Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
my basketball season review (2/3rd's of the way thru)...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

my basketball season review (2/3rd's of the way thru)...

Feb 7, 2019, 1:06 PM

I like to break the season down into 3 parts. Pre-Conference play, first half of ACC play, and 2nd half of ACC play.

In the first 3rd (Pre-ACC), I feel like we never really hit our stride. We lost a few games that looked like good losses but now dont look all that great, especially the loss to Creighton. The others wont hurt us too bad as far as losses but would certainly boost the resume had we won them. 10-3 in the non-conference isnt bad but certainly didnt kill us. I give it a C+.

Now, to the second 3rd of the season (first half of ACC play). We faced one of the toughest stretch of games imaginable with road games at Duke, Syracuse, FSU, NC State, and a home matchup with UVA. The fact that we went 1-5 to start could have wrecked our entire season especially the way we lost the NC State game. But, I believe it is a testament to our players and staff to hold things together, weather the storm, and find a way to reel off 3 straight to put ourselves back into the middle of the ACC pack. After the poor start, winning 3 straight by double digits and holding opponents under 50 twice, i'd say we are in a good spot. I'd give part 2 of our season a B-.

It will be interesting to see what the last 3rd of the season holds. Our schedule is definitely easier than the first half of ACC play but there are plenty of difficult games. I believe we need to win 6 of the final 9 to solidify our spot in the NCAA tourney. This is certainly doable and starts with a home matchup against a depleted Va Tech team. We'll need a B+ final 3rd in order to be where we want to be come march!

Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: my basketball season review (2/3rd's of the way thru)...

Feb 7, 2019, 1:17 PM

The opening part of the conference schedule was BRUTAL. The last three have been easy.

We'll find out more about where we are at home against VT this weekend.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i agree about the easy part...

Feb 7, 2019, 1:39 PM

its no secret that the last 3 games have been easier than the first 6 but in past years we've found ways to lose those kinds of games. it'll be interesting to see if we'll avoid losing games we should win to close out the season

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 1:18 PM

100% correct about the start of the year. They had no face of the team. They looked lost, they were, they lost their scorer from last year. as a team, they looked lost. The start of the ACC didn't help :) Tough, but it isn't much easier from now on out. I've seen some say a .500 ACC is possible, not really seeing that. Would love it though!

Feb 7, 2019, 1:30 PM

I just hope that loss to NCST doesn’t keep us out the dance. So let’s just win 7-8 more games and not have to sweat it. We are about to see what this bunch of SRs are made of . The last 3 games have been great but vs very young teams. We have 3-4 5 year SRs starting and this is their last chance .
There is absolutely no reason why we can’t win every single game left except maybe UNC.
Somebody besides Reed is going to have to step up and start scoring on the mid range and 3s.
I know we get a few here and there but not enough to beat good teams. We need a Devoe to get hot down the stretch.

I know I sound like a broken record, but, IMO, the biggest

Feb 7, 2019, 1:47 PM

hurdle the Tigers face is reducin the huge number of turnovers and offensive fouls committed that severely reduce the number of scoring opporunities by a team that is mediocre offensively at best and still endures lengthy scoring droughts in almost every game. The Tigers played darn good defense (against GaTech (not a very good team incidentally) and rebounded very well---but they still had 12 turnovers and I think Eli had 2 offensive fouls (which is frustratingly beyond belief)

IF Clemson can keep the number of turnovers per game under 10 (around 7 per) and reduce the number of offensive fouls, not only will the scoring opportunities increase, but Eli will probably have more minutes per game

The Tigers are starting to get some points off the bench from Trapp and Newman and fnally getting a bit of offensive consistency from Aamir Sims---who, like Skara, helps the team in a bunch of ways.

Now....don't get me started on free throw consistency---especially, crucial FT's

Go Tigers

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic