Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Saban Days
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Saban Days

Jul 13, 2019, 6:46 AM

So who's looking forward to watching Saban Days on College Football Live next week? ESPN will have four glorious days to talk about Nick Saban. Of course, their contract will require them to occasionally speak to other SEC coaches. But setting aside these brief discussions, it will be all-Saban, all-the-time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saban Days

Jul 13, 2019, 7:46 AM

Tim317 said:

So who's looking forward to watching Saban Days on College Football Live next week? ESPN will have four glorious days to talk about Nick Saban. Of course, their contract will require them to occasionally speak to other SEC coaches. But setting aside these brief discussions, it will be all-Saban, all-the-time.

I'm curious to see what kind of shape Saban is in. He just had his hip replaced and people do not tend to spring lightly up from that and go jogging back into action immediately afterward. Then again, he was clearly in a lot of pain, and that does take it out of you...if he's gotten some relief, maybe he'll be more like young Saban. Curious to see.

This is especially significant, IMHO, because Nick's on a truncated timetable. Especially on defense, Saban runs a really complicated pattern-match defensive scheme that is very complicated to both coach and teach, and it really showed up against Clemson when we ran some overloads on them. They just simply couldn't adjust...and the reason for that, I think, was that the high rate of early defection to the NFL and the incessant turnover on his staff meant that neither his players nor his coaches really understood his defensive schemes as well as they had in the past. We had stuff they hadn't seen before...and they just had no answers on their hard drives.

I'm eyeing that with particular interest this year...because they lost another swarm of LB's and DB's in their back seven to early NFL entry, and oh yeah, because they lost another seven coaches in the offseason, including (again) their defensive coordinator. Which means, once again, Saban is going to have to coach all his concepts all over again to a whole new bunch of coaches. (Who he will of course have to replace in early January again this year as well, because, well, Saban.)

If he's physically limited, there could be some major issues. Or he could be rejuvenated. I think how cranky and cantankerous he is at media days could be a big indicator. Saban's never been pleasant to the media, but if he's feeling vulnerable and is especially savage...well. We'll see.

Jul 13, 2019, 7:54 AM

Nick was back at work on day 2,,,,it was all over the news down here in Alabama. The funny thing is after 58 years living here as a tiger fan, all my bamajim1 and auburn fans want to talk Dabo, not Nick.

Nothing worse than being praised by an All-barn fan

Jul 13, 2019, 11:56 AM

hey Auburn, we are your daddy too

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2019, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Saban Days ]

Nick was back at work on day 2,,,,it was all over the news down here in Alabama. The funny thing is after 58 years living here as a tiger fan, all my bama
and auburn fans want to talk Dabo, not Nick.

Jul 13, 2019, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Saban Days ]

yes, this!

Outstanding insight and comments. It a great week to watch Sabin's mannerisms.

PS: He looked lost on the sideline during the Game. I wonder if he had lots of physical pain from the hip.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2019, 11:16 AM

His pain was from the rear kicking the Tigers were giving them. I have a feeling that Clemson will be retiring another top coach in the near future.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saban Days- sadly they never found a donor

Jul 13, 2019, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Saban Days ]

for a personality transfusion so once again he will have to go another season without one

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It didn’t have to be new stuff. We ran “copy cat plays”

Jul 13, 2019, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Saban Days ]

But still, they had no answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

When Saban said that about copy cat plays he was trashing

Jul 13, 2019, 12:00 PM

his own staff for not recognizing it and being able to stop it. As in they were running copycat plays (which all opposing teams will try to make sure the D had been fixed) and we could not stop them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2019, 9:47 AM

not interested!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After all, everyone knows, SEC stands for

Jul 13, 2019, 11:50 AM

Saban's Elephant Chronicles.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic