Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SC OC asked to compare freshman QB Ryan Hilinski to Trevor
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

SC OC asked to compare freshman QB Ryan Hilinski to Trevor

Mar 22, 2019, 2:21 PM

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/south-carolina-football/bryan-mcclendon-ryan-hilinski-trevor-lawrence-south-carolina-gamecocks-spring-progress/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SC OC asked to compare freshman QB Ryan Hilinski to Trevor

Mar 22, 2019, 2:27 PM

It'll take them a little while to decide on the pecking order....

Shouldn't it be called the "dirt-pecking order"? ***

Mar 22, 2019, 2:28 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Mar 22, 2019, 2:34 PM

Man, that is the face of a man that just bought something on craigslist sight-unseen. You can see it in his eyes.

I heard this interview a couple of days ago and thought

Mar 22, 2019, 3:07 PM

the idiot beatwriter was doing his dead-level best to pressure McClendon into a quote favorably comparing Trevor Lawrence to Hilinski at this stage of their development....some sort of quote he could plaster all over chickenworld alerting chickenfans that TL-reincarnate was heading their way....to his credit, McClendon declined to commit to something so outlandish and probably way off base.

The chickenmedia is at least partially responsible for the delusional haze encompassing chickenworld's individual heads.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I heard this interview a couple of days ago and thought

Mar 22, 2019, 3:52 PM

it is truely a stupid and insulting question. further compounded by the fact their guy hasnt played a college game yet. I really dislike some of the medias antics

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I heard this interview a couple of days ago and thought

Mar 22, 2019, 10:25 PM

Best question ever. How does an average to above average qb that compares favorably to Clemson’s QB back Brice compare to the greatest freshman QB and future prospect that has ever played the game.

U of S.C. OC... “well I mean even I could tell you Lawrence is better as a high school senior than a senior college Bentley or any age Hillinksi but what do you want me to do about it”.. pretty much how the quote read

Mar 22, 2019, 3:12 PM

Whoever asked has no business asking that question, it's completely unfair to Hillinski as the OC stated. As well as he was put in a position to say his QB wasn't as good or that he was belittling Trevor's quick rise to the top as a freshmen. I think he answered the question perfectly to be honest.

Mar 22, 2019, 3:18 PM

That has been the history of coot nation since forever. Create a character that does not exist so they can at least be happy for a short period of time. Then reality sets in about Game 4 and they are off to find another wizard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2019, 12:29 AM [ in reply to Re: SC OC asked to compare freshman QB Ryan Hilinski to Trevor ]

I agree. He handled the question well. Look forward to hearing "boom" answer the question. He will most assuredly say something foolish.

Mar 22, 2019, 3:33 PM

A rather unfair question!

DJ Uiagalelei's dad says hillinski is good and he's fond of him so that's enough for me!

Mar 22, 2019, 4:18 PM

What I keep seeing is that Hilinski is a product of one of those no-read pre-programmed high school systems that just requires a QB to deliver a ball to a place at a time.
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7499462/5bda1a1a1761ce054cdd1d90

Look at his film and you see zero sign he was asked to (or even can!) read the field or go through a progression. Start counting and you're literally at two-Mississippi every single time before the ball is gone, a lot of time without even so much as a three-step drop.

He does it well and there's obviously some arm strength and arm talent there, and just as obviously he's not a total statue in the pocket and can run - a bit - when called upon to do so, but that also looks to me like a team that just repetitively practiced about four different routes and just went to those throws by reflex whenever they saw a 1-on-1 because they knew they could beat it. And a lot of those high slowball arcing TD throws would have been pick-sixes in the SEC or ACC.

So it's great and all for high school, but is Hilinski remotely a complete college QB? Dunno. Because we've seen guys like Jordan Sorrells and Tucker Israel put up massive high school numbers in similar systems doing pretty much the exact same thing the exact same way. With my own eyes I watched Sorrells blow a North Carolina squad loaded with 4-star D1 QB's off the field in the Shrine Bowl back in the day, and he ended up as a pretty good QB at Furman...before ultimately winding up running Clemson's social media department. Israel backed up Kelly Bryant for a few years and never really sniffed the field at Clemson. It doesn't always translate, especially in systems like Hilinski's.

Hilinski's taller than either guy but other than that I dunno if he's really any different than either of those players. Maybe so, maybe not, and the high school film definitely does not answer that question.

I’m still waiting

Mar 22, 2019, 6:05 PM

on 5 head to be a better QB than DW4. This is what happens when a fan base substitutes pixie dust with angel dust.

Mar 23, 2019, 12:33 AM [ in reply to Re: SC OC asked to compare freshman QB Ryan Hilinski to Trevor ]

I trust the experts. He is good. He is probably real good. He is definitely no T.L. Rest assured, Boom will "develop" him into a bottom tier q.b. like Jake.

Mar 23, 2019, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Re: SC OC asked to compare freshman QB Ryan Hilinski to Trevor ]

Not once does he either look at a secondary receiver or throw to them. Every throw goes to the only player he looks at. He seems to have a very good arm and is very accurate, but he is going to have to learn to look off safeties and go through progressions.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chit.

Mar 22, 2019, 6:14 PM

Trevor is the standard and the OC addressed this properly. There's no comparison.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2019, 6:33 PM

Not quite sure why they recruited Hillinski.
#5head said 3 years ago that he wasn’t leaving until they won a National Championship. He’s going to be their starting QB forever.

Mar 23, 2019, 12:00 AM

I wonder if they ever bothered to tell Hillinski that he would ride the pines until Bentley leaves? I guess that never came up in his recruitment. Not sure why anyone bothers to ask about him until Bentley leave though. Makes no sense. More embarrassing than helpful.

Mar 22, 2019, 10:20 PM

Hellinski has the duck and cover down pat! Watch as people get near him!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SC OC asked to compare freshman QB Ryan Hilinski to Trevor ***

Mar 24, 2019, 2:26 PM

Mar 24, 2019, 2:36 PM

Found out Hilinski was going to do a Gamecock tradition and not play a down until NFL Combine so he would not get hurt riding the pine until Bentley graduates and then ride the pine for the next 3 years. So much for their good times.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic