Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on the new “Steal First Base” rule ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Thoughts on the new “Steal First Base” rule ?

Jul 15, 2019, 11:11 AM

Apparently there is a new rule this year (minor league) that a batter may steal first base on a passed ball.

What do you think ?

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/atlantic-league-stealing-first-base-tony-thomas

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on the new “Steal First Base” rule ?

Jul 15, 2019, 11:22 AM

I heard that this a.m. I wish they would leave some things alone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it is a great idea. I hope the test is successful.***

Jul 15, 2019, 11:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My wife thinks that if you hit a fly ball and reach first

Jul 15, 2019, 12:02 PM

base before it is caught, you should be safe.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's a stupid change.***

Jul 15, 2019, 2:28 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the passed ball occurs on the 3rd strike then I'm

Jul 15, 2019, 3:49 PM

totally down with that. Same for advancing to 1st on a wild pitch on strike 3. Any earlier in the strike count then no way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, it removes one more cliche from the

Jul 15, 2019, 3:55 PM

Lexicon of baseball broadcasters, so that's a plus! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate that rule. Batter advances without making contact.***

Jul 15, 2019, 8:37 PM [ in reply to If the passed ball occurs on the 3rd strike then I'm ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. Runners steal bases, not batters. The 3rd strike

Jul 15, 2019, 8:48 PM

rule on those has been around forever though, called or swinging, which seems to be a fair enough way to work that out. Kind of a get out of jail free card if you can beat it out for a batter getting rung up. But anywhere in the count - that's not natural. Too many baserunners and long, high scoring games ahead under that format.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 5:23 PM

Enough with the wacky rule changes in an effort to garner more interest. If you don’t like baseball then go play something else, but leave my game alone ! I wonder how traditional golf nuts would appreciate baseball fans modifying their rules in an attempt to make that game more appealing to their own taste ?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2019, 7:33 PM

A new change I propose for golf: If a shot hits a tree and ends up in the fairway or on the green, then 1 stroke should be subtracted from the final score made on the hole.

Believe me, I've hit enough trees that getting a stroke or 2 back from the many, many that stayed in the woods, would be a good thing.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems a bit too easy. That guy waited a couple seconds

Jul 15, 2019, 5:55 PM

to take off and still made it easily. Seems like a pretty large % of passed balls / wild pitches will result in a runner getting on now.

Re: Seems a bit too easy. That guy waited a couple seconds

Jul 20, 2019, 6:36 PM

too negative of a change and will only make the game longer. Hitters have enough of an advantage today with not being able to throw inside, hitters wearing all types of protection and baseballs being wound tighter and a more centered core ... do away with the rule.

Re: Seems a bit too easy. That guy waited a couple seconds

Jul 21, 2019, 6:20 AM

I dont like this experiment on the rule. Each ballpark could have a different result. At DK stadium, the hard wall behind the catcher often has the ball bouncing off the wall into the infield. Clemson could put soft padding back there and alter the impact depending on what type of reaction they preferred. Hope this never makes it into the rules. In some games that could be and extra 5 to 10 runners with a free pass.

Jul 21, 2019, 5:17 PM

First off, it's experimental. I doubt we will ever see this rule instituted in leagues where it will make a significant impact.

Second, if it does start to make a difference, I'm sure it will be adjusted. In this case, the batter had no intention of going to first until he saw the ball had become inaccessible to the catcher. If the rule gives an umpire any latitude, he should have ruled that the batter made no attempt at advance prior to the dead ball, so advance was not allowed. But I'm guessing he didn't want to create controversy over a rule no one has ever implemented.

Third, some say it rewards a batter who hasn't earned it. I say it penalizes a battery who is poor or lackadaisical defensively. Obviously we'll never see this play out in youth leagues. It's a better way to create more baserunners than changing the height of the mound again, and i doubt in any professional league it will ever exceed an average of one extra runner per game.

So I'm ok with it.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic