Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC Ponderings regarding who plays in the SECCG-long
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

SEC Ponderings regarding who plays in the SECCG-long

Oct 21, 2018, 9:16 PM

I find this interesting:
SEC Least
- UK, yes UK is in charge of their own destiny. Win out (Mizzou, UGA, UT) and they win the SEC Least. UGA would have 2 losses and UK beat UF earlier, so I assume that's how their division winner is decided.
- UF must win out and UK has to lose another conference game out of (Mizzou, UGA, UT) for UF to win the SEC Least.
- UGA must beat UK and UF, but could lose to Auburn and still win the SEC Least since UF and UK would have 2 conference losses and UGA would have beaten UF and UK.
**These are the only 3 teams that have a chance to win the SEC Least.

SEC West
- Bama is in charge of their own destiny. Win out (LSU, MSU, AU) and they win the SEC West. They are the only undefeated West team.
- LSU is in charge of their own destiny. Win out (Bama, Arky, TAMU) and they win the SEC West. They would own the TB against Bama.
- TAMU will need some help, as Bama owns the TB against them, so Bama would need to lose 2 of (LSU, MSU, AU) and they would need to win out, beating (MSU, MISS, AU, LSU).
**These are the only 3 teams still have a chance to win the SEC West.

Be aware that:
- if LSU wins out, and LSU wins the SECCG, then it is very likely that we will have a similar scenario as last year where LSU and Bama will be in the CFP.
- if Bama wins out and the SEC Least winner beats Bama in the CFP, then the same thing will happen. UGA, UK, or UF would be in the CFP and Bama with only 1 loss would also be in.

Sad, but true, as we have all had to endure the extreme bias of that committee (ok - that's JMO).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC Ponderings regarding who plays in the SECCG-long

Oct 21, 2018, 9:24 PM

I didn’t see the scenario where USuCk wins the East. How’s that work?

Oct 21, 2018, 9:27 PM

The following football programs must shut down before Dec 1:

-UK
-UF
-UGA
-UT
-Mizzou
-Vandy

Oct 21, 2018, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC Ponderings regarding who plays in the SECCG-long ]

Perhaps the earth could crack open and swallow the entire campuses of all the other SEC LEast schools and all their players, students and stadiums, save only Vandy and USuck.

And the only maybe.

Agree with everything except Bama and LSU going to the

Oct 21, 2018, 9:25 PM

Playoff.

IF we get two SEC teams this year and Bama is one the other will have to be a 1-loss UGA or Florida team that beat LSU in the SECCG. If Auburn had won the SEC last year, Bama wouldn't have gotten in. They'd take two teams from the same conference but not the same division IMO.

EDIT: Meant "Agree with everything"

Message was edited by: acevans®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disagree with everything except Bama and LSU going to the

Oct 21, 2018, 9:30 PM

Per what the pundits declared last year, the committee wants the "4 best teams", regardless of where they come from. Maybe I misunderstood what they meant, but I see your point.

Anyone have any rulings on how that works?

Yeah the problem is there are no "rulings"--they literally

Oct 21, 2018, 9:39 PM

make up everything as they go along and their criteria are a moving target with certain things being important until they aren't. They set precedents every year and break them the next.

They acted like you couldn't drop in the rankings for winning but TCU and Baylor both fell below OSU the last weekend of the season in 2014 and they said it was because OSU won their conference and Baylor/TCU both split their title.

So then conference titles and head-to-head were supposedly going to be important, then they let OSU in over a Penn St team that beat them head-to-head AND won their conference in 2016.

Then, despite the fact that division and conference titles are still explicitly in their criteria, they let a Bama team go last year that didn't win either.

It's a total moving target.

Logically, LSU and Bama shouldn't both be able to go but who knows what they'll do behind closed doors.

Re: Disagree with everything except Bama and LSU going to the

Oct 21, 2018, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Agree with everything except Bama and LSU going to the ]

^^Also, don't forget about Kentucky, they are the lead dog in that hunt right now.

Kentucky is in the driver's seat but I think they'll lose at

Oct 21, 2018, 9:41 PM

least one more game.

Oct 21, 2018, 9:30 PM

Don't care about SEC.

Clemson > Anybody in SEC

Oct 21, 2018, 9:32 PM

We would have had to beat TWO SEC teams last year to win the NC, so I worry about them. :)

Oct 21, 2018, 9:31 PM

Pretty much sums it up. Good news is that we control our destiny, even with the Notre Dame situation and potentially 2 sec teams. The PAC 12 done, Big 12 on thin ice. It would be a hard sell to put in a Big 10 champ over an undefeated Clemson who has been in the CFP the last 3 years ( even with the weak ACC), the big 10 has been exposed lately to be pretty weak as well.

However, even though the scenario is possible, I don't expect 2 SEC teams in the playoff. That's all dependent on Alabama losing a game. LSU at home may slow them down a little bit on offense, but they just don't have the fire power on offense to contend with them(nor does anyone else on their schedule)

Oct 21, 2018, 9:38 PM

Agreed. If Bama wins out and wins the SECCG, then there is virtually NO HOPE of having 2 SEC teams in the CFP, as every other SEC team would have at least 2 losses (and the committee won't accept those with 2 losses as I understand it).

Oct 21, 2018, 11:10 PM

I will simplify it for you. UGA vs Bama.

Oct 22, 2018, 6:18 AM

Alabama vs Eastern Midget U

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic