Serious question. Would schools that consistently sign full

Feb 3, 2017, 12:32 AM

classes have retained players like Kevin Dodd or Marcus Edmond or even Vic Beasley in order to see them bloom?

Or, said another way, would these players likely have stayed enrolled at other schools that seem to have enough room for full classes each year?

Dabo commented on how some players come in, ready to contribute right away. Others, he said...mature or develop at different rates. It just takes a little longer.

So you have a frosh 5-star stud. And you have a 23-yr old man who was grown/developed to realize a potential that gets him selected in the first/second round of the NFL draft. You know, a 6-star guy. Which one will win you more games? Which one is likely to be more focused, mature, and ready for the challenge? I still miss Kevin Dodd.

Edmond? We may not have won 2 games without him! Beasley? We couldn't figure out where to best play him, but once we did, WOW! Can you say super bowl bound?

Then there are guys who really never see the field much because they just couldn't break through or because of nagging injuries. But they do other things right, and they are part of the team...like Martin Aiken or Tyshon Dye or Justin Parker or even Tony Steward (who thankfully had some good times toward the end of his career).

Not to belabor the small class debate, but when you really personalize it and consider it at the individual level, you see the young men who enrich our team...who either are an inspiration due to injury or adversity...or who are a shining example of perseverance when they individually reach that top of the mountain.

You can't have it both ways, really. You can't have the fullness of rich team character when there is so much turnover. You also can't know what gem you well could have had if the turnover machine is in full grind mode.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question. Would schools that consistently sign full

Feb 3, 2017, 4:21 AM

Very well said. In the real world average employees may turn out to be gems if given time and training. The same with football at the college level. Again great post.

Our 9 member Senior class were members of a 22 member

Feb 3, 2017, 5:03 AM

signing class. For whatever reason, there is less than half the class left. How many will be left after our 14 member signing class? Who knows. Some will play and add to our 12 member freshman class. Some from next years class will play and be added to this small class and in 2019 we will be probably have a class close to 30 again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure that's right

Feb 3, 2017, 7:37 AM

2014 class had 21 (247s number), and 14 are still on he team.

of the 21- 1 never enrolled(Oglesby). 1 was booted almost

Feb 3, 2017, 8:09 AM

immediately (Priester). 3 transferred-- Rogers, Kitt, Gibson-- none of them were run off- believe 1 of those wanted to or may have given up FB entirely. 2 have already graduated and left for the NFL(Watson, Scott). 14 are still with the team- there may be 9 SRs but the rest would be RS JRs. So 16 of 21 or 16 of 20 - however you want to look at it, made it through. Compare that to the 50% most of these schools doing 25 every year get to make it all the way.

and I couldn't tell if he was talking about the 2013 or 2014

Feb 3, 2017, 8:35 AM

class-- he mentions 22 which is consistent with the 2013 but the 9 SRs I think correlates to the 2014 class-- seems to be mixing #s.

Team will have 9 5th year seniors and no 4th year seniors

Feb 3, 2017, 11:29 AM

So the OP must be talking about 2013. There were 6 players from that class that left for the NFL with eligibility remaining. 4 more that were seniors last year. I think Dye plans to graduate then transfer. That's 20 successful players. That leaves one transfer (Dane Rogers) and a dismissal (Ebenezer Ogundeko)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: of the 21- 1 never enrolled(Oglesby). 1 was booted almost

Feb 3, 2017, 8:47 AM [ in reply to of the 21- 1 never enrolled(Oglesby). 1 was booted almost ]

I was about to do this same breakdown. Biggest contributor is redshirting. It wasn't our fault that Oglesby didn't qualify and by choice went to Memphis instead of coming to us after prep school. Rogers quit football right when he was about to get playing time. Gibson would have been a contributor too I think. 17 of 21 that enrolled will most likely get degrees from Clemson University. If you include the 2013 and 2014 class together since they could technically be redshirt seniors still enrolled, only 7 of the 43 that actually enrolled at Clemson were not "successful" in our program. Which means 36 out of 43 either graduated, are still in school, in the NFL or graduated and in the NFL. Go Tigers!!

Re: Our 9 member Senior class were members of a 22 member

Feb 3, 2017, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Our 9 member Senior class were members of a 22 member ]

The quality of small classes can't be judged by team rankings because they are multiplied by quantity. Having an extra 5 3*s would have boosted our team ranking, but they would have red-shirted, then played sparingly for one or two years just to get them playing time, and half of them may have been productive as juniors and seniors, but most would not productive enough to just be in the way of someone else. Half the teams in the top 20 are cluttered with non productive recruits. Someone (maybe you) should rank teams by their top 10 recruits only.

Feb 3, 2017, 12:26 PM

I used 247 and looked at their ranking and this is what I came up with based on their top 10 recruits for each team.
The first number is 5 stars, 2nd is 4 star, and 3rd number listed is 3 star:

1 Alabama 6 4

2 Osu 5 5

3 Uga 2 8

4 Usc 2 8

5 Mich 2 8

6 Fsu 4 6

7 Lsu 1 9

8 Okla. 0 10

9 Auburn 1 9

10 Fla 0 10

16 Clemson 2 8

21 Usuck 0 4 6

If you look at only the top 10 for each team then we would be tied for 4th behind Bama, Osu and Fsu

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2017, 12:30 PM

If you used scout then we would not be top 10 maybe top 15.

Of the 22, 6 left for the NFL with eligibility remaining,

Feb 3, 2017, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Our 9 member Senior class were members of a 22 member ]

3 completed 4 years of eligibility and graduated, and 3 left the program early. So I look at it as only 3 didn't "make it". Not a bad ratio.

Actually just 2 - Rogers and Ogundeko I think.

Feb 3, 2017, 8:33 AM

If you were counting Priester, he came in with the 2014 class. Was dismissed but the dink would be against the 2014 class not 2013. Can't dink both classes for the same player.

you go girl.... this post is the essence of what is wrong

Feb 3, 2017, 8:24 AM

at USuCk

and what is right with Dabo.

and while a lot of Tiger Nation would agree with it theoretically,

not many would have the cojones to execute it in reality.

it's what makes our coach truly special....

and far and above a better human being than 95% of his fanbase.

Re: Gallman was supposed to be someone's LB

Feb 3, 2017, 10:55 AM

In Dabo I trust.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 point for using Belabor***

Feb 3, 2017, 11:02 AM

Feb 3, 2017, 11:06 AM

Don't forget those walk-ons, especially the ones that make the winning catch for a TD in the National Championship Game against an undefeated Alabama team. :)

It's also difficult to accurately describe the impact that

Feb 3, 2017, 11:11 AM

having older, seasoned kids in the program has on each successive wave of incoming recruits. Through the retention we're seeing, there's a solid base of "player coaches" in the locker room, in film room, in the weight room, on the sidelines, etc. that help the newbies understand what it takes to live up to the standard. "Best" isn't just the coaches' standard anymore either, it's become the players' standard, and sometimes the best way to fully understand that, and what it takes, is from your peers, not your coaches. To me this has been Dabo and Company's secret sauce when it comes to getting more from the whole than simply the sum of its parts.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2017, 11:45 AM

Great post. Totally agree. Player development is one of our program's most underrated differentiators. We do this as well as any other team and far better than most. The other elite programs keep oversigining 5* guys because it's easier & quicker. Dabo & our staff go find talented guys who they can coach. Divas don't make the cut - 5* or not. Ask that clown Swag - he was all in - about himself. Hit the bricks & go pound sand. If we keep doing what we do, bringing in good character kids & coaching them up - we will build upon the greatness that we've already achieved. I love Clemson football. And I pray every day that our fan base always appreciates what we have here. Ask any other knowledgeable college football fan in the country & if they were truly honest with themselves, they would gladly take everything Clemson has right now.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic