Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This one's for us old guys (and gals.)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

This one's for us old guys (and gals.)

Aug 15, 2019, 8:01 AM

Yesterday I went to the arthritis doc and got a steroid shot in the base of my left thumb. (I am left handed.) It had got to hurting so badly I can barely hold a pen and sign my name. I have had steroid shots before, including one in a different joint in that same thumb, which did not hurt much at all. But THIS shot hurt as badly as anything I ever felt other than waking up from heart bypass surgery. I mean, HURT! So, my question is, did he shoot it into the BONE instead of the joint. Anybody had similar experiences? My only similar one was the 2nd spinal tap I had done many years ago. That felt like they had shot off my right leg, yesterday felt similar?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This one's for us old guys (and gals.)

Aug 15, 2019, 8:12 AM

Haven't had the shot (yet), but I do have that terrible arthritic pain in my thumb joints. I've found that Blue-Emu gives almost instant relief, and after hearing of your experience, I'll avoid the shot as long as I can and hope the Emu continues to do its thing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 8:39 AM

Richard Petty and Johnny Bench say use Blue Emu. That is good enough for me. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 8:23 AM

You sure he mixed in the Novocaine?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, he "froze" the area with Methyl Chloride ahead of the

Aug 15, 2019, 8:30 AM

shot. And, the needle didn't hurt going in. But, when he pushed that plunger, all bets were off! Only the 2nd time in my life I screamed from a needle, as I said, the first was when they put the dye in my spine for a spinal tap years ago, and the pressure hit the nerves going down my right leg like a shotgun blast. Yes, you can run a river of sweat down a cold steel table.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m old - and in keeping with current trends -

Aug 15, 2019, 8:27 AM

I “identify as gender type ‘predominantly male’ (ie., if I had experienced the procedures and associated pain(s) you have described, I would have cried like a girl).

Unfortunately, I can offer no advice or commiserate in any way on bypasses, spinal taps, steroid shots and the like. However, I would like to request that you continue to share your medical procedures, aches and pains, as I realize that even though I’m old, worn out, broke down, and everything hurts - I need to start taking notes because it’s probably going to get worse....

Your questioning whether the doc may have injected steroids into the bone reminded me of that old joke:

You know what they call the med student that finishes last in their class?

Good luck with the arthritis ‘76!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: I’m old - and in keeping with current trends -

Aug 15, 2019, 8:32 AM

I get the joke. I have often over the years wondered whether I was dealing with an A Doc, or a D Doc. But, they call them all "Doctor". At least, I think that was the point of the old joke.

Aug 15, 2019, 8:47 AM

He hit a nerve... no pun!! Had same issue in my knee a few years back...God awful pain from the needle. Dr. told me afterwards he accidentally hit a nerve. Wow that was sum kinda pain!! Good luck...u should not hv tht again, I would hope not! Peace my friend

Not what I needed to hear.

Aug 15, 2019, 10:16 AM

I woke up a couple of months ago with an extremely painful thumb. No injury or event I can think of that caused it, but if anything touched my thumb the pain was excruciating. Lots of ibuprofen seems to help some, but does not provide total relief, and of course it wears off in a couple of hours. I'm sure it's arthritis and have been working myself up for a doctor's appointment. Getting old blows.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Not what I needed to hear.

Aug 15, 2019, 10:54 AM

Sounds like it could have been Gout. If it was swollen and red, most definitely. My family doctor gave the best "test" for Gout that I have ever heard. He said if it even hurts for the bedsheet to touch it, it is probably Gout. Got it once in one of my big toes, and was he ever right! Gout is caused by Uric Acid crystals in the joint, feels like ice cracking up in there when you try to move it. Stabs like it too! Yep, getting old is not for the faint at heart.

Aug 15, 2019, 11:03 AM

I thought about gout, but no redness or swelling whatsoever. Could be though, I guess. The first few days I couldn't stand for anything to touch it. Much better now - been loading up on CBD oil, and that has helped.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Aug 15, 2019, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Not what I needed to hear. ]

Down here in the PeeDee lots of people call gout "gouch". I have had it since 1985 and it has flared up in my big toes, wrist joint, knee joint and the only way to fix it is to drink lots of water. This I believe somehow dissolves the uric acid crystals in the joint and after a couple days will go back to normal. Try the hydration(water) method when you get a touch of the "gouch".....

Aug 15, 2019, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Not what I needed to hear. ]

Reminds me of my friend's comment on aging: "Being old is not a problem, but GROWING OLD is the pits!!"

Aug 15, 2019, 10:27 AM

I read this to see if I fit the description and thankfully I do not. Not there yet, with emphasis on the "yet". Sorry for your pain, but thanks for the comforting notion that things could always be worse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 10:40 AM

Every steroid shot I've gotten was in my posterior. But I wasn't dealing with joint pain.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Barry, is that you? I thought you were just on the "cream

Aug 15, 2019, 10:56 AM

and the clear" flaxseed oil!

Had a similar issue with an injection in my shoulder.

Aug 15, 2019, 11:10 AM

I think it was due to hydraulic pressure of a viscous fluid being injected into a small space that's already irritated. Didn't hurt as bad the second time, and two shots were all I needed to reduce the inflammation (and I got a pull cart for the golf clubs and quit bowling).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 11:13 AM

Yes the arterial stick prior to bypass surgery was easily the worse pain I've ever felt. the Recovery from quadruple bypass was easy compared to the 10 second time that the nurse took to draw the blood from that artery in the wrist.

Hey 76er, I also graduated in 1976 and, have had surgery....

Aug 15, 2019, 11:24 AM

on my right thumb for all of the same reasons you are in pain and, many of the other guys who responded, are having a lot of pain. The Trapezium bone at the base of the thumb (first) metacarpal, deteriorates from over use. Mine got so painful 6 years ago, that I couldn't button my shirt and pull up my zipper (don't worry, I didn't leave the house with my zipper down!). I had carpometacarpal arthroplasty surgery in Nov. of 2013. My left thumb has now gotten to the point where I may need it on that joint, as well. The doctor told me there was nothing left of the Trapezium bone and that it was just a mushy paste when he opened up my joint.

Bottomline, sounds like you and several guys on Tigernet need the surgery.

Good luck!

Well, I read this thread primarily to determine if I'm old..

Aug 15, 2019, 11:32 AM

Nothing in the replies has helped, other than a few of you sharing your grad year. That alone gives me pause, so I'm simply going to step away from this thread and enjoy my self-delusion! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 11:31 AM

Regret to learn of the aches and pains of you older guys and gals (the words thus far are sincere) but this does give me an idea of what I can expect from a physical standpoint when I get old.

Several years ago I had a severe pain in my heels. Doc told me it was gout. Gave me a prescription and have had no problem since.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 12:56 PM

Just another sign that you are an amazing individual, Sir Joe! I have a brother in law who is 75 years old and is not on ANY daily medication. The only medical issue he had was a knee that he got replaced a couple of years ago. I envy him, a lot.

Aug 15, 2019, 12:24 PM

If you want to experience REAL PAIN, continuous real pain for days, try getting hit by lightning. Hence the name - Orange Lightning.

You weren't holding up a 1 iron, were you?

Aug 15, 2019, 12:58 PM

Lee Trevino doesn't make jokes like that anymore.

Re: You weren't holding up a 1 iron, were you?

Aug 15, 2019, 3:24 PM

76er. I was thinking the same thing. !!!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic