Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SCHSL classifications (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

SCHSL classifications (long)

Aug 18, 2018, 2:54 PM

My question is should the SCHSL classify high school teams by roster size or by school enrollment? I attended the game last night between 3a-Liberty and 4a-Daniel. At the 3a level Liberty dressed out 21 players. Daniel dressed out just over 40. Liberty had approx 8 players that played every snap. It was good football for 2 qts. The final was 38-0 in favor of Daniel. Is there a better way to ensure a better and safer product. With a school of 600 to 700 it is not a guarantee of participation. My suggestion is to classify the schools by active roster size. A little harder to manage, but I believe a huge gain. Thoughts??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SCHSL classifications (long)

Aug 18, 2018, 3:12 PM

I think this is a very interesting question. My kids participate in a sport where all of the high schools practice together. Same coach, same location, same training program. Yet the schools are mixed 3A-5A. So the standards for state qualifications are different based on school size even though they're all doing the same exact thing. I hope that made sense. In our case and what you've mentioned I think roster size is appropriate. However, I keep telling them it will only make them better to compete with all of the competition that is out there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2018, 7:58 PM

What do they do? Never heard of that before?

Aug 18, 2018, 8:23 PM

South Carolina uses the number of students enrolled in the school to determine the classification they play sports in. School has 1500 students, but only 40 participate in football would be in same league as school with 1400 students and 70 participating. It should be by average of students that participate in that sport. My opinion? ?

Absolutely not!

Aug 18, 2018, 10:43 PM

The larger schools would simply cut players or strongly encourage would be players not to come out. Let Dorman or rock hill pick 20 to 25 of their best athletes and they would kill the smaller schools who legitimately only had 25 athletes. It's not the schsl fault that a 3a school only has 20 something people come out for football. It's the schools problem for not promoting athletic participation.

Re: Absolutely not!

Aug 19, 2018, 12:58 AM

The Dorman and Rock Hill's of the world are already skirting the rules with the "recruiting " that goes on. The cheating as I call it is gonna happen anyway. The penalties should be stronger. I'm telling you that sitting in the stands at high school football games in this state has gotten bad. The level of play and competition is really bad. Some communities are rural and the kids work and are not interested. You are missing the point. We these schools drop the programs the "Dorman's" won't have anyone to play. Look around the state at the declining numbers for football.

Aug 18, 2018, 3:37 PM

With classifications by enrollment size, schools will compete with other schools with similar enrollment once region play begins. The problem is, the first five games have got to be filled by non-region/conference games. This is the reason you have some crossover classification games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2018, 4:04 PM

Yes. But the problem is even in region games some schools have low interest. West-oak for instance had about 20 players last year as a 3a school. I believe the spring practice enrollment average for the previous 3 seasons should dictate classification. With a 10 to 15% program growth allowed. The sport of football that we all love is slowly dieing. Local recreation departments are seeing lower participation today. I feel that more evenly numbered rosters would lead to more competitive and a safer game. Just a thought I had last night while at a local game. I no longer have sons that play. I'm just a fan.

Aug 18, 2018, 4:07 PM

Sometimes it’s a talent issue as well, because you may find a few high schools with 300-500 less kids than surrounding schools but still compete. At least that’s what I know because I graduated from South Pointe in rock hill and obviously we are THE powerhouse in the state but are the smallest high school in the city easily. Sometimes wish they’d zone based on talent you know?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2018, 4:13 PM

Would a chance of success build interest? A program building approach? Last night the starting 11 on defense for liberty was stout. But the body breaks down. Depth is more of an issue than talent in most cases. Im not sure of how to fix things. I know in 5 years some programs will be finished if we sit and do nothing.

It is done correctly by school size.

Aug 18, 2018, 4:30 PM

However, private schools in public leagues should be adjusted because of a much larger area to draw athletes from - a full county.

Do you want Daniel to dress their best 21, what about 11?

Football teams would look like cross-country teams after awhile.

It isn't Daniel's fault so few people go out for football at Liberty.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: It is done correctly by school size.

Aug 18, 2018, 4:55 PM

You missed the point. I'm looking out for the better of the entire sport. No team agenda. I want good foitball. Daniel is gonna struggle with their 42 players in 4a. They are more suited for true 3a. 35 to 50 players is a,3a in my opinion. 20 to 35 is 2a. Below 20 is 1a.

Aug 18, 2018, 4:59 PM

Go to Lamar, Latta, Lake View or Carvers Bay and tell the kids that.

It's public high school. It is done properly in my opinion.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 18, 2018, 5:02 PM

Ok. It's not gonna matter in 5 years anyway. I guess we will all watch soccer! High school football is broken and needs to be looked,at.

Aug 18, 2018, 8:30 PM

Our HS should be AAA but is classified as AAAAA because they count the adjoining arts school in our total enrollment. Honestly, the dance and theatre kids add nothing to our football program.

Might make sense, except they'd be changing divisions every

Aug 18, 2018, 10:33 PM

season.

Aug 19, 2018, 1:15 AM

I coached in the SCHSL for over 20 years. The schools are divided on the 135 day enrollment totals. The biggest 48 5-AAAAA the next 48 is 4AAAA the next are 3AAA, next 48 2AA, the rest are 1A. This changes every 2 years with re-alignment!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2018, 1:24 AM

I understand that. That's my point or opinion. I don't believe school enrollment is the way to classify. It would be more difficult but doable. If a school has 1000 students but only 38 football players should they be in a region playing teams with 60+ players. The game and interest are changing. We may not like it, but we may need to tweak what we are doing. That's all I'm saying. I'd love to see more competitive games. The SCHSL thinks it is a good idea to put 2-8 teams in the playoffs . That's about as stupid as it gets!!

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic