Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
RIP Clemson men’s basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

RIP Clemson men’s basketball

Mar 16, 2019, 1:09 PM

Brownlee does not have the “it” factor. He is not very engaging when he talks on tv. I’m not sure any big time recruit would ever play for him wherever he coached. The only reason we did so well last year was because we were hitting 3 point shots at an unusual high rate.
It’s frustrating to watch us play. Watching unc and duke last night showed what real basketball is. Great game.
Let Dabo be a dual coach or something. What we got now ain’t working. It will get us NIT the years we don’t make ncaa. But we are at our ceiling now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you Don’t like Brownell

Mar 16, 2019, 1:27 PM

Understood

But please make a cogent comment on why you don’t think he will ever be a great coach.

Do you really think kids make decisions on where to go based upon a TV interview? Really? That comment is simply Laughable!

Let’s see Dabo take Clemson’s basketball tradition, pathetic resources, poor support by students/Administration, terrible in state recruiting options, and then compete each week against multiple teams form a conference that is by far the best in the country full of Hall of Fame coaches.

And by the way, not allow him to cheat against the likes of most schools around him that do.

But yeah, Its easy to see the similarities between football and basketball.......

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you Don’t like Brownell

Mar 16, 2019, 1:41 PM

The instate recruiting isn't as bad as we make it out to be. There are some really good players playing all over the country from SC. Why did we miss on them? Why didn't we offer all of them? Two of the best players in the nation are from SC. We have talent in our state, but Brownell has failed to sign and/or identify them. We loss on a 5* last year to Tennessee. The facilities excuse can't be used anymore, and we were coming off a Sweet 16 appearance. We had everything going and he still failed to sign a top guy.

Mar 16, 2019, 1:52 PM [ in reply to you Don’t like Brownell ]

Not really trying to argue anything here with you, but I'm curious if you remember the period for UNCheat between Dean Smith retiring, and the hiring of Roy Williams.

I might get this wrong because I don't care that much about that school. Dean's assistant was not that bad, and they seemed to do okay while he was HC. But then they hired someone that they thought might be a great coach, and he flopped and lost a lot of games. *Note: CLEMSON could not even beat them at Chapel Hill during his short tenure.

But then, UNCheat realized they had to compete, and to do that, they had to go after the right coach. I think Roy was at Kansas or somewhere, and they paid a ton to get him. The rest is history.

Bama did the same when they fired Shula (?) and hired Saban.

If you get the right coach, people realize that he's a winner, and BAM! You're suddenly a success.

If you're still in doubt how to make it work, just re-read this until it becomes clear. The caveat is that CLEMSON Admin has a history of finding the diamond in the rough coach, and hoping they were Nostradamus, so we can expect more of the same from our next coach. Sorry to break the crushing realization to you, but you might as well know before the storm hits.

Mar 16, 2019, 2:23 PM

IMO an established, big name coach from a major college would not risk his career/reputation by taking a chance at Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ben Howland is at Miss St

Mar 16, 2019, 2:34 PM

Barnes at Tenn, Crean at Jawja, how are those schools much different from us in hoops?

We know the tired excuses and overused talking points.

Mar 16, 2019, 6:43 PM [ in reply to you Don’t like Brownell ]

Though I don't agree with most of your assertions.

But not being a cheater is a new one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we Know the tired and lame reasons

Mar 16, 2019, 7:07 PM

You think BB is a bad coach. So I guess we are even.

BB is probably the cleanest coach in the country and easiest the cleanest Clemson has ever had.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn't aware that anyone other than Tates and Cliff

Mar 16, 2019, 7:10 PM

even had any suspicions about them in regards to cheating

I wasn't aware that anyone other than Tates and Cliff

Mar 16, 2019, 7:10 PM [ in reply to we Know the tired and lame reasons ]

even had any suspicions about them in regards to cheating

Mar 16, 2019, 7:12 PM [ in reply to you Don’t like Brownell ]

I'm assuming he watched the ACC coaches at the table on ESPN. I agree. I didn't see all of it, but milk toast is what you see from my view point. At one point, the GT coach and BB both said they liked the idea of letting kids out of school whenever they felt they were ready to try the NBA. Both Brad and GT coach were in agreement. But Hamilton from FlaSt felt ,strongly, different. He presented his point. I liked it better, much better. But the point of this is . . . .both Brad and GT coach then tried to ride in on the coat tail of what Hamilton said. LOL Even though it was completely opposite of what they said first. Too funny. So you got a good idea of how strong of a personality BB has.

Mar 17, 2019, 2:03 PM [ in reply to you Don’t like Brownell ]

Resources???

Re: RIP Clemson men’s basketball

Mar 16, 2019, 1:40 PM

When I state similar things (for the past 4-5 years) with those that support CBB, I feel like I'm debating with Cortez (AOC) or Pelosi. While their arguments cannot be invalidated completely on the spot, it takes a lot of energy to try to spell it out for them and hope they can understand it.

Example:
How are you going to pay for it - oh, we'll just print more money.
Uh - well, you cannot just print more money, or you'll be like Germany when they did that and their economy broke.

When they argue that CBB is really good at coaching, and if he had their players, and they had our players, then CLEMSON would win those games. Well, duh. This cannot be proven or invalidated because it will never happen.

And when they argue that if CLEMSON had the tradition that Duke or UNC have in BBall, then CLEMSON would get the blue chip recruits. Well that cannot happen either, so we cannot invalidate their argument.

And the argument that if we wait 17 years like FSU did, then we would get to the NCAA, is beyond comprehension IMO. That's like Stephen Hawking predicting the world will end in a million years or whatever he said. Nobody alive today will be alive to invalidate his stupid prediction. Waiting 8 more years in hopes of making the NCAA tourney is beyond anything I can possibly comprehend. I hope those that have this argument are not in a position in their company such that they actually make decisions.

I have no clue what point you’re making

Mar 16, 2019, 7:10 PM

But I’m happy that you spent a few minutes with that disfunctional response.

Go find another coach. Frankly, Clemson doesn’t deserve a quality coach or at least this fan base on T-net doesn’t.

Mar 16, 2019, 2:00 PM

RIP Clemson men’s basketball [1]
Posted: Mar 16, 2019 1:09 PM

Brownlee does not have the “it” factor. He is not very engaging when he talks on tv. I’m not sure any big time recruit would ever play for him wherever he coached. The only reason we did so well last year was because we were hitting 3 point shots at an unusual high rate.
It’s frustrating to watch us play. Watching unc and duke last night showed what real basketball is. Great game.
Let Dabo be a dual coach or something. What we got now ain’t working. It will get us NIT the years we don’t make ncaa. But we are at our ceiling now.

please find an other hobby. you are no tiger fan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My guess is I have been a Clemson

Mar 16, 2019, 7:12 PM

Fan longer than you’ve been alive.

But I supposed you’re able to determine my Tiger worthiness by my post. Maybe you should be the next BB coach as you’re obviously clairvoyant.

Mar 16, 2019, 2:14 PM

Can someone who speaks dumbarse rube translate for he rest of our fanbase?

I admire loyalists who, for some unknownn reason, can ignore

Mar 16, 2019, 3:07 PM

a long, proven track record of mediocrity, and think that Brownell led Clemson teams will somehow start being better than they've ever been. I mean, I guess anything is possible, but no rational, objective person can make a case for Brownell at this point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I admire loyalists who, for some unknownn reason, can ignore

Mar 16, 2019, 3:33 PM

a long, proven track record of mediocrity, and think that Brownell led Clemson teams will somehow start being better than they've ever been. I mean, I guess anything is possible, but no rational, objective person can make a case for Brownell at this point.

Actually our recruiting has improved since we invested in a facility. This is basically year two of the tenure so it is hard to see how a rational person would want to walk at this point knowing our admin will not spend what it would take to bring in a big gun and a coach from the horizon league would not likely do as well as CBB

I’m not rationale????

Mar 16, 2019, 7:14 PM [ in reply to I admire loyalists who, for some unknownn reason, can ignore ]

Now that was funny.

Mar 16, 2019, 5:09 PM

Because of his contract BB will have one more year before buy-out. Looks bleak for him. What has done him in is inability to close a game. Basically, he chokes. Lets players free lance too much. Just does not have what it takes . We need a dynamic, young coach. Make it worth his while to STAY at Clemson. If you can spend 45 million on an old arena, you can sure as hell do whatever it requires to go after someone special. Money talks and BS walks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The money we spent on Littlejohn isn't that much.

Mar 17, 2019, 3:40 PM

Virginia spent three times as much on their new arena.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Whats so great about two teams combining to go 9-47

Mar 16, 2019, 7:16 PM

from 3?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2019, 7:18 PM

and who is this Brownlee you speak of, do not see him at CU??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This post could just as well be dated May 8, 1953 ...***

Mar 16, 2019, 8:28 PM

That’s the day the ACC was formed and Clemson became a charter member with absolutely no plans or desire to support a competitive basketball program.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one messes with football

Mar 17, 2019, 2:38 PM

Don't even think about it. Do you actually think Clemson is going to pay a basketball coach more than Dabo's base salary? Well...to get Coach K, you'll pay him almost $8M/yr. I agree that something needs to change, but I don't have the answers, except that football should not be touched.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic