Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kind of a silly thing to make a PSA about, but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 390

Kind of a silly thing to make a PSA about, but

Dec 5, 2018, 8:57 AM

he's not wrong....

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/4/18126306/tom-cruise-psa-motion-smoothing-christopher-mcquarrie

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How much work has he had done? Dude is 56***

Dec 5, 2018, 8:58 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't know, but he has a better plastic surgeon than

Dec 5, 2018, 10:07 AM

Kenny Rogers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kenny Rogers is definitely someone that is in favor of

Dec 5, 2018, 10:10 AM

going back to standard def

Anytime I'm at someone's house and notice it I'll

Dec 5, 2018, 9:09 AM

grab the remote and fix it when they're not looking.

It's painful on the eyes.

not all heroes wear vapes***

Dec 5, 2018, 9:15 AM

Re: not all heroes wear vapes***

Dec 5, 2018, 9:47 AM

I love that feature on my TV

Dec 5, 2018, 9:12 AM

I keep it on that mode, it changes how movies look. For the better, IMO.

Awesome to watch an old classic movie you've seen a bunch of times, like Animal House or Star Wars.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's right, but it also brings up another thing I only

Dec 5, 2018, 9:16 AM

recently learned about. First off, we now have 4K HDTV being pushed, which is basically twice the resolution of standard HDTV. I'm NOT a fan. The human eye can not tell ANY difference between HD and 4K HD at any distance. Unless you want to buy an 80 inch 4K HDTV and watch it from 3 feet away, it's stupid. 8+ feet away and you can not tell the difference.

Which brings me to the real revolution, which I would LOVE to see. That is 60FPS video becoming standard. Since the beginning of television and video, the standard framerate for video has always been 29.95 (or 30) frames per second. And for years we watched it and never knew any better. BUT the first people who learned about the visual advantages of higher framerates were gamers. Video games and gamers have always tried to strike a balance between frame rate and resolution. That's what matters. Resolution on TV's has improved with HD, but framerates have remained at 30. But gamers want the highest resolution AND the highest framerate. Cards today can spit out 200 FPS on a HD monitor at standard HD resolution, or push 100 FPS now on a 4K monitor. 100 FPS on a 4k monitor looks AMAZING. And PC monitors are the one place where 4K makes a big difference. TV's notsomuch. You look at a PC monitor from 2 feet away. 10-15 feet often for a TV.

If you haven't watched 60FPS video, try it sometime. Motions become smoother and more natural looking. #### has already started going to 60FPS and frankly, that's where 60FPS makes the biggest difference. PEOPLE moving. Watch a video of someone walking at 30fps and then at 60fps. You will see a huge difference. And the difference is just as big watching sports. Or anything where you have fluid movement.

All things being equal, I'd take 60FPS at HDTV resolution over 30FPS at 4K resolution ANY day.

Here, watch this: (be sure to set the Youtube video setting to 60FPS)

For gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zquClG3j9so

For real life (movies):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq8LbEyehFs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

30 FPS was not so much a standard as what video cards,

Dec 5, 2018, 9:19 AM

operating systems, and systems buses could process video at. It's a standard is like saying 55 mph is standard for an 1960 VW bug, because that's as fast as it could go.

It was also enough to have a higher frame rate

Dec 5, 2018, 9:27 AM

than Movies at the theater, which have been filmed at 24 fps since 1927

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not talking about computers. I'm talking about TV.

Dec 5, 2018, 9:38 AM [ in reply to 30 FPS was not so much a standard as what video cards, ]

Computers have been pushing the FPS level way over 30 for a long time now. BUT, when you watch a movie, even on HD, on your cable TV, it's filmed with the original camera at a frame rate of 30FPS. This is what Tom Cruz is talking about. The TV's today are taking that 30FPS film, filmed at 30FPS, and the TV then processes motion to add frames that are not there to smooth the motion effect. My point is film the movie at 60FPS. Transmit it over your cable TV at 60FPS. Watch it as 60FPS, WITHOUT the interpolation.

The camera on my phone has an option to take video at 60FPS now. I never tried it until recently. I ended up having to buy a faster SD card to get it to work, but the difference in home videos taken on my phone are amazing. If the video, movie, sporting event, whatever, is filmed at 60FPS from the start, there's no need for the motion blurring. You're not adding frames that are not there. You're watching frames that ARE there.

50+ years ago when movies were filmed on...well.....film, 24 FPS was actually set as a standard. The number of frames, and the length of the physical FILM made it unfeasible to film at 60FPS. So they settled on 24. Good enough to see motion clearly, but small enough so you don't have a 10-foot spool of film reeling off in a theater at a ridiculous speed. And this is a worldwide standard by the way. If you want to take a 60FPS film and distribute it in Malaysia, you have to convert it down to 24FPS. Not to mention special effects in movies today do an amazing job editing every single frame at 30FPS. But at 60FPS it's more expensive to add special effects, basically twice the cost as you have twice the frames to edit.

Here, read this article:
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-movies-shown-in-24fps-while-60fps-looks-more-real

But the technology is there right now to make this change, and it is WAY bigger than the difference between HD and 4K HD.

It's weird, and maybe a quirk of my eyesight

Dec 5, 2018, 9:25 AM [ in reply to He's right, but it also brings up another thing I only ]

but the very first time I saw a 4K TV, I did not know what it was, but as I walked by it, I could tell it was different. And I barely notice a difference between the 15, 30 and 60 FPS frame rate.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Next time you're in Best Buy walk over to the display

Dec 5, 2018, 9:48 AM

where they have a 4k HDTV and a standard HDTV side by side. I bet you'll notice the difference. They even had at one time, a little booth you could sit in and see the difference. Even if they don't have a booth, they'll have SOMETHING preventing you from viewing the two side by side at a distance.

Most people watch a large screen TV from across a room, not sitting on the floor 3 feet from it. 10-12 feet or so in a standard room. At 10-12 feet away, you'd need a 100+ inch TV to see any difference at that distance. Here's a chart to show you what I'm talking about.

Let's say you have a 12-foot wide room. You sit on one wall on a couch watching the TV on the far wall. You're around 10 feet from the screen in this scenario. Your eyes will not even START to notice the difference between a standard HDTV on that far wall versus a 4K HDTV until your screen size gets to 80 inches. Any significant difference would only be visible with a 85-100 inch 4K HDTV. Read this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/10/26/upgrading-to-4k-hdr-tv-how-far-you-sit-from-the-screen-is-critical/#2bb24bba1801

For most people, 4K is a total waste. It IS a benefit for computer monitors though because you view them very close.

I hear you, and I'm agreeing that you

Dec 5, 2018, 10:14 AM

are probably technically correct, but literally the first time I saw UHD Tv it made me stop and try and figure out why it was so much better then my 1080P TV

might wanna czech your eyes

Dec 5, 2018, 9:31 AM [ in reply to He's right, but it also brings up another thing I only ]

i can totally tell a difference*

*when watching native 4k stuff, not stuff that's supposedly been upscaled**

**also, I'm comparing 1080p to 4kHDR. Maybe it's the HDR that's standing out, but i don't think so

20-20 last I checked.***

Dec 5, 2018, 9:53 AM

This is another reason why plasma was so much better

Dec 5, 2018, 11:37 AM [ in reply to He's right, but it also brings up another thing I only ]

Unfortunate that they got rid of those true-black beauties

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OLED>Plasma***

Dec 5, 2018, 11:45 AM

But it took all these years for LED to catch up***

Dec 5, 2018, 12:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well yeah. And if we're really getting technical

Dec 5, 2018, 12:52 PM

CRT is better than any of the others.

An enthusiast I know has one of the old 3 tube CRT projectors set up in his house run through all manner of scalers and adapters to output 4K with amazing color reproduction. I think the projector was manufactured somewhere around 1992.

Fallout was a pretty good movie.

Dec 5, 2018, 9:20 AM

I don't see how Tom Cruise keeps doing the stuff he does.

Replies: 21
| visibility 390
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic