Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe one of you tneters can answer this for me...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,248

Maybe one of you tneters can answer this for me...

Aug 26, 2016, 8:04 AM

Why does American college football play in other continents? Is it marketing for the school? Conference? what I don't understand?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe one of you tneters can answer this for me...

Aug 26, 2016, 8:19 AM

recruiting? :)

Not sure unless they are wanting to expand the market. I'm not a fan of it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2016, 8:24 AM

yep.. i don't get it either. i hope clemson never does that, though i know they did once with duke in japan. no one's flying to that far to watch a game (at least i wouldn't) and those people over there couldn't care less about american football. makes no sense to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2016, 8:29 AM

They do it for the big paycheck. Dabo has already said he would be interested in a game in Europe to start the season.

Aug 26, 2016, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Maybe one of you tneters can answer this for me... ]

Actually, it was Wake Forest we played in Japan, and we struggled in that game even though we had an excellent team and Wake was awful.

You may be thinking of the time we bought a home game away from Duke and played them at Clemson. I guess that wouldn't be allowed now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2016, 9:17 AM

Wake in 82 and Duke in 91. Both in Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Classic_(college_football)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Aug 26, 2016, 9:18 AM

Thanks, I guess I had forgotten that we played over there twice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same Reason the NFL Does It

Aug 26, 2016, 8:51 AM

There is a growing following of American football outside the US, albeit still very small. In England, for example there is a strong push, with lots of money, to bring an NFL franchise to London. Don't know if this will ever happen or not.
It's all a part of marketing the sport and the brand. You can bet there's money behind it somewhere as well. Now, why Cal and Hawaii would be playing in Australia, there must be some big alum with lots of money and a passion to do this. We have had a few Aussies in American Football so maybe it's one of them?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Colin Scotts

Aug 26, 2016, 9:00 AM

He was the first Australian to earn a scholarship to a US college and played for U of Hawaii in 1983. He is now the "official ambassador" for gridiron, as they call it, in Australia.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 26, 2016, 8:56 AM

$$$$$.

Always $$$$$.

College is about expanding your mind and cultural awareness

Aug 26, 2016, 8:57 AM

What better way to do that than send your spots team to other countries. It also gives your fans/alum and students a chance to travel abroad as well.

They can support their team as well as expand their cultural knowledge.

Just my 2 cents

American Football is actually becoming pretty

Aug 26, 2016, 9:37 AM

popular in Australia. They call it "gridiron."

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,248
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic