Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Regarding the punt return rule... It's really weird...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,051

Regarding the punt return rule... It's really weird...

Nov 12, 2018, 10:08 AM

We are punting to BC. The ball hits our guy first. Then the BC guy snags it and takes off. IF the BC returner fumbles the ball after running with it and we recover, it remains BC ball at the point where it touched our guy.

They are coached where if you're sure it hit the opposing team, you can try and return it with no repercussions. I am pretty sure I'm correct on this. Bizarre rule.

Fast forward to the awful missed kick catch interference call. Not only was it interference, but the ball appeared to have hit BC player before Amari. So by rule (see above scenario), it should've been our ball regardless of interference.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong. If return man touched it then it’s a live ball.

Nov 12, 2018, 10:10 AM

If he fumbled and we recovered it’s Clemson’s ball.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wrong. If return man touched it then it’s a live ball.

Nov 12, 2018, 10:16 AM

Wrong. Poster of this thread is correct, if we have the same punt return rules as nfl. I know without a doubt, this is the case in nfl.

Nope...

Nov 12, 2018, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Wrong. If return man touched it then it’s a live ball. ]

Not if it touches kicking team first. If it touches kicking team first, no matter what happens, the worst case scenario is the receiving teams ball where it was first touched. If BC returner fumbled and we took it back for a score... it would have been BC ball where it was first touched by Clemson. OP is correct.

Re: Nope...

Nov 12, 2018, 10:18 AM

And so are you sir!

Re: Nope...

Nov 12, 2018, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Nope... ]

Not true. If he touched the ball or muffed it after we touched it first, then you are correct. But once he picks it up and starts running, a fumble is a new live ball. See my posts below...he can't just run all over the field with no risk of turnover once he has established possession.

Someone just posted the rules.

Nov 12, 2018, 10:41 AM

Even if BC returned it all the way to our goal line and fumbled and we returned it back for a td. It would have been BC ball where we first touched it.

Re: Regarding the punt return rule... It's really weird...

Nov 12, 2018, 10:10 AM

I don't think this is accurate. If it hits our guy and then hits a BC guy, or he tries to grab it but can't corral it, then it's still BC ball. But once he picks it up and starts running, if he later fumbles it's a live ball again. We can recover and we would have possession.

Basically, once BC establishes possession, the "free fumble" is out the window.

I know for sure if BC return man muffed it after we touched

Nov 12, 2018, 10:12 AM

it then it remains BC ball.

I thought even if starts returning it, then it was still a free play.

Re: I know for sure if BC return man muffed it after we touched

Nov 12, 2018, 10:14 AM

Yes, absolutely agree that if he muffed it after we touched it, it's their ball. You are correct there.

But he can't pick it up, run it 30 yards, fumble, and still be "protected" by the same rule. If that was the case, you'd see teams pitching laterals all over the place trying to score since there would be no risk of a turnover.

Sorry, man. You’re wrong.

Nov 12, 2018, 10:20 AM

And no you wouldn’t see laterals and the suck. They want good field position. Scenario: if the receiver gets 20 or 30+ yards upfield and realize they are about to get tackled...they get tackled. Why risk fumbling back to the other team with a lateral and losing those 20 or 30+ yards by having the ball spotted back at the illegal touch point?

He IS still protected by the same rule.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry, man. You’re wrong.

Nov 12, 2018, 10:27 AM

You may be right there. If it's a flagged "illegal touching" penalty, then what's really happening in the proposed scenario is that they fumble, we recover. But they accept the penalty which nullifies the return. So it is a live ball, we would recover, we would have possession. Since they can accept a penalty though, it wipes the whole thing out.

Note than an illegal touch is NOT a penalty.

Nov 12, 2018, 10:34 AM

It’s considered a “violation.” So there are no flags thrown for it. They may throw a bean bag at the spot of the illegal touch if the ball continues in play just so they can remember where it was.

Re: I know for sure if BC return man muffed it after we touched

Nov 12, 2018, 10:43 AM [ in reply to I know for sure if BC return man muffed it after we touched ]

Once the punt is touched by the kicking team, the return team can do whatever without negative recourse. That’s why you always see the kicking team pick the ball up so the refs will blow the play dead. Heads up play by BC player. I guarantee he knew the rule. It’s not illegal touching if kick team touches the ball. The kick team touches the ball on 99% of unfielded punts, no flags. Illegal touching is a penalty.

Everything else you said is correct besides it being a penalty.

Nov 12, 2018, 11:04 AM

It’s a violation. No flags are thrown for it. There is a difference.

Not sure about this. This could be the case,

Nov 12, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Regarding the punt return rule... It's really weird... ]

but I have always understood no matter what happened it would be where it was first touched by kicking team.

Nov 12, 2018, 10:12 AM

ACC ofishuls don't know rulz.....

Nov 12, 2018, 10:13 AM

You are absolutely correct. I heard it being discussed and the rules officials said the exact same thing you wrote.

Hopefully it’ll be addressed in the off season... especially if you’re trying to protect injury.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,051
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic