Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Since When Has College Football Been Fair!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Since When Has College Football Been Fair!

Oct 20, 2019, 9:10 PM

Those SEC heads are already talking about getting two teams in. Already laying the foundation for it today. Why? Clemson would not have given up 38 points to offensive challenged Vanderbilt.

Going back to the days of "voted on champions" college football has never been fair SEC. Back in the day all you could see on TV was Notre Dame - so naturally they got the best talent from across the country. It wasn't fair: but they took advantage.
Off Topic: they don't care a lick what HillRockTiger thinks I know that - but I really don't acknowledge those old titles some of the so called blue bloods have. They won it out of winning the propaganda war. And they probably had a good football team; but were voted - not proved - they were the best! Was that fair?
Was it fair to Auburn the year they went undefeated in the vaunted SEC and had no chance at the title? No.
Was it fair to the #3, #4 or #5 team during the BCS era to not even have an opportunity? No.

Is it fair to the group of 5 who have to spend real money in order to have football teams - to really not have a realistic shot at ever getting it? No.
Is it fair that over the last 6 - 8 years there are really only 8 teams who have a realistic shot at winning it all? No.
Is it fair the same schools get the best players? No. ( Well yes b/c they sell their brand but you get my drift).

SEC heads and media types hating on Clemson: "know your history"! If it has been agreed on that out of the ACC, Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12 and SEC: "the champion" unless they have multiple losses or a loss that places them behind another non-champion - goes to the playoffs. In the event all 5 conference champs are undefeated - whoever is #5 is just "A'sd out"!

So -- this is nothing new for college football. Only now - it has been agreed on paper that the teams would be picked using before said criteria. So, saddle up LSU and Bama and win the SEC and you won't have to worry about it.

Same thing for each champion from each conference. Currently there are at least 1 undefeated team in 4 of the 5 P5 conferences. If it ends that way - that's your playoff.

***Note: the CFPC might even have CU out on 1st vote; but after the championship games have been completed will include the Tigers assuming we win out.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since When Has College Football Been Fair!

Oct 21, 2019, 8:23 AM

"Was it fair to the #3, #4 or #5 team during the BCS era to not even have an opportunity? No."

Say what you want about the BCS, but if you look at the numbers during the BCS era, I think there was only one time where #3 was anywhere close to #1 and #2. #3, #4, #5 all had a chance to be #1 or #2 but didn't get there. Just like today where #5, #6, #7 all have a chance to be in the top 4, but don't get there.

The BCS was lots better than the voted-on champs, even if the BCS teams got their by being voted on (just like the CFP does today).

I am not in favor of expanding from 4 to 8. I could MAYBE see 6, with 1,2 getting byes. OTOH, they'll try to figure out how to put 3 SEC teams into a 6-team playoff, and 4 SEC teams into an 8-team playoff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 12:33 PM

mpercy® said:

"Was it fair to the #3, #4 or #5 team during the BCS era to not even have an opportunity? No."

Say what you want about the BCS, but if you look at the numbers during the BCS era, I think there was only one time where #3 was anywhere close to #1 and #2. #3, #4, #5 all had a chance to be #1 or #2 but didn't get there. Just like today where #5, #6, #7 all have a chance to be in the top 4, but don't get there.

The BCS was lots better than the voted-on champs, even if the BCS teams got their by being voted on (just like the CFP does today).

I am not in favor of expanding from 4 to 8. I could MAYBE see 6, with 1,2 getting byes. OTOH, they'll try to figure out how to put 3 SEC teams into a 6-team playoff, and 4 SEC teams into an 8-team playoff.

Imagine then if you had a BCS this year! Or better yet; last year! It would have been Georgia and Alabama all over again in the BCS title game. No one would have thought Clemson from the "lowly ACC" could stay on the same field with a team some were calling "the greatest college team ever"!

I had a fella this morning swear politics would prevent CU from going to the playoff. I informed him "not if they are undefeated"! To which he responded, "but, what if the committee thinks another team is better"! I told him, "basically, it doesn't matter. All 5 conferences agreed to the terms so BAM"!

He walked off still shaking his head in sarcastic disagreement! He's another spoon-fed ESPN knowledge fan. Of course you are going to think nothing can touch the SEC when you are told that over and over every week! Unless you have enough mental capacity to stop and think for a second for yourself of course!
I am glad they all agreed and it's not as much up to "perception now"! But any team that is in the Power 5 that goes undefeated deserves to be a representative for those teams in the playoff.

Anybody know how many times two teams from the same conference played each other for a National Championship?
That's literally what SEC homers are basically asking for. To ignore other conferences teams b/c their teams are so good. Okay, San Jose St. Wyoming, Georgia St. I'm missing a few oh N. Carolina who isn't even .500 in the ACC. They ought to stop!

Oct 21, 2019, 6:07 PM

Well, this season is far from over for anyone, so I'm not going to predict how it would shake out when so many top teams still have to play each other.

But last year Alabama was #1 and Clemson was #2 in the final Coaches poll AND the AP poll (before the
playoffs). Chances are those two teams would be #1 and #2 under the BCS scoring system and would have played and NOT Bama and Georgia. So the BCS system last year would most likely have produced the same championship game.

I get the point, and the CFP is "better" in that sense since it dilutes the bias just a bit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See Link Below About Playoffs

Oct 21, 2019, 6:28 PM

So - follow this link.

It was Georgia, Oklahoma, Clemson and Bama! The only reason Bama got in was b/c Wisconsin did one of their classic "badgering" in the Big 10 championship game. Otherwise, it would have been Wisconsin.

Note: Clemson with 1 loss was 1st. Oklahoma was 2nd. Followed by the two SEC schools.
I would have liked our chances against that Oklahoma team!

But, you already said it. The point is: through the years college football has had many teams between 3 - 5 who could make a claim for being #1 if given the opportunity.
Now a day there is "more opportunity" than there has ever been. A SEC team not making it b/c they didn't win their conference need to go ask Auburn about what it feels like. It's happened before 2004 and a SEC school didn't get a chance b/c of the system.

The current system has been signed off on by them!(SEC brass).

Yup. And to quote my dad after I'm sure that

Oct 21, 2019, 8:26 AM

I whined about something.....

"Life ain't fair, son"

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

P. Finebaum Just Said

Oct 21, 2019, 6:54 PM

The biggest SEC homer on the planet next to Mcelroy just said - "I don't see a scenario where Clemson misses the playoffs"! - P. Finebaum.

He said, " I think Trevor Lawrence is bored and just going through the motions and won't really see his best until he face better competition"! - P. Finebaum.

I dislike this dude - but this time he actually spoke like he had some sense.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic