Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CLEMSON is actually the cause of this current complaining
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,501

CLEMSON is actually the cause of this current complaining

Jan 1, 2019, 3:27 PM

about the "same two teams' being in the championship game." Peel away the eye candy of the various reasons for the Bama/Clemson fatigue, and you will find that it is really CLEMSON'S rise that is fueling it.

I believe I heard it while watching ESPN's Coaches Room recording of the Cotton Bowl (think that is what it is called) that these two teams are once again there...but they represent a standard.

Alabama has been reigning king for a LONG time. Their return was heralded ad nauseum...and their stay has been celebrated year in and year out, with only an occasional "complaint" that a new king might be better for the sport. Around the water coolers, you might have found those who said they "hated" Bama because, well, they probably were indeed sick of Bama...but it was mainly because they wanted their own team to be like Bama. But they would finish their water cooler conversations by conceding Bama's semi-professional status and destiny to "be Bama."

But, IMO, the loud cries about the Bama/Clemson "monopoly" can only be connected to CLEMSON. Someone might throw out a little nugget of complaint about Bama's dominance being bad for college football, but that is only to help legitimize their argument. IMO, this is mainly a complaint about CLEMSON'S presence.

Why? Well, because Bama is Bama. We just have to accept their dominance. But CLEMSON? No way. They are not destined to be king. They don't have the pedigree or the destiny for that. If CLEMSON can be that good, anyone can. And it's high time ________ [fill in the blank with your favorite team] was in the Top 2. People don't mean that it's time for ________ [fill in the blank with your favorite team] to replace BAMA in the Top 2; they mean it time for said team to replace CLEMSON. They won't admit to that in their arguments, but all of this complaining didn't start until CLEMSON started to be a regular in the Final Four.

This won't last forever for either Bama or Clemson. Nothing does. We do need to enjoy this journey, for sure. But CLEMSON has actually shown itself to be a different type of dominant force; we are in ways opposite of Bama. If we can keep it up, maybe the opinions will change to more respect, but right now, we still have pockets of disrespect out there...that CLEMSON SHOULDN'T be one of the final two at the end of the year.

Truth be told, I suspect most of the nation will be Bama fans on Monday night.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

only 2 state wamt us to win SC 7 rhode Is.***

Jan 1, 2019, 3:31 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: only 2 state wamt us to win SC 7 rhode Is.***

Jan 1, 2019, 3:36 PM

I thought that was for the Cotton Bowl. I would expect many more states would be pulling for Clemson just my guess though. Most of the mid western states I hope would not pull for an sec team but who knows for sure.

Everyone wants a chance to pull Excalibur from the stone...

Jan 1, 2019, 3:35 PM

...when Clemson wielded the mighty Excalibur the opportunity was lost until....

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CLEMSON is actually the cause of this current complaining

I feel confident about this one for a myriad of reasons ... but something tells me we are in for yea ... another classic and close contest .

Clemson by 4 in the end , 31-27 .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I feel confident about this one for a myriad of reasons ... but something tells me we are in for yea ... another classic and close contest .

Clemson by 4 in the end , 31-27 .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 1, 2019, 3:37 PM

Interesting analysis! Thanks!

Jan 1, 2019, 3:43 PM

Could not disagree more. People are sick of Bama. Everyone on the way back from Dallas, from the stewardess who annouanced on the PA "this is flight AA1243, better know as the Clemson Tigers charter flight, now go and beat Bama", to the A&M fan in the airport who says it goes without saying we are pulling for you, to the Miami fan who said we love your long haired QB.
It is Bama people are tired of the the way ESPN pushes them constantly.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But the complaining didn't start until Clemson became a

Jan 1, 2019, 3:57 PM

mainstay. And Clemson is being targeted along with Bama in these arguments. If they were tired of just Bama, they would say so.

So perhaps we can just point at ESPN for this Bama/Clemson fatigue talk, but, nevertheless, it didn't start until Clemson's repeated appearance.

Jan 1, 2019, 4:04 PM

Great post... I've got to disagree with you on one point. I think we will maintain a top 5 program as long as we have Dabo and the boosters stay out of the recruiting. Barring injury, I expect us to make the playoffs every other year while Swinney is the head guy. Venables might become a Clemson "lifer" if we can keep him here for another 5-6 years. The majority of our assistants are young guys who will be able to change with the tides as the game/recruiting continues to evolve. The next 10 years might be ever more dominating than the previous 10.

The only thing I see disrupting the current trend is the Alston v. NCAA case. Contrary to popular opinion Clemson isn't actually as affluent as many other teams in college football. If players start getting paid large sums of money, we might find it harder to recruit and fall to a 20-25 tier program.

Jan 1, 2019, 5:13 PM

You are right. Many schools have super deep pockets we can't compete with. There is a difference between willing to pay players and the ability to pay players.

I think it will be the demise of CFB as we know it. Many P5 teams will have to joint with G5 teams.

Dabo is liked and respected. Saban is respected, but nobody

Jan 1, 2019, 4:06 PM

likes him except Bammers and coots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CLEMSON caused of this complaining- the system works

Jan 1, 2019, 4:13 PM

and has every year the two best teams are playing. We dont need more half a-ed teams to muddy the water and add unnecessary drama. Ga had their chance. UCF should have played someone w a pulse in the regular season

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2019, 4:17 PM

I suspect you’re wrong about most being Bama fans.

I talked to many last night, that are normally SEC flag toters..... all of them were pulling for Clemson

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jan 1, 2019, 5:04 PM

Good post. I see your point, folks are ok conceding to 'bamer, but hate that Clemson is taking their teams spot year after year. I agree nothing lasts forever. It may last for a long time, but not forever.

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,501
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic