Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruiting question in general. Since we have time between
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Recruiting question in general. Since we have time between

Dec 17, 2018, 7:22 PM

games, tell me what you think the most blatant recruiting has ever been done, BUT, all sources, not just rumors, point to it.

I start with SMU years ago...they got the first, and only, “Death Penalty,” ever. My next is Cam Newton. He was on the auction block and Auburn won. I then come to Hershal. Back in the day I had close connections with our football staff. Hershal is on record saying that if he had not signed with GA, he was coming to Clemson. It was such a strong recruiting battle that one of our assistant coaches and a Georgia assistant ran into each other during a visit and came close to a fist fight. Three deal makers killed us. 1. Hershal’s one year older sister was a track star. Georgia, at the time, did not have a Ladies Track Program, but Vince Dooley immediately established one, and, guess who got the first scholarship offer. 2. Everyone recognized that he was the best player in the nation and the adamant Georgia fan base just could not conceive of him leaving the state. I cannot imagine the pressure he had on him. 3. His uncle had a used car lot. One week before signing day, his lot was sold out. Bottom line is he wanted to come to Clemson but just could not, being 17 years old, defy all the other pressure he got.

I am 76 years old so I go way back. So much so that, being a 9th grader, rode a Trailways bus to Miami with a friend to see Clemson play Colorado in the Orange Bowl. Trip took two days. Not to worry, I had an uncle In Miami that took care of us. Clemson’s qb was Charlie Bussey and our All American running back was Joel Wells. Joel had a long touchdown run but we lost the game. He went on to play in the NFL.

Evidently Joel’s Dreher High team was very talented...lots of scholarship offers.

Bottom line of this post, if you are still reading it, is Joel told me that back in his day he got $50 after each game. His Dreher buddies that went to SC got $100. So cheating has existed forever, but, call me an idiot or not, but Dabo WILL NOT CHEAt!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Laundry money” I think they called the stipend back then.

Dec 17, 2018, 8:03 PM

It was legal and part of the things the schools were allowed to include in their scholarship offer back in the 1950s.

But, one school gave $50 and another offers $100 to the kid for money to “do his laundry”.

Stakes are higher today for sure, but the basic problem is the same.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

first death penalty in football

Dec 17, 2018, 8:34 PM

Kentucky and SW LA both got it earlier in basketball

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic