Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Robocallers are the Scourge of the Modern Age.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Robocallers are the Scourge of the Modern Age.

Apr 9, 2019, 9:06 AM

I never realized what an epidemic robocalls were until I retired last May. And, blocking them is apparently the same as answering your phone. I know this because I have blocked so many numbers, I finally decided to put them all in a computer file to make sure I was not duplicating. Nope, to date 230 separate numbers from 31 states and Washington, DC, also a few from CANADA. The machines also "spoof" numbers, meaning the number that shows up on caller ID is not the real number. So, it is a never ending pool of aggravation, still getting several "new" ones each weekday. Instead of constantly hounding President Donald Trump, Congress should be doing something about this crap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Robocallers are the Scourge of the Modern Age.

Apr 9, 2019, 9:27 AM

Trump is the one that let this happen.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2019, 7:33 PM

You are nut.....Go Tigers!!!!

Have been having fun with them with screen call from google***

Apr 9, 2019, 9:29 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

My GF #1 says to get a flip-type Granny phone since she receives None!

Apr 9, 2019, 9:38 AM

...While I received one already this morning supposedly from LaJolla Ca from Asian sounding man with noises of a call sweat shop selling something involving National Business Association.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GF#1 will be getting them soon. They are starting to hit

Apr 9, 2019, 9:47 AM

cell phones as well as landlines now. My wife gets calls wanting to sell her a "free" back brace almost daily lately.

We have also received the alarming news several times that the IRS is coming after us for unpaid taxes. Their special almost nonEnglish speaking Indian agent is the one who delivers this sad news. I was happy to inform him that I had turned his number over to the government, and hopefully the REAL IRS would be chomping on his #### very soon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The back brace ones are infuriating.

Apr 9, 2019, 10:00 AM

I injured a disc in my lower back a few months ago and the day after I had an MRI done on it I started getting those calls to my cell phone. Either the hospital or my insurance company apparently sold out my information which just got my blood boiling immediately. You would think that would be a HIPAA violation.

They definitely sell out your information, because I started

Apr 9, 2019, 10:03 AM

getting them immediately after having shoulder surgery done middle of last year at a midlands orthopedic group. (Not naming them, of course.)

Well, I have been getting the back brace calls for a couple

Apr 9, 2019, 11:13 AM

moonths, and I have no idea what triggered them for me!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe you better complain to Midlands Orthopedics, then!! ***

Apr 9, 2019, 11:16 AM [ in reply to They definitely sell out your information, because I started ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe you better complain to Midlands Orthopedics, then!! ***

Apr 9, 2019, 12:57 PM

I did not name the company, you are inferring that on your own.

Re: They definitely sell out your information, because I started

Apr 9, 2019, 11:44 AM [ in reply to They definitely sell out your information, because I started ]

If I may give you some unsolicited advice that may impact your longevity, stay as far away from Midlands Orthopedic as you can get.

Re: GF#1 will be getting them soon. They are starting to hit

Apr 9, 2019, 10:20 AM [ in reply to GF#1 will be getting them soon. They are starting to hit ]

I like the automated calls I've been getting on my cell phone, there funny. A 845 area code number has called more than a few times recently to let me know that I've missed jury duty and that if I hang up, a warrant will be issued for my arrest. But I can resolve the issue by staying on the line and paying. I never make it past that before hanging up.

Every time you pick up the phone and answer one of those

Apr 9, 2019, 10:39 AM

calls, you assure yourself getting many more. Once the robots know it is a real working number with a human on the other end, the info is passed along to other callers.

NOMOROBO from Spectrum does a great job!

Apr 9, 2019, 10:06 AM

Only downside is that it seems to be also blocking appointment reminders from doctors, etc.

Small price to pay.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NOMOROBO from Sectrum does a great job!

Apr 9, 2019, 10:18 AM

Unfortunately, I am at an age where reminders about doctors appointments are very important. Also, NOMOROBO allows the phone to ring once before blocking the call, according to what I have read. I am literally getting these calls by the dozen or more a day, so even single rings would be annoying. Once I have the number blocked, my phone doesn't ring at all. It just lights up and says "Caller Blocked", and shows up on the Caller ID log. HA! Literally just got one while typing this message! Gave it the single finger salute and old FU for good measure.

I get a dozen robocalls every day

Apr 9, 2019, 10:44 AM

From all over the country. One day last week I blew my top and used some rather foul language to one caller. The “lady” told me that since I chose to use such curse words she would see that I get several calls every day ..... and I do. You can’t win!

I’m certain that the hospital I was confined to after my traffic accident sold my name to these ‘pain clinics’. Shameful what America has become.

Last month I got a call from a young person claiming to be my grandson who had been arrested at a traffic stop for having marijuana in his car. He wanted me to put up bail money by phone so it wouldn’t go on his record. It probably wouldn’t be good for me to know who developed this scheme. I know some who actually fell for it.

Make America great again Donald. Like you promised

Re: Pro Tip

Apr 9, 2019, 10:53 AM

When you realize its a robocall just lay the phone down until they hang up. I've been getting lots less calls once their system confirms you have listened to the message.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another tip ... get a live person on the line by

Apr 9, 2019, 11:02 AM

pressing whatever button the recorded message says. Once the live person is on the line, starting reading the Bible to them. I start at the Gospel of John. They typically don't call back. But, one stated, "Amen!" once I stopped reading because I thought they had hung up. The other starting using blasphemous language because apparently they didn't want to hear it. At least I stirred them up a little.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: NOMOROBO from Sectrum does a great job!

Apr 9, 2019, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: NOMOROBO from Sectrum does a great job! ]

The one ring thing has stopped over the past couple of weeks. Not sure why, but it’s happened.

I agree about the doctor reminders.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2019, 11:01 AM

This modern age is something. The other day my caller ID indicated I was getting a call to myself on my own phone. I didn't answer because I though the indicated caller was a nut case.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2019, 11:05 AM

I have actually thus far resisted even having my own cell phone (wife has one). So, I guess that makes me a nut case, and I am sure I am in a VERY small minority these days. I do not feel deprived.

Apr 9, 2019, 11:25 AM

What really pizzes me off is a caller using my home number. Don't know why they think I would answer it. Otherwise, if I don't recognize the number, it goes to voice mail, unless it's an area code outside the southeast, then it's shut off. Most of the time, no message is left.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

I will block the out of state calls, but so many now are

Apr 9, 2019, 12:19 PM

coming from local numbers. I am hesitant to block local numbers, which they scam from my neighbors. Had a call recently, pops up a friend's number, I answer, "Hey Jeremy", and then find out it's a damm robo-call!

Apr 9, 2019, 12:51 PM

76er® said:

I never realized what an epidemic robocalls were until I retired last May. And, blocking them is apparently the same as answering your phone. I know this because I have blocked so many numbers, I finally decided to put them all in a computer file to make sure I was not duplicating. Nope, to date 230 separate numbers from 31 states and Washington, DC, also a few from CANADA. The machines also "spoof" numbers, meaning the number that shows up on caller ID is not the real number. So, it is a never ending pool of aggravation, still getting several "new" ones each weekday. Instead of constantly hounding President Donald Trump, Congress should be doing something about this crap.

The solution isn't really political. Robocalls are already illegal.

The solutions are going to be technical, and change is coming. A good article from WIRED breaks it down:
https://www.wired.com/story/robocall-getting-worse-but-help-is-here/

Apr 9, 2019, 8:10 PM

Not to confirm the article or sources but Wired is one of the best mags I've ever kept up with. They are ahead of everyone it seems on lots of issues. They seem to "get it" more so than others also.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://abc13.com/finance/how-to-stop-harassing-robocalls-an

Apr 9, 2019, 1:07 PM

https://abc13.com/finance/how-to-stop-harassing-robocalls-and-earn-money/4633056/

However, unless I missed something in that report,

Apr 9, 2019, 1:45 PM

the records required for the lawsuit do not address spoofed numbers. Typically, those don't 'repeat'. That seems to be a loophole for the spoofers/robodialers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Yeah, you'd have to prove they orignated from the same

Apr 9, 2019, 8:05 PM

people, and that would significantly much more difficult.

Medical Brace Callers May Be Near an End

Apr 9, 2019, 4:07 PM

Just saw a news report that SC is one state where a federal investigation has busted a $1.8B scam. They have charged doctors, clinics and call centers with writing bogus prescriptions and filing false claims with MediCare. Unfortunately, the government has already paid out $1.6B in claims.

I will be glad when this one and the credit card one are eliminated.

Doesn't seem like they have been able to nab the fake IRS

Apr 9, 2019, 5:44 PM

callers yet. Guess they don't want to travel to India.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic