Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is our bubble screen game so bad?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Why is our bubble screen game so bad?

Sep 15, 2018, 6:17 PM

It pretty much is and has always been a staple play in our offense. It was bad last year, but it's been even worst this year. The INT today happened because Galloway didn't block the proper guy, but even in other games it's been a negative play for us more often than a positive.

I think part of the problem is that KB2 has a slow release because of his elongated throwing motion, which gives DBs and LBs additional time diagnosis the play. It seems to work a little better with Trevor, but the results still aren't great. Unfortunately Elliott likes to call that play frequently even though we don't do a very good job with it. I'd almost like to see us completely eliminate it from our offense when Kelly is on the field.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a coach

Sep 15, 2018, 6:19 PM

But it looks like a combo of slow snaps, slow throws, and blocking that is not as strong.

Plus so many of our plays go to the wide part of the field, so defenses might be playing tighter out there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not a coach

Sep 15, 2018, 6:39 PM

I’d ditto that response. The success of the play is highly dependent on disguise, execution, and timing. Speed is most critical in order for it to be productive else defenders close on the receiver far too fast to make it productive.

Also, in my view our extensive use of it is something opposing defenses reflexively prepare for now.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not a coach

Sep 15, 2018, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Not a coach ]

I’d ditto that response. The success of the play is highly dependent on disguise, execution, and timing. Speed is most critical in order for it to be productive else defenders close on the receiver far too fast to make it productive.

Also, in my view our extensive use of it is something opposing defenses reflexively prepare for now.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is our bubble screen game so bad?

Sep 15, 2018, 6:19 PM

Why do we bother with it? I mean seriously

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2018, 6:28 PM

Its just a bad play period. You chance an interception, the defensive player is coming full bore which could cause an injury, you usually gain only 2-4 yards or you could lose 2-4 yards and it seldom works.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You run it for same reason people used to run fullback

Sep 15, 2018, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is our bubble screen game so bad? ]

up the middle. It keeps defense honest. Just like fullback dive, hardly ever gains more than 3 yards, but you have to respect it or get burned.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That, plus, Deon Cain in the National Championship

Sep 15, 2018, 6:40 PM

if it's blocked and timed right, it can just a game open

Re: You run it for same reason people used to run fullback

Sep 15, 2018, 6:41 PM [ in reply to You run it for same reason people used to run fullback ]

bad decsion to throw it today. obviously shut down. rifle it over their head and come back next down

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like most people that watch football could understand

Sep 4, 2022, 8:16 PM [ in reply to You run it for same reason people used to run fullback ]

something that simple.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The interception happened because TL didn't...

Sep 15, 2018, 6:41 PM

check out the coverage before he let the ball go. KB did the same thing and nearly got picked. Sometimes plays blow up. Chit happens but you can't add insult to injury by throwing a ball you should eat to throw away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thought Dabo said freshman TE did not block properly***

Sep 15, 2018, 6:59 PM

Sep 15, 2018, 7:07 PM

Maybe because there is 10
Years of film to study from the CU offense?

Sep 15, 2018, 7:08 PM

It’s not working because it’s predictable

We've probably run the play 10 times or so this yr thus far

Sep 15, 2018, 8:09 PM

Ross scored his first TD one, but I think the other nine times we've had either had a minimal gain, loss yardage, WRs have gotten blown up, or today a INT.

Sep 15, 2018, 8:19 PM

It only works when the db's can't read it before the ball is released. It needs a quick move like a pitcher trying to pick off a runner at 1st. It can be an effective way of drawing their cb's in tighter when they are leaving a big cushion, but the way we do it right now is not working.

Maybe against Alabama

Sep 15, 2018, 8:42 PM

we will finally fake that throw and hit a releasing receiver deep.

I just think it’s too predictable, everyone plays tight on

Sep 15, 2018, 8:51 PM

Our WRs anyway bc we run the ball with the qb so much. That’s why the play action pass was so open the 5 times we called it.

We start going down the field more that stuff will open back up.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic