Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Resource: For those of you thinking about cutting the cord, here's everything you need to know
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Resource: For those of you thinking about cutting the cord, here's everything you need to know

Oct 6, 2019, 11:23 PM

This is a guide for what services require what devices, and each service channel lineup.

... Now give me a point so I can get my steak knives. ??

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/playstation-vue-vs-philo-vs-fubotv-vs-hulu-vs-sling-tv-vs-youtube-tv-vs-watch-tv-vs-att-tv-now-updated-september-2019/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is totally awesome - for realz....I wish I could

Oct 7, 2019, 1:04 AM

pull the trigger.

Rural folks getting all discriminated on....Satellite Net with 50 gig download at $180/mo - Anybody moved to Hughes Net recently What the skinny on that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live in about as rural an area as anyone, & have 1 Gig fiber!!

Oct 7, 2019, 4:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I live in about as rural an area as anyone, & have 1 Gig fiber!!

Oct 7, 2019, 9:51 AM

Most rural in my area at best get twisted pair, asdl from the telephone company with the requirement that you pay for landline to get the top end 20 mb asdl. Of course, phone company provides fiber service without extortion in areas where they have competition.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Resource: For those of you thinking about cutting the cord, here's everything you need to know

Oct 7, 2019, 1:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uhh...not really!!***

Oct 7, 2019, 8:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Resource: For those of you thinking about cutting the cord, here's everything you need to know

Oct 7, 2019, 5:57 AM

Through the years , I have played the cable companies off of each other and switched between them for cheaper prices. The past couple of cycles, Comcast has met my price requirement to keep me as a customer. If you have only one provider, disconnect for a month to come back in as a new customer.

With Dish & DirecTV, you don't even have to do that!

Oct 7, 2019, 8:17 PM

Cancel it one day, they will call you the very next day, begging you to come back, and if you pressure them, you will get a great deal. Including a $300 gift card!

Good stuff M1 !***

Oct 7, 2019, 7:40 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 8:01 AM

Here is my 2 month review of Youtube TV:

I had Directv for 15+ years, and switched when the price went to over $175 (which included the ACCN I think).

The Good:
It is only $50/month for service.

Okay, I bought 2 Roku devices to make it a little easier for the wife. Plus 1 TV is not a smart TV, so it needed some help. I spent less than $100 on those 2 devices. The Roku devices allow me to access some old movies/shows and is different than what I was used to seeing on Directv.

I have 100 Mps internet, but bought a 3-pack Google Mesh to improve my Wifi in all areas of my house. I bought used on Craigslist for about $125 I think (new ones are higher).

I love Youtube TV and is extremely easy to use for me. I can customize the selection, unlimited recording to the cloud, watch multiple games with no issues, etc.

The bad:
My wife does not navigate the channels as easily as I do, and still does not like Youtube TV, so I have to tolerate listening to gripes. Luckily for me, she reads a lot and watches little TV. Just be aware of that landmine.

I haven't found an easy way to see what is coming on in the future other than the next show, so you have to know or guess what you might want to record. This is my biggest complaint. If anyone knows how to scan ahead for hours or days on Youtube TV (similar to Directv), please let me know.

Summary:
I was using Wifi Extenders throughout the house, and they seemed to slow the Wifi down, so using the Google Mesh system (thanks to t-net poster for recommending that idea) has made that problem disappear.

Also, be aware of the channel lineups for each service. Youtube TV gives me everything I usually watch, but missed a couple of channels that my wife watched. I found those shows on Youtube, but Philo ($20/mth) offered those extra shows, so I had a plan to do that.

Question about YouTube and other streaming

Oct 7, 2019, 8:26 AM

I tried YouTube for GT game. And Hulu for Char.

I found both to lag way behind real time. My phone would give me alerts that we scored and then several minutes later I would see the score on the TV.

With YouTube it seemed to get more and more behind as game progressed. By end of game was probably 10 minutes behind.

Hulu didn’t seem as bad but still several minutes. 30 seconds or maybe a minute lag probably I can take. Ten minutes is hard when you have friends or relatives texting you “Did you see that?!”

Nope I haven’t seen it yet!!!

I have ATT U-verse (so ACCN now) so not sure if it is ATT or YouTube or Hulu.

I’ve found that ATT even when we are on ABC or ESPN is behind. Sometimes on phone during game “watching” with friend. He can tell me what is going to happen! However the ATT lag is at most 30 seconds - maybe less.

Anyone else experience this? I know could just turn phone off but would be nice to see real time!

They are all behind the live broadcast.

Oct 7, 2019, 8:56 AM

Radio is instant.

Even direct tv and cable are behind.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

until streaming becomes real-time, it's a no-go for me

Oct 7, 2019, 6:27 PM

as mentioned, sometimes it is several minutes behind.

DirecTV is usually about a 8-10 second lag behind radio. I'll have my radio in the kitchen, and it clues me in when a commercial break is ending so I can mosey on back to the TV.

When streaming, I can be out in the yard mowing grass listening to the radio. I hear a TD call, stop, shut mower off, walk inside, stop at the fridge for a cold one, and head to living room with plenty of time to spare to see the TD play unfold.

It's worth saving a few bucks to some folks for that lag, plus the intermittent buffering and less-than-HD picture. More power to 'em, I hope they can take all that saved money with 'em some day.

But for me, DirecTV is worth every penny. I bought that big ol' screen for a clear, sharp, LIVE picture.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about YouTube and other streaming

Oct 7, 2019, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Question about YouTube and other streaming ]

My experience is that all streaming packages (I've used Vue, Hulu, Sling) are on average 30-45 sec behind "live". I don't have quite the problem that you do re: texts or alerts on every play or TD etc. But I have learned to give any texts I get during the game about 2 min just to see if it is game related.

The accumulated delay is something new though. With Hulu Live, I had Carolina Panthers as one of my sports teams. When I came home yesterday, I had missed the 1st quarter. When I opened the app to watch the game it started at opening kickoff. I gradually worked my way back to 'live'. Maybe you have something similar and that DVR had something to do with it? I've never seen a delay as long as 10 min that wasn't caused by an internet outage and I could just go back to 'Live' on the time bar.

Re: Question about YouTube and other streaming

Oct 7, 2019, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Question about YouTube and other streaming ]

If your YoutubeTV kept getting further behind it may have been due to your activity with the remote.

A positive about YoutubeTV is that it will allow you to pause live tv and come back to it after a few minutes which many streaming services will not allow.

The negative of that is if you mess with the remote and accidentally pause the game you are watching, it won't refresh back to "live". It will get further and further behind until you change the channel or refresh it back to live. Refreshing in the middle of the game causes you to miss what you skip.

Frequently with my YoutubeTV subscription I will watch in the ESPN app which allows multicast to watch more than one game at a time and is easier to flip from one game to another and back. I rarely do this during Clemson games because I like the Clemson game full screen, but it's great at other times when there are multiple games of interest to watch at the same time.

I put live in quotes because with all streaming services, as others have mentioned, you get that 1-2 minute delay as opposed to satellite or cable where the delay is 10-15 seconds.

If your YouTube TV is getting several minutes behind,

Oct 7, 2019, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Question about YouTube and other streaming ]

I think you have something else going on besides a lap in the stream! I have DirecTV and YouTube TV, and I have compared the two on several occasions. YouTube is consistently 12-13 seconds behind Direct, the lag is constant, it does not get worse as the game goes on! So, if Direct is 10 seconds behind "Live", YouTube is about 23 seconds behind "Live".

Question about YouTube and other streaming

Oct 7, 2019, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Resource: For those of you thinking about cutting the cord, here's everything you need to know ]

I tried YouTube for GT game. And Hulu for Char.

I found both to lag way behind real time. My phone would give me alerts that we scored and then several minutes later I would see the score on the TV.

With YouTube it seemed to get more and more behind as game progressed. By end of game was probably 10 minutes behind.

Hulu didn’t seem as bad but still several minutes. 30 seconds or maybe a minute lag probably I can take. Ten minutes is hard when you have friends or relatives texting you “Did you see that?!”

Nope I haven’t seen it yet!!!

I have ATT U-verse (so ACCN now) so not sure if it is ATT or YouTube or Hulu.

I’ve found that ATT even when we are on ABC or ESPN is behind. Sometimes on phone during game “watching” with friend. He can tell me what is going to happen! However the ATT lag is at most 30 seconds - maybe less.

Anyone else experience this? I know could just turn phone off but would be nice to see real time!

I don't think there is a "real time" broadcast on any

Oct 7, 2019, 9:04 AM

network or service. I think the networks have at least a 5 second buffer in the broadcast.

You can hear the stadium explode with cheers during a big play a few seconds before seeing it on TV while watching the games on Dish at our tailgating spot time. You know it's a score when you hear the cannon!

There is no telling what the providers in major markets do with commercial/tv timeouts...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re future lineup:

Oct 7, 2019, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Resource: For those of you thinking about cutting the cord, here's everything you need to know ]

You will need to translate this from tablet method to tv method: i use a tablet to access YoutubeTV, then cast it to the Roku, for easier control. Anyway, while on the channel lineup (the "Live TV"), tap on the channel logo at the far left. This will take you to a summary for that channel, including future lineup.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Resource: For those of you thinking about cutting the cord, here's everything you need to know ]

I haven't found an easy way to see what is coming on in the future other than the next show, so you have to know or guess what you might want to record. This is my biggest complaint. If anyone knows how to scan ahead for hours or days on Youtube TV (similar to Directv), please let me know.

Summary:
I was using Wifi Extenders throughout the house, and they seemed to slow the Wifi down, so using the Google Mesh system (thanks to t-net poster for recommending that idea) has made that problem disappear.

Also, be aware of the channel lineups for each service. Youtube TV gives me everything I usually watch, but missed a couple of channels that my wife watched. I found those shows on Youtube, but Philo ($20/mth) offered those extra shows, so I had a plan to do that.

Excellent synopsis, I ended up with YoutubeTv and Philo as well. I did not need Philo , but it has a robust package that covers almost everything except Locals and sports.

Couple of hints for YouTubeTV watchers.

1. The search is a good way to find all occurrences of what you are looking for live, in the future, and on demand. I have found it very good to set recording.

2. On my YoutubeTV , I can still scroll to the right , to see future guide content. It is slow so I do not use it much. I use the search or the category search which also works well for me when browsing.

3. Discovered neat feature while watching games Saturday, I assume it would work while watching any content. When watching a game , I pressed the down arrow key twice, and it showed me a lost of icons (while my game was still playing ) across the bottom of the screen for all the other games that were on at he same tome. I switched between games very easily once I understood this. I will probably post this in a separate thread as it was pretty cool.

4. I haven't had toad extenders or anything at my house to have full coverage. Typical 2 story ranch. But that could be related to locations of my TVs and router etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We just cut Uverse TV from our AT&T service last month.

Oct 7, 2019, 9:10 AM

YouTube TV works very good with 100 mbps download speed.

We use Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick to display YouTube TV on our TVs. (The Amazon Firestick YouTube TV app is less than a week old and works just like the tablet/phone/PC interface.)

I was hesitant to cut the cord, but I am very happy after one month.

We have smart TVs, but IMO the TV interface is too clunky when compared to casting from a mobile device or the using the Firestick.

Oct 7, 2019, 5:46 PM

Thank you for that post. I’ve been hesitant/scared to make the cut. I’ve been paying for YouTube for a couple of months and haven’t done it. I know stupid waste of money. I have DirectTv but I have two addresses my home and my camper at the lake. I have ATTuverse as my internet provider at home and I have heard that it’s not strong enough for streaming and I have Viasat at the lake which is expensive 117.00 and is limited. There is no internet at the lake that is not satellite. Anyone got any ideas on this

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Tried YouTube TV and Playstation Vue

Oct 7, 2019, 6:35 PM

When U-verse was not carrying ACCN. I’m paying for 50 MPs (most I can get here) but According to sped tests I’m lucky if I get 30.

I tried on AppleTV, old Roku stick and Fire Stick.

Both worked well but I had some freeze ups with You Tube which may have just been timing.

Personally i liked the Vue guide the best - made it easier to switch channels and also see what is coming up.

Also if you have AppleTV the Vue has a 4 screen multi view which is really nice for watching football.

I’m going to end up sticking with U-verse for now since they came out with ACCN and my price is actually lower than internet plus Vue for me right now. But if that changes I will go with Vue.

This shows how folks have different preferences. I tried PSV

Oct 7, 2019, 11:00 PM

and literally hated their interface, compared to YouTubeTV. In YTTV, I love being able to scroll through the channel listing, especially after arranging the channels to put the sports channels together. I can hover over the thumbnail of any channel, and check the score of a game, without ever clicking on the channel, keeping the sound of the main game I am watching!

Re: This shows how folks have different preferences. I tried PSV

Oct 8, 2019, 8:00 AM

You actually can do the exact same think in Vue by setting your favorites. They will then be at the front and you can easily scroll through them. I think you also see more details but not 100% sure as I no longer have access to TTTV

Oct 7, 2019, 9:27 PM

They left the Nvidia shield off of the list. It is hands down the fastest device out there. It is built for video game streaming, uploading, and downloading streams at high frame rates. It has an android OS with play store. You can get all streaming services on it, connect a mouse and keyboard if needed and it works wirelessly or you can hook up an Ethernet cable.

If you are a gamer, you can download and play all recent video games. It is Just a little bigger than a cell phone. Oh, and you can jailbreak it to, so I’ve heard.

Oct 7, 2019, 10:36 PM

I've been using yttv for about 2 years now and really like it. The guide isn't as fancy as cable but it works. One tip is to log on using a tablet or your phone and you can rearrange the channels. I basically put the 10 most watched first, then the others. I even deleted ones we do not watch from even showing on the guide....Simpler for the spouse..

I use roku ultras on all TVs. They have LAN ports and I have LAN drops in every room; because I'm ####. I have 500 mbps speed (fiber all the way to my structured wire panel) and use only ubiquity routers and AC points. I have the wireless AC points for phones, laptops, etc. I really like the ubiquity PoE access points that can be daisy chained. You can have strong coverage over an entire farm if you wanted. No weird extenders, gigantic alien looking routers, or gimmicks that try to boost a weak signal...

I pay $50 for yttv and $60 for internet (never rent internet equip from the cable co.) which is much less than my old cable bill.

If your ever in summerville, stop on by. I'll be watching the game on 120 inches (if I can't be there in person).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic