Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban

Nov 29, 2018, 8:02 AM

in sending your kids to Clemson when you are a 2nd generation legacy at OSU. This has to be gold for recruiting.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban

Nov 29, 2018, 9:31 AM

....assuming OSU would hold a preferred walk on spot for them. Our team is filled with coaches and espn personality sons. Why is Will Swinney on the team????

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 9:33 AM

Is this a serious question? Why wouldn't he be?

Nov 29, 2018, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

Holder is a pretty important position. Watch our snaps on FGs and XPs sometimes and you will know why.

Also very few walkons are actually competitive enough athletically to see the field. Why not take high profile kids who get your program good publicity? Also why not take staff members' kids who give your program a family feel?

Nov 29, 2018, 9:43 AM

You are right about the holder position being important. Just watch the last game and see the hands it took for Will to get some of those snaps down for successful kicks. I think he would be on the team as a walk on even if his last name wasn't Swinney. The fact that it is, gives me no problem whatsoever. It's a two way street, as well. If Will didn't think his dad was a great coach, he would have gone elsewhere and played ball, can't be easy being coached up by your dad in front of all those people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 11:00 AM

Cmon, the Swinney kids aren't playing for any D1 program in the country besides Clemson. The only reason they are on the team is because of Dabo.

Nov 29, 2018, 11:05 AM

Cmon, the Swinney kids aren't playing for any D1 program in the country besides Clemson. The only reason they are on the team is because of Dabo.

We’re 1.000 on extra points this year. Too many people blame the kicker when a FG is missed. The snapper, and holder are responsible for putting it in the same spot every time. Huegel is good, but it’s not by accident that we have gotten all of the layups through.

Nov 29, 2018, 11:11 AM

I'm not arguing that the snap/hold is not important - it 100% is very important. Like most teams we could put a number of people back there that can catch a ball. Chase Brice? Hunter? Ben Batson? The Swinneys bros on the team have minimum upside

Nov 29, 2018, 11:15 AM

If you think holding is "catching a ball" then you don't really understand holding.

You say minimum upside and I say minimum downside. They are walkon players that the coach knows will only add to the positive culture and clean image of the football program. You may think all walkons are "good kids" but that isn't always the case.

Nov 29, 2018, 11:22 AM

I mean yes, obviously it's more than catching a ball - but in the big picture it is one of the least important positions on a field. If it's not the least significant position on the field it is very close to it...and if you're going to argue that it is so important shouldn't we have someone back there with superior athletic ability?

Fair point about minimum downside. My only gripe with the situation is the potential to take away a more deserving spot

You are probably the same guy that said the Davis brothers

Nov 29, 2018, 12:15 PM

were wasted schollies.

Seriously - let it go - our guy has earned the right to be above criticism of use of scholarships.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Nov 29, 2018, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

No need for superior athletic ability. Holding is an acquired skill. Being able to perform at the collegiate level is greatly aided by having done so at the high school level. We may have multiple guys who were holders in high school but maybe not. I don't know the answer to that.

I do know that in college, kickers practice kicking for the whole practice. It's not like most high schools where the kicker on practices during team special teams work. For this reason I would rather have a 4th string WR holding instead of a contributor. Any of the guys you mentioned as potential holders would be missing valuable reps at their primary position in order to work with the kicker. In your words, holder isn't very important compared to other positions. For this reason I would rather have a guy who is not needed at WR taking that time to develop chemistry with the snapper and kicker.

Nov 29, 2018, 10:50 PM

Dem bois got great ball skills though.....

Nov 29, 2018, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

You must still think kickers don't deserve scholarships. Very few teams had kickers on scholarship 30 years ago.

Nov 29, 2018, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

I remember this same debate concerning the Davis twins. My son played with them in High School and I said they deserved to be there. Maybe I was just a blind squirrel finding a nut in the woods but I was correct.

I feel the same about Will Swinney...he deserves to be on this team. He's a good ball player. JMHO #allin #GoTigers

So you're telling me we recurit place kicker holders?

Nov 29, 2018, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

Like we're lucky we didn't have to spend a scholarship on Will to get him b/c of his place holding skills. Are other schools recruiting place holders?

Nov 29, 2018, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

Tony Romo had problems w/ the position

Nov 29, 2018, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

Tony Romo had problems w/ the position
But Tote, ive had similar thoughts on use of the ship

Nov 29, 2018, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

and before everyone chirps about Hunter Renfrow, mind you he had multiple offers (app state, gardner webb, presbyterian, wofford). He chose to walk on at clemson and we are all very thankful for that

Nov 29, 2018, 11:11 AM

Unfortunately I think they are going to try to make Swinney into the new Renfrow....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Nov 29, 2018, 11:18 AM

Since Swinney is a sophomore and only plays during garbage time and Renfrow was a starter as a sophomore and played a lot as a redshirt freshman, I am guessing you are wrong. I'm pretty sure the staff is not designing any plays to Will Swinney to try to win a national championship anytime soon.

If you are looking for the next Renfrow type player, then you should check out Brannon Spector who is committed for 2019 and has been told he will get to wear #13 next season.

Nov 29, 2018, 2:12 PM

Hope u r correct, that would be an uncomfortable situation to witness & difficult to justify.

Nov 29, 2018, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

I’m WIll would be a full ride scholly player at coot I.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

The same could be said for that Scott kid back in the day, and we continue to pay for that decision. smh.

Nov 29, 2018, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

Yes, I noticed one particularly bad snap in that game and Will saved it. I will confess that when I heard he was going to be our holder I was concerned but he's been clutch! Has saved us several times.

You're so right, but

Nov 29, 2018, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

You probably grasp the value of chemistry! Others...not so much!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One nightmarish word. MARULLO. Anyone on here

Nov 29, 2018, 9:47 AM

know what (who) I am talking about?

Re: You're so right, but

Nov 29, 2018, 9:50 AM [ in reply to You're so right, but ]

Dabo doesn't do things by accident or on a whim.

Don't sound like a Coot

Nov 29, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

EVERY TEAM IN THE NATION would take these 2 kids as PREFERRED Walkons.

Dad's paying their way .

will was a walkon,most likely will be one next season(don't know). The reason he's on scholarship this year, in August we were down to 79 scholarship players and certain walkons were given scholarships because of it.

Nov 29, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

there are two sides to this. On the one hand, we are limited, are we not, to the number of players permitted. Why give limited slots to those who are not likely to contribute?

On the other hand, it does not matter what Herbie says/does on the air about his sons being here, folks will know and it makes a huge statement. Forget that Herbie is 2nd or 3rd generation OSU player, he is a well known figure in sports and he either allowed or convinced his sons that playing for Dabo at Clemson is better than anything else they might get. If this is not a contribution, I dont know what is. And in the scheme of things, if Dabo intends to be here long term, those two slots for that kind of publicity is hard to beat.

Nov 29, 2018, 10:03 AM

There are not D1 caliber players lining up to pay money to come to Clemson instead of taking a full ride to another school. 9 out of 10 walkons will never contribute. There is a reason that Renfrow is a sensation and it is because his type of story almost never happens.

Kirk's kids are taking the place of two kids who would consider turning down a scholarship to places like Newberry to come to Clemson. It does not hurt the roster.

In all honesty, they probably know a lot about football and will be excellent at learning plays to run scout team and giving our starters a good look to prepare for games.

Nov 29, 2018, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

Eighty five scholarship players that includes no walk-ons can cause problems if a school is recruiting at a high level. As an example, we had three QBs (Cooper, Johnson & Israel) leave the program because there was better talent ahead of them. Of course, there is less substitution at this position than at most other positions. If there is talent in those in the 60 - 85 range and they are getting limited playing time, they may want to transfer to a school where they can get more playing time and exposure. Currently, we have four RBs getting extensive playing time and a couple more who have had a few carries in mop up duty. This is not the norm at most schools where there is a featured RB who garners most of the carries. Just imagine the total yardage ETN would have had if he had 100 more carries.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 3:47 PM

Running back by committee is now the norm. The days of one man carrying the rock are over.

Will Swinney earned his spot on the team.***

Nov 29, 2018, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I wouldn't say 6 is "filled"

Nov 29, 2018, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

Nov 29, 2018, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: so that has to be a pretty big FU to old Urban ]

Why shouldn't he be?

Nov 29, 2018, 9:46 AM

You are correct, sir. And, everytime Urban shows up on TV, it makes me wonder even more, what the hail kind of snow job did Florida do on Tim Tebow all those years ago? Just seems like Tebow would have seen through him. Had to be the lure of playing big time football close to home.

That wasn't Urban ,that was TB telling Dabo to stop

Nov 29, 2018, 9:49 AM

recruiting Tebow.

Reading Tebow's book, it was down to Fla and Bama at the

Nov 29, 2018, 9:57 AM

end. Seeing as how Mike Shula was the coach at Bama at the time, with how things turned out for all concerned, Tebow made the wise choice, for him. But, its a helluva what if, with him as Bama QB, could Shula still be coaching at Bama? Pretty sure the results there would have been much better than they were. This means that Saban would have made his return to college football at another school, wow, what an incredible alternate timeline could be built around this scenario.

Dabo had already been made to back off by his boss by then.

Nov 29, 2018, 10:07 AM

Accuse me of Drinking Orange Koolaid and wearing Orange glasses, but I'd just have to believe that Dabo and TT's Missionary Parents were a hit.

Re: Reading Tebow's book, it was down to Fla and Bama at the

Nov 29, 2018, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Reading Tebow's book, it was down to Fla and Bama at the ]

Lovecraft could write a total anthology of "alternate" history concerning Big Time College Football... Now THAT would be a Christmas gift!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tfrue, but they're 3rd generation Buckeyes

Nov 29, 2018, 9:48 AM

Grandpa played at OSU also.

I like how this totally ruined urbane's big win

Nov 29, 2018, 10:27 AM

Over mitchagain.

Will be interesting to see

Nov 29, 2018, 10:55 AM

if Dabo uses them as hosts on recruiting visits for years to come. Could be an awesome weapon if a kid is considering OSU to stay with Herby's kids.

Another jokey post, huh TB ? What does Furman have

Nov 29, 2018, 12:12 PM

to do with it and the kids would be 3rd generation . . . .

Math is hard.

hywiath

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Nov 29, 2018, 1:23 PM

If your kids had options and could go elsewhere you’d be smart to keep them away from Meyer. He’s known to not have the best of morals.

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic