Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Really? They need to ask this?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Really? They need to ask this?

Mar 8, 2019, 8:04 AM

https://www.tomahawknation.com/platform/amp/2019/3/8/18255566/florida-state-football-recruiting-news-florida-state-clemson-spring-taggart-briles-junior-day

"Florida State football, recruiting news: Florida State or Clemson? Which is the better job?"

Hmmmm... Maybe we should ask the team with the coaches that haven't left.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing to see here

Mar 8, 2019, 8:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Really? They need to ask this?

Mar 8, 2019, 9:02 AM

I think it's an interesting question, and one that FSU would have won in a landslide just a few years ago. Certainly if I was a head coach and had the opportunity to go to either school, you'd have to think that Clemson would have a better short term outlook. Clemson has somewhat better facilities and just a positive vibe right now. But FSU has been good in the past and has shown in the past that they desire and are willing to do what it takes to have a top notch program. Also bigger enrollment than Clemson (and thus likely alumni donations) and better recruiting grounds (you're not trying to convince in state kids to leave the state of Florida).

It's really close, but of course my Clemson bias would lead me to choose the Tigers!

Mar 8, 2019, 9:56 AM

I hear all of your points but consider these:

Clemson has now been good (really good) under multiple coaches in different eras.

FSU had one HOF coach and a guy who did well for one year shortly after the first guy left.

The recruiting territory thing is not what it once was because who wouldn't want to be in the proximity to some areas in Georgia that Clemson is currently.

Also, other than being able to say they are staying "in state", how is moving to Tallahassee much different than moving to Clemson when you are from southern Florida?

Also rumblings that admin is not so willing to "do what it takes" and that caused Jimbo to flame out and bail.

I too am biased but I don't think that FSU of the 90s with Bowden counts when considering which program is better suited to be successful now.

Mar 8, 2019, 10:29 AM

Good points. The recruiting gap probably is not as big as it once was. I believe we recruit quite a few out of Tampa and other areas in Florida farther north than Miami though, and I think there are probably more 4 and 5* recruits within a 4 hour radius of FSU than Clemson, but I may be mistaken. A few hours makes a big difference for family members trying to drive to see you play 7 weekends a year. I'm sure there is a bit of draw for out of state kids to come to "sunny Florida" to play, even though Tallahassee is not exactly on a beach.

There is no doubt the success of Ford and now Swinney has made a huge difference in the perception of Clemson! Clemson is no doubt in the upper tier of schools right now in a prime position for continued success.

Mar 8, 2019, 10:41 AM

Within 4 hours FSU has Jacksonville, southern GA, and Alabama.

Clemson has Atlanta and Charlotte.

Based on recent recruits from the Atlanta area I'm not sure FSU is winning the 4 hour distance.

Tampa and Orlando are just over 4 hours so if you expand you driving distance a little then FSU probably has more elite recruits available.

Once you are getting 4 and a half to 5 hours away it's not exactly a quick trip for families though.

Also when I visited Tallahassee it reminded me more of Columbia SC than "sunny Florida".

I played baseball with a lot of guys from Florida in college. They barely even consider Tallahassee part of Florida unless they were from the area.

FSU doesn’t have as much $ as you think

Mar 8, 2019, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Really? They need to ask this? ]

Their media talks about it frequently that since they were a women’s college until the 50’s and didn’t get really good at football until the 80’s or 90’s that they don’t have a developed donor base (big $ donors) like the other blue blood programs. Also why they play a lot of neutral site games instead of home and homes because they need the money.

It really should be easy to win at FSU

Mar 8, 2019, 9:07 AM

Every imaginable advantage when it comes to recruiting. That leads me to two reactions:
smh at the state of FSU football
smh at what Dabo has been able to build

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: It really should be easy to win at FSU

Mar 8, 2019, 10:01 AM

FSU is at least 4 hours from the recruiting hot beds in south Florida.

FSU is 8 hours from Miami. Clemson is 12 hours from Miami.

What is the big difference there for the Miami kids?

Clemson is just over 2 hours from Atlanta.

That is a huge advantage to Clemson with the talent coming out of the Atlanta area right now.

Mar 8, 2019, 9:11 AM

No, they don’t need to ask this. They already know the answer. Bobby Bowden built that program. People forget how lousy FSU was before Bobby Bowden. It didn’t take long for Jimbo to tear down what Bobby built. The lesson is, people matter. FSU is the example of what happens with the wrong people. Clemson is the example of what happens with the right people. They know. Playing dumb doesn’t change reality, but for some reason, PR people seem to have embraced playing dumb as the go to move in the 21st century. I think it’s a coping mechanism for the “everybody gets it trophy crowd”. Playing dumb is the go to move for people that shirk personal responsibility. Low standards beget more low standards. FSU has tolerated too many low standards for too long and now those low standards have become who they are. You get what you tolerate. Until FSU gets someone in there that will “man up”, and demand personal responsibility, all day, every day, in all things, until then, FSU will be more of the same.

Mar 8, 2019, 10:03 AM

Based on what I have heard I would give administration a huge assist to Jimbo in tearing it down.

1996 called...they want their ego back

Mar 8, 2019, 9:59 AM

They do have Billy Powell aka Osceola (an Alabama native) & Still a Ft Moultrie, SC resident

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic