Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SCAR... OUCH!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 3,937

SCAR... OUCH!

Sep 12, 2018, 4:02 PM

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/college-majors-offering-best-value

"The school ranked lowest on the list of best value schools is the University of South Carolina, which is tied at 106 on U.S. News’ list of best universities in America. A public university, its in-state tuition and fees are about $12,200, while out-of-state tuition and fees are nearly $32,400 (both figures from 2017-2018)."

-Bankrate.com

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey...there is some good news...

Sep 12, 2018, 4:15 PM

A degree from that third tier intellectually deficient diploma mill also doubles as a handicapped parking placard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Hey...there is some good news...

Sep 12, 2018, 4:29 PM

That's an insult to people with a handicap parking placard.

Re: SCAR... OUCH!

Sep 12, 2018, 5:22 PM

I love the old guy and his friends acting like kids are acting "entitled" for getting their school paid for and then he follows it up by saying he got paid to go to school and the others are old enough to have gone to school when it was 1/10th the cost it is now due to government funding.

Sounds about right. Good job, Coots.***

Sep 12, 2018, 5:42 PM

Sep 12, 2018, 6:25 PM

The tuition/fee numbers don't reflect room and board.

Harvard and Yale are around $73k this year inclusive.

I'd be curious to know how they calculate "best value" school as it's hard to see how any school charging $73k a year could be a "best value."

If they are using graduates starting salaries as the metric, remember that graduates in the Northeast typically stay in the Northeast where costs and salaries are higher.

Any state with a low cost of living and high out of state tuition cost is going to fare poorly in these types of rankings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2018, 7:48 PM

I would like to see the metrics behind these rankings. I would think the degree, generally speaking, would dictate value more so than the institution from which it was received. Most likely, a B.S. in nuclear engineering from M.I.T. would be more valuable than a B.S. in clinical psychology from M.I.T. Supply and demand applies to the job market as well.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2018, 6:34 PM

The larger issue for any of our public colleges and or universities is the massive decline in legislative support since 2000. Most have seen a forty to fifty percent reduction of financial support! USCe, Clemson and other schools all have had to raise tuition and related costs along with student enrollment to off set the loss of state funding.

It impacts us all.

Go Tigers ??!!

The expectation that everyone should go to college

Sep 12, 2018, 6:48 PM

is misplaced. Except for professions where an advanced degree or certification requires an undergrad (like accounting, engineering, medicine, law and others) college is largely a waste of money for many. Now days you could skip the cost, be your own boss and make more money doing things like brick laying, plumbing, and contracting. Plus you would have a lot more job security - I still haven't seen a computer or robot brick a house.
Also the skills you want to learn in college you can usually get for free from books and the internet.

Re: The expectation that everyone should go to college

Sep 12, 2018, 7:02 PM

Yea about that.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA-8mH-eRf4

Robotics is coming and it can't be stopped.

totally agree. In fact, the entire education institution is

Sep 12, 2018, 7:04 PM [ in reply to The expectation that everyone should go to college ]

FUBAR, in my opinion. It's really a waste of time from age 12 to 24, especially for the smartest folks. But it's most damaging to the folks who won't make a career out of an advanced speciality, because they waste time and go into debt that they have a hard time recovering from.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 3,937
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic