Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Really is a disgrace Saban hires Durkin
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Really is a disgrace Saban hires Durkin

Dec 13, 2018, 6:55 PM

Even if Durkin has nothing to do with the players death, it is just bad optics and way too soon after it happened. I mean do you really need Durkin that bad?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disgrace? Think that might be a bit of an overreaction.

Dec 13, 2018, 7:10 PM

Seems like the guy may have got caught up in PR madness. What exactly did Durkin do wrong?

From what I gather from a Baltimore Sun article that goes into the specifics... here is the controversy...

Medical experts have said McNair’s health could have hinged on Maryland’s adherence to medical guidelines for treating heatstroke, including cold-water immersion. Athletic director Damon Evans said at a news conference Aug. 14 that McNair’s treatment did not include cold-water immersion.

The judgment and organization of the university’s athletic training staff have been called into question. A memo obtained by The Sun showed that a proposal to place the athletic trainers under the supervision of the university’s medical school in Baltimore was never implemented.

From this... the entire narrative about "toxic culture" and "systemic problems" grew.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disgrace? Think that might be a bit of an overreaction.

Dec 13, 2018, 7:15 PM

Your right he probably had nothing to do with the death. With that being said it’s still fresh in the media and he was the HC. At least wait a bit

I respect it when people ignore PR madness and stick to the

Dec 13, 2018, 7:16 PM

facts.
I don't know enough to be confident in this particular case, but I have yet to see anything about Durkin that suggests he has anything to do with the player's death, or that he should have been fired.

Agree

Dec 13, 2018, 8:18 PM

I don't think the OP meant anything by the use of "bad optics" but that word triggers me. Screw bad optics. Our entire society these last 3-4 years have been just looking for a reason to get triggered and outraged. If you flirt with a lady in the office, all of a sudden it's sexual harassment. I suppose lack of oversight of your training staffs procedure equals murder. Horse$hit. It's all horse$hit.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s pretty clear he’s a scumbag

Dec 13, 2018, 8:29 PM

even if he wasn’t directly responsible for the kid’s death.

Identity politics.***

Dec 13, 2018, 9:52 PM [ in reply to Agree ]

Re: Disgrace? Think that might be a bit of an overreaction.

Dec 13, 2018, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Disgrace? Think that might be a bit of an overreaction. ]

He got paid the big bucks and the buck stopped at him.

So it the AD's fault too then? The BOT?***

Dec 13, 2018, 9:50 PM

Re: Really is a disgrace Saban hires Durkin

Dec 13, 2018, 7:21 PM

https://youtu.be/4TepQfqURyY

A+ for relevance

Dec 13, 2018, 7:28 PM

and prophecy

i Agree. Bama has little to no conscience.

Dec 13, 2018, 7:25 PM

They accept transfers that were thrown off other teams for felony assault.
They accept that their players get busted for stolen guns.
They accept drinking and driving.
They accept coaches as consultants that do not reflect well on the school. This is not the first one.

It’s not new and is simply a win at all cost mentality.
I personally believe there is a line that I would not want Clemson to cross and Dabo does not go anywhere near that line.

Durkin probably did get caught up in the backlash - but when you are the head of any org - that comes with the territory. Clearly - there were treatment issues at Maryland that were his doing. But my question to Saban and Bama is what does he bring that so many others with clean records do not?

Will be hire the Ohio state disgraced coach?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, Meyer is done coaching

Dec 13, 2018, 7:30 PM

So Saban will hire him as a $3M/yr “consultant”

Re: i Agree. Bama has little to no conscience.

Dec 13, 2018, 8:27 PM [ in reply to i Agree. Bama has little to no conscience. ]

The medical staff does what the head man says.

Re: i Agree. Bama has little to no conscience.

Dec 13, 2018, 8:47 PM [ in reply to i Agree. Bama has little to no conscience. ]

Saban runs a carwash for coaches that carry baggage. Has a history of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2018, 8:36 PM

Durkin will be busy the next 2-1/2 weeks dissecting every play Clemson ran this year to set up Saban's game plan for the practice week before the NC. I'm sure Saban doesn't believe ND can beat Clemson and if they do, ND won't be a problem. Hey Nick, you have to beat OU first.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2018, 10:57 PM

I think he is accountable for the kids death. He fostered an environment of ridicule, shame, abuse and disregard for players safety. You have a player who is exhausted and can't finish his punishment, and a coach tells them they will drag their ### off as they have no right to be on their field.

Granted theer are times a rabid press can distort the facts, but not in this case. How can you foster a coaching style like that and not be accountable. Then for saban to hire him, tells you enough about his priorities. SMH

Dec 13, 2018, 11:06 PM

The facts seem to lean toward Durkin not being to blame in the death. I don't care about the p.c. whiners who made him take the fall.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic