Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rearranging the AP Top 25 based on merit only
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Rearranging the AP Top 25 based on merit only

Sep 16, 2018, 10:27 PM

Just one man's opinion, but here is my top 25, with comments, if you base the rankings on RESULTS ONLY. You have to take preseason rankings and reputation into account to a certain extent, but this is my attempt at a completely unbiased top 25, based on MERIT.

1. LSU 3-0 – Two top-10 wins away from faux Death Valley. Enough said. Makes one wonder what the Orgeronians can do in the bayou. #ImLookingAtYouGeorgia.
2. Georgia 3-0 – A throbbing beatdown of a top 25 team on the road should count for something, even if the quality of the vanquished is greatly questioned by folks around here.
3. Ohio State 3-0 – Two power five wins before Saturday were suspect, but the dissection of the top-15 Frogs was legit, and without their best defensive lineman for half the game.
4. Alabama 3-0 – Two uber routs over power five teams away from home is enough to satisfy. The eye test is just running up the score.
5. Oklahoma 3-0 – Demolished two FBS (one Power 5) opponents, then notched a solid road win at historically dangerous Ames. Kyler Murray = no dropoff from Baker MayJustBeAJerk.
6. Clemson 3-0 – Like Georgia, a couple of tomato can knockovers surrounding an impressive road win. Tigers still looking for that playoff gear.
7. Mississippi State 3-0 – Following a Georgia/Clemson track with their solid road win bookended by patsy blowouts. This Mick Fitzsimmons fella could carry a team, methinks.
8. Stanford 3-0 – Is San Diego State going to be their signature win? So far it is, what with USC looking like, well, USC. At Oregon and at Notre Dame the next two weeks will show me something.
9. Penn State 3-0 – A curious team, these Nitts. Follow up an overtime home win over App State with a clobberation of archrival Pitt on the road. Jury still out, but trending up.
10. Washington 2-1 – Don’t shortchange the win at Utah. Very decisive. Very defensive. Throw in a most impressive “neutral site” loss to Auburn, this is a decent early résumé.
11. Oklahoma State 3-0 – “I’m a Man! I beat Boise State!” Yeah, well played, fellas. You got Boise while everybody is in love with them. Not much street cred in my book. Very weak schedule.
12. BYU 2-1 – Oh how the Cougars want that Cal game back. At 3-0, they would be in the top 10, easily. Alas, that home loss weighs heavy on the team that just beat a top-6 Wisconsin team on the road. I say, UNDER rated.
13. Auburn 2-1 – The Washington win may have been a mirage. No way the Plains Tigers lose to the Swamp Tigers at home, if Gus wants to get to Atlanta, much less Santa Clara.
14. West Virginia 2-0 – Not sure what the cancelled N.C. State game would have proven to me. Their season begins in November, with three straight games against (likely) ranked teams. Until then, meh.
15. Notre Dame 3-0 – Sorry. Not a believer. Narrow home wins against Ball State and Vandy and a highly overrated Michigan team. Quarterback is a big ?
16. Virginia Tech 2-0 – Not to totally discredit the win at FSU, but good gawd FSU is horrible. Sorry, Hokies, but that road win is losing value by the microsecond.
17. TCU 2-1 – Could have entered the playoff picture with a win over the Bucks, but now it’s just a 2-1 sandwich with no meat. Hardly any vegies. Just bread and mayo, basically.
18. Michigan 2-1 – Respectable loss at Notre Dame, but the man in khakis has got to win a meaningful game eventually. Still waiting for that.
19. Oregon 3-0 – Three layups leading up to Stanford may not be the best preparation. A win over the trees will impress, but until then, reserving judgment.
20. Texas A&M 2-1 – My how we have generated respect for a home loss. Like Oregon, you may have mismanaged your preparation for your toughest road test of the year. Best of luck in Tuscaloosa. You will need it.
21. Boston College 3-0 – I guess the win at Wake Forest, seen by hundreds on ESPN, was your springboard. OK, prove it was no fluke by taking down juggernauts Purdue and Temple.
22. Miami – 2-1. Why are you playing at Toledo? You are Miami. Nice win, I guess, but it ain’t exactly a win at Lane Stadium. You blew your chance in Week One and will be punished accordingly.
23. Wisconsin 2-1 – Positively nothing to see here. Lose at home to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir? GTFOOH.
24. Central Florida 2-0 – Wins at Connecticut and home against SC State. Yawning so hard my jaw is dislocating.
25. Michigan State 1-1 – Why must I even waste time with this team? Already blown your bye week after a pathetic loss at Arizona State. Begone.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rearranging the AP Top 25 based on merit only

Sep 16, 2018, 10:50 PM

Great post with good logical reasoning; does not show bias for our Tigers. I too would put our Tigers around 6 or 7 (for now).

I would put Alabama number one - I understand your reasoning for having LSU as one, but I cannot get rid of what my eyes saw yesterday against Ole Miss (yes, the eye test).

If you just go by resume, Auburn should be ahead of Washington and Notre Dame should be somewhere around 7 or 8 - why downgrade their win over Michigan so much? Also, why not Texas A&M above Michigan, there loss was more respectable - right?

Sep 17, 2018, 7:29 AM

Good point on Alabama. They look awesome. But I tend to give strength of schedule more weight than the eye test. I do believe Alabama will beat LSU (and anybody else, for that matter). This is just about results.

I am of the mind that head-to-head should not pull the cart; hence, my placement of Auburn below Washington. That was a very competitive game in Auburn's neighborhood that UW woulda coulda shoulda won. Beyond that, I have the Huskies' quality road win (Utah) clearly trumping Auburn's quality home loss (LSU).

And as much as Alabama passes the eye test, Notre Dame flunks it, IMHO.

Agree on A&M. Aggies should definitely be above Michigan.

Sep 16, 2018, 10:58 PM

I stop reading this post when you placed LSU # 1.......you really think LSU could beat Bama (or Clemson for that fact)......Ohio State is also over-rated and will not make the playoffs.......Go Tigers!!!!!

OP doesn’t say LSU could beat us

Sep 16, 2018, 11:07 PM

Specifically says this list is based on merit. And on current results, the fake Death Valley dwellers have the two best wins so far. Neither at home.

Sep 16, 2018, 11:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Rearranging the AP Top 25 based on merit only ]

He said "based on merit only."

Sep 17, 2018, 12:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Rearranging the AP Top 25 based on merit only ]

I don’t know who the best team is right now, but I do know Alabama hasn’t played anybody that is any good at all yet.
Louisville? Does anybody think Louisville is any good at all? I don’t.
Arkansas St? Uhhhhhhh, No.
Ole Miss? Gave up 629 yds, 29 1st downs, 388 yds passing, 241 yds rushing, 41 pts, to a team that had 3 turnovers. Anybody think Southern Illinois is good?

Saw Arky yesterday. They are triple terrible. No O-line, no D-line, no run game, pass game is less reliable than a gypsy on meth. My impression of the fan base, they’re not there for the game, they’re there for the tailgating. The side show is the main event.

It's all about results

Sep 17, 2018, 7:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Rearranging the AP Top 25 based on merit only ]

As I stated in my introduction, this is about what happened on the field, and LSU has earned No. 1. I don't see that it's even an argument.

Re: It's all about results

Sep 17, 2018, 9:57 AM

Not showing Clemson bias but has UGA been through anything remotely close to the officials bias in College Station? Without their bias we roll aTm by 30 or more, in their place. You seem to have forgotten about that X-Factor.

Made me nauseous hearing the talking heads discuss aTm all week, like they did not see the obvious all week. Pumping that SEC Gas.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Rearranging the AP Top 25 based on merit only ]

B2westfarm, Can you please explain with actual facts our Ohio state is overrated? Also based on your answer please explain to me how Clemson is not.

So a win at Aimes is more impressive than at aTm?

Sep 16, 2018, 11:03 PM

Or does beating an 0-3 UCLA give them that slight edge?

~JKB

Re: So a win at Aimes is more impressive than at aTm?

Sep 17, 2018, 7:05 AM

I maintain wins over UCLA and FAU are clearly better than wins over Furman and Georgia Southern. Clemson's A&M win was better than OU's win at Iowa State, but all things considered, I like OU's results better than Clemson's. For now.

enjoyed your rankings and the follow-up comments

Sep 16, 2018, 11:48 PM

you make a pretty good case for each. Like one previous responder, the Ole Miss evisceration on the road would have me putting Bama as #1. And I also think the Fightin' Mean Green of North Texas St should be included in the ranking for whipping an SEC team on the road....they should get a special vote for that phenominal punt return fakery anyhow!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: enjoyed your rankings and the follow-up comments

Sep 17, 2018, 7:07 AM

Totally agree on North Texas! This was just a rearrangement of the existing top 25.

Fun read, thanks for posting :)***

Sep 17, 2018, 12:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sep 17, 2018, 4:41 AM

Good list and fair logic.

Didn’t see Coots in top 100

Sep 17, 2018, 7:28 AM

they didn’t lose which is merit enough! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 7:38 AM

Bama at #4 does not compute.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 9:43 AM

No top-25 wins is the deal breaker. The teams above the Tide all have at least one ROAD win against top-25 competition. Does not mean Bama would not destroy any team they play, just means they have not done it yet.

Sep 17, 2018, 9:51 AM

While I don’t agree 100%, I do agree with most of your assessment. Always nice to read a non-bias opinion from a fellow Tiger fan. Go Tigers!

im wondering why Cal is not in there at 3-0

Sep 17, 2018, 9:52 AM

And a win over #12 BYU (on your list). That's better than many teams in your top 25

Excellent point...

Sep 17, 2018, 11:53 AM

... and they will be considered in the future. But because I didn't feel like doing too much research, I just took the existing top 25 and rearranged it to my way of thinking.

jeeves2 this is very well written! Great job!

Sep 17, 2018, 10:04 AM

Hopefully you will keep this up all season

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: jeeves2 this is very well written! Great job!

Sep 17, 2018, 12:26 PM

I’d second this. Would like to see this list and thread throughout season.

Very interesting take on season so far

Sep 17, 2018, 10:44 AM

I might would swap out OSU and UGA....I find OSU defeat of TCU more impressive. But all in all, the list makes sense. People do love to argue why this team is ranked this or that is ranked that. Don't matter. Win and you in. Don't matter til late Nov and early Dec.

Sep 17, 2018, 12:41 PM

Enjoyable read.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic