Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN racist? What about the Celebration Bowl?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

ESPN racist? What about the Celebration Bowl?

Dec 15, 2018, 9:23 AM

All I hear all week on ESPN radio is “5 bowl games this weekend! Cure Bowl kicks it off.”

When I was putting our family Bowl pool together, half of the schedules have the Celebration Bowl, and half don’t. I know the game is being played at noon today. Is it a bowl game, or isn’t it? It’s not FBS, which may be why many do not consider it a bowl,but it’s not a FCS playoff game. It is practically ignored by ESPN and the media. What gives?

As someone who grew up in Orangeburg when SC State football was dominant in the MEAC, I look forward to watching this game. And the halftime show should be AWESOME.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really weird to me that they would give up their

Dec 15, 2018, 9:36 AM

auto bid to the playoffs to play in a "Bowl" game like that.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Really weird to me that they would give up their

Dec 15, 2018, 9:45 AM

The winner is the HBCU National Champion

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which they made up, no?

Dec 15, 2018, 10:00 AM

It's just weird to me. Like they segr...uh, removed themselves from the rest of FCS. I guess I can understand it if they weren't competitive at all.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ivy League also does it***

Dec 15, 2018, 12:36 PM

Yeah the Ivy League doesn't play in the FCS playoffs either

Dec 15, 2018, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Really weird to me that they would give up their ]

They and the Swac/Meac. Not sure why

Ivy League doesn't do postseason play, period

Dec 15, 2018, 12:42 PM

Maybe for academic reasons?

$$$

Dec 15, 2018, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Really weird to me that they would give up their ]

It’s all about the money. There was a good article about A&T and whether they would pick the bowl or the playoffs. If I remember they make 500k in the bowl and fairly nothing for the playoff. That makes it an easy decision.

$$$

Dec 15, 2018, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Really weird to me that they would give up their ]

It’s all about the money. There was a good article about A&T and whether they would pick the bowl or the playoffs. If I remember they make 500k in the bowl and fairly nothing for the playoff. That makes it an easy decision.

Re: ESPN racist? What about the Celebration Bowl?

Dec 15, 2018, 12:31 PM

“Racist” - the word that has been so overused that it has lost all meaning whatsoever. The reality is no one gives a #### about the HBCU championship, at least not enough people to market it in any way.

It also isn't an official championship

Dec 15, 2018, 12:40 PM

You'd have to go all the way back to 1997 to find a unanimous HBCU champion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_college_football_national_championship

Dec 15, 2018, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN racist? What about the Celebration Bowl? ]

Yeah nothing racist about having anything with the word black in it that excludes all other races.Just imagine if we had a United Caucasian College Fund or a White Miss America. Yep we sure are racist aren't we?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2018, 1:24 PM

Nope...I'm gonna stay away... go get me a drank...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do realize that HBCU's aren't actually exclusively black right?

Dec 15, 2018, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN racist? What about the Celebration Bowl? ]

It's the high majority but other races can enroll at them if they want.

The holder who screwed up earlier was a white dude.***

Dec 15, 2018, 2:53 PM

I'm about the furthest thing from an SJW, but

Dec 15, 2018, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN racist? What about the Celebration Bowl? ]

HBCU's exist for a reason, and stand today as a testament to the strength and determination of people who were very much discriminated against. They are not closed to white students, they just aren't generally going to be the first choice for many white students.

I do wonder how good this A&T team is, though. They beat ECU this year.

Re: I'm about the furthest thing from an SJW, but

Dec 15, 2018, 3:19 PM

One of the worst games I've ever watched in Death Valley was in 16 vs S.Carolina St. The Athletic Department should be ashamed for charging tiger fans money to watch that crap

Dec 15, 2018, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN racist? What about the Celebration Bowl? ]

You understand HBCUs were founded specifically because black students were prohibited from enrolling at schools like Clemson and Coot U, right? White folks are more than welcome to attend classes at HBCUs; they just aren't historically representative of the student body.

Shame, it's been a good game.***

Dec 15, 2018, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN racist? What about the Celebration Bowl? ]

I'm from the Burg....please shut up...***

Dec 15, 2018, 2:11 PM

Dec 15, 2018, 3:09 PM

Celebration Bowl is on ABC in my area. Aren’t ESPN and ABC owned by the same parent company? I don’t see anything wrong here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2018, 3:10 PM

Celebration Bowl is on ABC in my area. Aren’t ESPN and ABC owned by the same parent company? I don’t see anything wrong here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic