Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scam email from hack on Tigernet?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Scam email from hack on Tigernet?

Nov 13, 2018, 5:40 PM

I got a scam email sent to me today. They send it as though it is from my own email, and claim they have taken over my computer and know all the sites I've visited and will send it all out to everyone in my contacts unless I pay them $800 in bitcoin.

As evidence, it gives my password. And, scarily, it is my tigernet password. I just changed it, it had been the same since I joined in '03, I think.

But, I looked up about this scam, and its just a scam, not real. Or so I've read, the password info is mostly from old website hacks.

I post this here because it used my tigernet password, so perhaps tigernet got hacked at some point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Send them this.

Nov 13, 2018, 5:44 PM

In your friendly reply.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Herr Gould's class was sehr gut.

Nov 13, 2018, 5:46 PM

ya?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Scam email from hack on Tigernet?

Nov 13, 2018, 5:50 PM

I had the same thing happen to me as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My guess is that it came from one of those sites

Nov 13, 2018, 5:53 PM

that you visited that you don't want people on your contacts list to know you visited.

I got same email and they had my TNet password

Nov 13, 2018, 7:34 PM

I’m thinking BMiest may have visited some unsavory websites and they cracked his code ??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: Scam email from hack on Tigernet?

Nov 13, 2018, 8:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I've never had bitcoins, are they 1/8th of a dollar ? 2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, a dollar.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I got the same email about a month ago...

Nov 13, 2018, 8:39 PM

the subject line of the email actually had my password in it. That was a little odd and it certainly got my attention.
In the email text the scammer also asked for Bitcoin (I can't remember how much, but $800 seems about right - it wasn't cheap, but it also wasn't unreachable). They threatened to send to my list of email contacts video taken with my webcam of me watching adult sites. Yeah... OK.
I hit the ol' "shift+delete" and never thought anything else about it, but it was a little odd that they did actually have one of my real passwords. It's a low-security PW that I use for sites that require a password but that don't keep any sensitive personal information.
Thanks for posting....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic