Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting trivia for a baseball fan......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,274

Interesting trivia for a baseball fan......

Jun 5, 2019, 1:53 PM

In the Major Leagues there is only ONE logo that is banned from appearing on any uniform. Know what it is.????

No fair googling

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting trivia for a baseball fan......

Jun 5, 2019, 2:13 PM

The Cleveland Indians Native American head.

many years ago

Jun 5, 2019, 2:29 PM

I was continuing my quest for baseball knowledge and did some research on trivial things like this. I learned that it was illegal to have the logo of a BASEBALL on the uniform! I learned early in my studies that pitchers were not allowed to have white sleeves on their throwing arm. I’m not sure that this has ever been strictly enforced because I’m sure I have seen white sleeves on pitchers. I’ve actually called it to the attention of umpires before games and in every case they made the pitcher remove the white sleeve so perhaps it is a rule. Just a few years ago I was watching a very important game between ‘my’ Red Sox and the hated Yankees and prior to that game the Bronx pitcher had painted a white circle,baseball size, on the outside of his glove. The Sox manager called it to the attention of the umps in the first inning and the pitcher was forced to change gloves. Not a happy response from the Yank fans as I recall. As simple as the game appears to be there are many ways to gain a very slight advantage and the sharp baseball minds know this. I miss the college season already. I wish we got a report occasionally on how the Tiger players do in the Cape Cod league. You learn a lot about a player when he goes to the Cape for the summer. First time for most to play with a wooden bat! And believe me, there is a LOT of difference

This postwas more interesting than an entire baseball season***

Jun 5, 2019, 2:35 PM

Re: This postwas more interesting than an entire baseball season***

Jun 5, 2019, 2:57 PM

Thanks. I think!

Baseball is an interesting game when played correctly at any level. I still go to several games a week locally and watch the young kids play. Rarely do they play the game correctly but it’s always important to me to see how the coaches react in these games. Even with a less talented team you can still win and all the kids have fun if you can figure out the game.

Usually coaches in tee ball are dads or guys who know the basic of the game but they do some really weird things with the kids. They always put the guy on first who can catch the best. Makes sense I guess except none of the other players can throw the ball to first! So you take your best player out of the game from the beginning. They seem to never catch on. This usually carries over to coach pitch.

Nothing in the world is better than seeing an eight year old playing baseball in front of the family and neighbors.
And nothing in the world is worse than a little league mother! You wouldn’t believe the names I was called forty years ago.

Re: many years ago

Jun 5, 2019, 3:01 PM [ in reply to many years ago ]

Actually white sleeves on pitchers is strictly enforced. It impedes the batter due to ball and sleeve being same color. Anything that impedes a player is always enforced.

Re: many years ago

Jun 5, 2019, 3:07 PM

Only below the elbow

Few of you chaps

Jun 5, 2019, 3:24 PM

Are old enough to remember the very early days of televised baseball that featured Dizzy Dean and Buddy Blantner
But it was an enjoyable experience that made my early childhood enjoyable. I had already become a student of the game, in my mind, and really learned a lot from those two clowns. If you grew up adoring Seinfeld you missed out on a lot! From them is where I first heard of the white sleeve rule so I knew it was for real. Dizzy once said that a MLB pitcher cut strips in his white sleeve to hide the ball from the batter long enough to distract him. Probably true.

I also remember that Dizzy Dean was probably the most disliked man in America ... by English teachers!
He could slay it.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,274
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic