Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FLASHY AND TRASHY...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 3,393

FLASHY AND TRASHY...

Apr 30, 2015, 6:49 AM

A lot of you have jumped on the bandwagon for the "Chrome" helmets, while most of us ol' farts keep saying to leave it alone. There's a reason for that. What is Dabo trying to do here? He's bringing in good, honest,intelligent, respectable recruits to play at Clemson. They want to play for Clemson! They want to wear the uniform and the paw helmet.

You want flashy and trashy? That's what you get at USuC, Maryland,and at #1, Oregon. Out of the top 10 college uniforms for 2014, only Oregon has a "flashy" helmet. All of the others are traditionalist.

The kind of recruits and players that get hyped up over flashy uniforms/helmets quite often end up in some kind of trouble before they get through their college career. I want Clemson Football to be known for how we play on the field and conduct ourselves off the field. Playing like you're "possessed" when on the field, but humble, intelligent, and respectful off the field. Our coaching staff has done a great job at that. Fans notice! NFL scouts notice! The nation notices!

Keep it simple, traditional, and classic. That's what the Tiger Paw is all about. That's what CLEMSON is all about.

And it will look even better when we bring home a National Championship to go along with that TIGER PAW again!!!

Alright, you can unload on me now!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol. .I thought post would be about Winston. .***

Apr 30, 2015, 6:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: lol. .I thought post would be about Winston. .***

Apr 30, 2015, 7:02 AM

My biggest problem with the chrome helmet is the visibility of the logo. On TV especially it gets washed out and is barely visible except on the very close shots.
The tiger paw is too well known to be lost on flashy

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lol. .I thought post would be about Winston. .***

Apr 30, 2015, 7:13 AM

What if they kept the tiger paw white instead of chroming it? might provide an interesting contrast and stand out more.
Not a huge fan of the chrome but as a one-off thing I guess it's not the worst thing in the world.

I can't speak for others but when it comes to issues such as

Apr 30, 2015, 9:16 AM

this, I just like to play around. My serious stance is I don't want the helmet or uniforms to ever change but I would not be opposed to a "special" game where we did something like this just for kicks. I can imagine how the recruits and players would feel about it so let em have a little fun.

lol my first thought as well***

Apr 30, 2015, 9:51 PM [ in reply to lol. .I thought post would be about Winston. .*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: FLASHY AND TRASHY...

Apr 30, 2015, 6:54 AM

That flashy and trashy in Oregon was in the National Championship game this past season. Having chrome helmets doesn't hurt anything.

there was a time when I didn't mind a little "flashy and

Apr 30, 2015, 9:17 AM

trashy" wink wink

Apr 30, 2015, 6:57 AM

I agree. However, I wouldn't mind seeing the helmet used on occasion...just to mix things up a bit. You are right though...Nothing beats the PAW!

Apr 30, 2015, 7:17 AM

CHROME SUCKS

great for the tarholes and schools of that ilk, not CLEMSON!

Apr 30, 2015, 8:17 AM

usuc has the trashy down to a science. The flashy part, not so much. They have some of the dog ugliest uni's out there, and then to stick a chicken on it makes it even more unappealing. Oregon is flashy, but theirs is just to show off Nike's stuff for which they are paid handsomely. I'll take our unii's just the way they are. We have one of the most, if not the most, well recognized uniforms on the planet. I can't see messing with perfection.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When it comes to the chrome helmets . . .

Apr 30, 2015, 8:23 AM

I'm not just an "ol fart", I would be completely incontinent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll never have Uni's like UMD or USuC's Camo outfits.

Apr 30, 2015, 8:30 AM

But the traditionalists(I'm one) need to realize that there's most likely been extra money paid by Nike to make "special" unis & helmets, within Dabo's guidelines of course.

It's the same helmet for cryin' out loud. Just in chrome.

Apr 30, 2015, 10:51 PM

Giant Tiger Paw....orange chrome...what's not to like?

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2015, 8:31 AM

I agree with you for the most part, however, I see no problem with doing something a little different once a year. Looks like we have pretty much settle in on wearing the purple uniforms on the game near the end of the season where we play The Citadel or someone like that. I have no problem having a "different" helmet once a year for that game!

Re: Lighten up Francis! It's a uniform. Dabo understands,

Apr 30, 2015, 8:51 AM

like everybody should, it's what goes in the uniform that counts. Tradition is great and we have that, and a permanent switch would be worth getting up set about, but not this. To have an extra look for a game here or there is enticing to young people and would generate some excitement. No different than going to the "throwback Uni" in the late 90's. Kids today like unique stuff, and I see no problem with using the helmet from time to time. Overall you keep your traditional look and have an alternative for certain occassions.

They are being sarcastic. This board considers sarcasm as

Apr 30, 2015, 9:13 AM

the highest form of humor, in all seriousness. 90% op those posts are sarcastic and I've grown to like it although I see the potential risks in it. A caveat emptore message in the form of a javascript litebox(or whatever) for that remote chance of a visiting Mom of the no.1 prospect for 20** comes by to share in the Clemson excitement of her son making a visit etc wouldn't hurt a bit. Unnecessary risks are unnecessary remote or not imo.

I'm def old school and want to see Block C win the NC. I think most on here are fine with our tradition?

Reminds me- When do we get to see the DW Emergency signal shine out of the oculus?

Apr 30, 2015, 9:14 AM

Can we drop Nike and pick up a more tamed Russell athletics

"Cool Factor"

Apr 30, 2015, 9:16 AM

Clemson has it, lots of schools don't. I like the traditional look, but that's because Clemson's look is/was already cool.

Some schools, like the ones you referenced had really ugly uniforms to begin with. The only way for them to garner some "Cool Factor" was to go all contemporary/flashy. Oregon's uniforms without all the flash...wow, so intimidating. Same goes for MD. USuCk's are always terrible, even their flashy versions don't have a "Cool Factor" look. Clemson, UGA, FSU have it.

I wouldn't mind seeing the orange-chrome helmets once, but then again I like our traditional look even better.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yawn***

Apr 30, 2015, 9:21 AM

Apr 30, 2015, 9:22 AM

I agree with everything you've said...somewhat, and our tradition speaks for itself. The paw is our tradition, which the chrome helmet does include. I would also suggest the paw be white, like several other posters have.

You mention most kids who like flash and trash end up in some sort of trouble over their careers, and it may attract attention of some "unwanted" recruits...while I somewhat agree, it shouldn't be left up to us fans. If we took a poll from the coaching staff and players, I'd assume higher than 80% would approve it for at least one game. I think the kids on our roster are all quality kids as well as athletes, and I'm sure many other "quality" recruits would take notice as well. There's nothing wrong with polishing our tradition a little here a there. The game has evolved much more these days versus 10-15 years ago.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's how I likes my wimmens! Woo Hoo!***

Apr 30, 2015, 10:59 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama and Auburn say hey***

Apr 30, 2015, 11:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Well said

Apr 30, 2015, 11:07 AM

Keep it classy and traditional....works for Bama, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure if these count as traditional...

Apr 30, 2015, 12:18 PM

Maybe they do...I'm not familiar with everyone's tradition. But if those teams can do it once in a blue moon, so can we...

Bama's 2013 black out:

LSU gold helmets:

Oklahoma (doesn't seem traditional, maybe?):

In a world where chick-fil-a matters to recruits...

Apr 30, 2015, 12:08 PM

The preference of "old farts" should be the least of our staff's concern.

I'm not saying we ditch tradition and do away with our unis, but breaking something like this out when we earn a spot in the playoff or something seems like a legit option.

Our players want it, recruits want it, but some fans that never want anything to change...guess who I'm gonna go with.

Dabo's established the Clemson brand. We're in the playoff discussion and always up there in recruiting. A one off uni once a season shouldn't make any of you go into cardiac arrest, boycoot (yes coot) our team, or otherwise cause you physical harm... If it were left up to some of you, you wouldn't change ANYTHING about Clemson including campus editions and would risk sabotaging our success and intrigue from recruits...NO THANK YOU!

If the team wants it, let them have it.

it should be up to the players, wouldn't want to loose

Apr 30, 2015, 12:12 PM

A recruit because of the uniform, use it as a recruiting tool like Oregon has done

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good greif

Apr 30, 2015, 12:16 PM

the chrome helmets would just be a once a season deal at most, this argument is as stupid as the purple uni's debate.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Apr 30, 2015, 12:26 PM

is this a "Dating Seminar for Older Men" thread?....

Apr 30, 2015, 12:48 PM

and can we expect a guest appearance from Slurrier?

either way, Crump won't like that.

Players at Bama, OU, Texas, and Ohio State

Apr 30, 2015, 10:50 PM

never get in trouble before their career is over. Because uniforms.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 3,393
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic